“Magical, Cathartic, Romantic, Heaven...” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Explore Package
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Magical, Cathartic, Romantic, Heaven...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I have had the pleasure and blessing to spend time in many luxury resorts/boutique hotels throughout the world and our recent stay at the Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa is right up there with our most magical and memorable trips, ever.
Prior to our trip, I read many of the TripAdvisor reviews of the previous Alila. For us, the new “Hyatt-izing” of the property was immediately apparent with many of the earlier criticisms addressed and corrected, although the management of the hotel we spoke to during our stay said there is a great deal more planned in the near future. Regardless, we pretty much enjoyed a perfect experience.
In order to arrive on a morning flight into Male (and thus avoid having to stay in a hotel near the airport overnight), we started our trip with three days playing tourist in Colombo. Thus, we had an 8am flight, arriving into Male about 9am. We were met at the int’l airport exit by a Hyatt hotel rep who whisked us to the domestic airport (and put us in the vip lounge for refreshments/cold towel). I recall we had a 9:40am flight to the atoll and then a pleasant one-hour boat ride to the resort, arriving about 1pm. I think those that complain about the location/trek misunderstand that this is in fact the allure of the Park Hyatt Maldives: the remoteness of this pristine atoll is what makes the resort and the eco-system surrounding it so precious. We felt privileged to be able to experience such a rare and important treasure on this planet, and to stay in a property where the management and staff appreciate and understand how crucial it is to protect the atoll and its environs.
As for the local staff and “smiles”, we received nothing but the most courteous, professional and cheerful service throughout our five-night stay (perhaps this was one of the first changes the Hyatt implemented after their management takeover 1 April). We were met at the resort dock by several of the hotel staff, given a tour of the resort by golf buggy and then taken directly to our room and introduced to our personal butler. One welcoming chocolate brownie and perfectly chilled lemon grass ice tea (no sugar: finally a hotel has their welcome drink right…no sugary, syrupy welcome drink!) later, we were molding ourselves into the outdoor lounge sofa on our # 51 water villa deck . Good-bye Blackberry (well, not quite, even our water villa, which was the most remote one—I had requested the water villa farthest away from humanity—had excellent wireless and GPS connections, but the lull of the waves had us winding down very fast…my husband managed to read a couple of books, but I mostly spent my time being mesmerized by the 360 degree view of the natural aquarium that surrounded our villa).
Again, the Park Hyatt must have improved the a/c units in the rooms since their management takeover as our room was icy cold. True, during the day with the sun glaring in it was a bit warmer, but we still had to turn the a/c down or off several times during the day. The water villas’ exteriors have weathered some but to us it was charming (very New England) and nothing that some staining won’t “fix”. There was a steady wind outside our room and it was so lovely that I slept outside two nights on the very comfy deck sofa (as my husband loves a freezing room and I prefer a warm wind outside apparently…). The sun would blast the room/deck by about noon, so I asked for an outdoor umbrella but the wind was so strong that this proved impossible, so by noontime each day, we’d either switch sides of the villa (to the front door deck area where it was also nice to put out a chair and read with lagoon view) or take a nap, or go Bell’s Bar which has a fabulous beach/ocean view.
We thoroughly enjoyed our meals at the resort and the staff was efficient, fast and again, cheerful/courteous. (And, we met several Asians who seemed to be enjoying their stay as much as we were so again, perhaps the Hyatt training has kicked in….). Breakfast was included in our room package and it was so plentiful (and tasty) that we didn’t need to eat lunch. When you consider this is a remote island with most everything shipped in, it is extraordinary that they can serve such sumptuous cuisine each day (one of the Hyatt managers told me that they will be growing more of their own produce on the island and buy as much local produce from nearby islands in the future as well. They have their own desalination facility on the island and they also crush/recycle glass/waste as much as possible, etc.).
Battuta was lovely and we had fresh Maldivian cuisine the first two nights but by night three we wanted something more Western/comfort food and dined near the pool at the main restaurant ordering off the lunch menu! The staff/chefs had no problem switching up the menus or serving food from one restaurant to another location (we enjoyed sitting in the main restaurant or Bell’s Bar to enjoy the ocean view). Our final night at the resort, we had a romantic beach dinner with the beach/ocean view all to ourselves (and even if the entire 50 rooms were full, the villas/beach is so well spaced that you rarely see any other guests…except at the restaurants; very easy to plan a romantic dinner or private party….). We were so full after our beach dinner that we had to take the dessert back to our room with us.
Complimentary afternoon tea is still available at Battuta but little nibbles are no longer being served as the Hyatt staff explained that not many people partake of the service (which is understandable as Battuta is lovely for dinner but it is self-contained and does not have an ocean view—rather strange to break up an afternoon to specifically go for tea in this venue….). Instead, your room butler now brings wonderful little desserts to your villa late afternoon which you can have for tea, or save for dessert later that night, or for tea in your own villa the next day; a much better idea!
As you can’t bring alcohol into the Maldives, we expected the alcohol prices in the resort to be exorbitant since we knew we’d be a captive audience. However, we were really happily surprised. First, the Park Hyatt Maldives has a generous happy hour. Indeed, the price for a cocktail is about US$ 16 but happy hour gets you two for the price of one, so this worked out to what we normally pay for a cocktail in most Asian capitols. After we drank the bar out of mint (delay of delivery due to high waves) the bartender improvised and made fab basil mojitos….! We had a lovely New Zealand bottle of wine each night with dinner (the wine cellar relatively diverse and quite reasonable compared to what we expected).
We didn’t engage in any activities other than snorkeling. We had planned to go out and do some dolphin spotting and the resident marine biologist Arrabelle (who is just wonderful and happy to sit and answer questions about the diverse marine life/environmental projection/projects they are working on in this atoll and throughout the Maldives) gave us a 30-minute intro to the area’s dolphins. Unfortunately that day the waves were too rough to go out, but over the next three days we daily saw a pod of dolphins swimming past our room (about noon, and then again just before sunset!). We also saw a Nurse shark and Blacktip reef shark swimming a few meters from our balcony. We were too lazy to go where the resort’s best snorkeling was (off the “sunset” dock....) but we snorkeled right off the ladder from our water villa and saw thousands of fish and an entirely healthy coral reef….beyond stunning!
Finally, to add to our absolute pleasure of our stay with the Park Hyatt Maldives, I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and we were able to use my points to stay the fifth night for free (which is a great return on point value). And, as our flight out of Male on the 6th day was at 10pm, the Hyatt management kindly allowed us to stay in our room until 5pm, just in time to catch the boat and domestic plane ride, thus we had five nights and six full days of this ultimate paradise. We are fairly jaded tourists/travelers at this point, but due to the resort itself, the location/pristine reef, our fabulous room at the end of the pier where you see nothing but the ocean and sky, and the hospitality of this amazing Park Hyatt staff, we were both awed with a renewed sense of wonder and the magic of nature (and being utterly spoiled!).

