“Surrounded by palm trees and friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bush Village Budget Cabins to your Saves list
Bush Village Budget Cabins
2 St Martins Rd, Cannonvale, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802 , Australia   |
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Surrounded by palm trees and friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Three of us stayed here in a triple room couple of nights before and after sailing in Whitsundays. The main thing for us was 3 single beds and air-con. We found that being OK. The room was spacious and clean although a bit worn-out and ants, spiders and small lizards were keeping us company time to time (no cockroaches tho):) Keeping in mind that we were in tropical area and "Bush Village" it was totally fine! You have palm trees around and coconuts. So you just go outside your cabin, find one, make a hole and now you can sip coconut milk :) We found it being really cool :) I'm not sure if they have BBQ places but we found few just on the other side of the road.
The place is about 15 minutes walk to city center or you can take a bus. Staff is really friendly - one of the guys offered us a ride as he was going to Airlie, another let us have a room till 4pm on check out with not extra charge!
Thank you guys! Will see you if we are back in Airlie someday.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Firstly they confirmed one price on the phone and then in person and just as we were to leave we found they had authorised our credit card with another value (more obviously), we were in a rush for our plane so we had little time to argue. They also put the transaction through days earlier without our authorisation - i call this fraud!!

We were charged hotel prices yet had to a) wash outrown dishes and return them to our bedroom (??), b) be up for a ridiculous 7am breakfast of nasty burnt "muffins" c) change our own linen. Yet they supposedly "service our rooms" daily. Please explain. if this is a down and dirty hostel pls charge accordingly

The place is shabby and dirty and house-keeping non-existent

The "Managers" are couple who, when they stop snogging and groping eachother (gross)
do little more than cross-sell their boat trips. They moan about other clients, don't keep their word re prices confirmed until after it is too late (get everything in writing), and make stupid statements such as "breakfast is so early because it's convenient for us!!!". Nice "management" and "customer service" style!!

They are located off the main drag so you'll be able to sleep but you have to wait for the shuttle to do anything or resort to expensive cabs!! Plus they only come hourly and not in the evenings so you're stuck. if you come in a busy period good luck because they don't do double shifts. The driver was always complaining about the place too! Says it all!

Really not sure what the "management" do nor why the Lonely Planet recommended it. Obviously they have lower standards in Oz than elsewhere their books are published (i always use the Lonely Planet and always happy

DON'T GO THERE!!!!! We returned a few weeks later and chose an amazing place called "waterfront apts". It ticked all the boxes and GREAT service!!

Room Tip: Don't go!! Save your money
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Kendal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Stayed here over Christmas, and while the staff are very friendly, it's not a great place. For a start it's too far away and the walk is over two massive hills on a busy main road. There is a bus service but it was often late. Cabins are very mediocre, not been updated for years and years. Internet was way over priced at $1 every 10 minutes. No need to charge this much. Decent little pool and breakfast was good enough, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

We stayed here for two nights in a double room.
The room was excellent, with all the necessary facilities. It looks new! The bathroom was so nice!
There's a little patio so you can eat outside under a palm tree!
There's a very nice free breakfast with toast, jam, warm muffin or cereal. Great!!!
The location is about 1 km from town but there is a boardwalk along the ocean to town, a nice walk. 'Coles' is nearby, that's an advantage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
traveling!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Yes, the managers (owners) are amazingly friendly, but the hostel when it comes to the price you pay and what you receive, is far from being good.
It's not cheap, and since it isn't, you would expect great quality. Well, it doesn't deliver. Hot water is barely achieved after letting the shower run for 8 minutes (taking away all the eco-friendly business of the equation).
The cabins lack basic things: no trashcans, but instead plastic boxes with bags. AC extremely noisy.
Again, if you would be paying little money, it would be great, but you aren't. That's the problem.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
owner-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Come back and visit us now (March 2011) we have just upgraded nearly all of the cabins.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

First of all, the backpacker is far from the city center, so if u have heavy things to carry, be sure to check the courtesy bus timetable. The rooms are old and run-down, barely clean...
The first person we met at the reception was really nice and helpful though, and that's a shame that was the only one...
Our stay there became Hell when we've been asked to pay extra for pretty much everything (luggages storage, extra shower...)!

The only 2 free things there, were the BF and the owner's bad behavior. He stalked us to a friend's bungallow to make sure we wouldn't have a shower at the Bush Village without paying, and even CHECKED if our hair, towels or bathroom floor were wet!!!
DO YOU REALLY WANNA FEEL LIKE A FUGITIVE FOR EVERYTHING U DO?? It's like asking u parents for permission when u're not a child anymore.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I must say I am very uncertain on how to proceed with this review, as there were some very good aspects, but then some very poor aspects!! I was greeted at 7am from my Greyhound bus and then transferred to the Bush Village, because of the early hour I was unable to get into my cabin until 11 am as I had to wait for the people in there to check out and then wait for the room to be cleaned. To pass the time they offered complimentary breakfast of fruit and cereal and toast, and I just sat in the common room watching TV and going on the internet which I believe was $2 for 20minutes. When I got into my deluxe room it comprised of 2 bunk beds, a kitchen area with a TV, fridge and gas hob, a shower room and a small porch. However, in the kitchen area there were quite a few ants running around the counters and floors, which made me not want to eat in there. Luckily the ants did not come into the sleeping area. I slept on the bottom bunk and the matress was so thin I couold feel the bars under it, also the blinds were broke so people could see into my room. Despite this I slept really well. The next I day I went on a 2day cruise around the Whitsundays and then returned to Bush for one more night. I was in a different cabin this time, but it had the same set up, just alot more ants and this time in the sleeping area. The girls I shared with went to reception and they gave us a can of ant killer which was very effective! This time I was on the top bunk and it was so creeky and wobbly! I honestly thought it was going to collapse under my weight as I got up!! The bush has a great shuttle system as it really is miles away from the main area, although extremely close to a Coles. I took a shuttle at 6,30am for my coach, and thestaff were friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Bush Village Budget Cabins? Share your experiences!