Room Tip: depends beach or over-water preference
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I spent 8 nights in Park Hyatt(it was called Alila Villas Hadahaa in July 2010). I have never lived something like this in my whole life.Luxurious atmosphere, natural beauty, comfortable villas with pools and private beach and pesonal hosts ready to fulfill your deepest desires.The restaurant served ala carte dishes equal to 5 star restaurants that have won prizes for their cuisine. The spa center had a big variety of different types of massage and other treatments. The hotel staff, from the the general manager to the F&B manager(very interesting and polite Greek guy) and our personal host Husein(local from a close island) was professional, friendly and did their best to satisfy our needs and wants. At last, the most important factor that turned our stay unfporgettable was the sea and the reef itself. Full of fish, clean and clear,warm and ideal for snorkelling or scuba.Higly recommended!

Room Tip: Villas 14-16 due to privacy and better sea
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

First of all, I think the staff is well intentioned and I like the hotel's clean, minimal, modern design (as I have liked all the Alila Villas and former Alila Villas I have visited in Luang Prabang and Bali). That said, the service is uneven. The two lady receptionists do not smile or pay attention to you. The one Asian receptionist made no eye contact during check out and seemed to be scowling. The staff is not proactive. No one gets you a towel or water when you sit at the beach. We ordered ice tea from one of the jetty lounges. Never came. Wanted to buy a postcard as we were departing, but the shop was closed and no one could open it. Then there are the hardware problems. For a 2 year old hotel, don't expect cushions to be stained or sliding doors to rust and creak. The air conditioning in the water villas are ineffective. In one room we could not get the temperature below 26 degrees and the humidity made the sheets feel damp. We changed rooms, but was still bit too warm. Not what you expect from rooms that cost around $1,000 a night. Finally, it's a trek. An hour and a half flight time from Male then another hour boat ride. The house reefs are stunning, and I do like the beaches and the food in the main dining room. But for my money, at an Aman or say Four Seasons, service is much more attentive. We visited the new Jumeirah on the way home. Everyone was smiling. The hardware was beautiful. The air conditioning was cold.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

1. The towel supply around pool and beach is extremely slow and have to wait for half hour or more to get a towel..The last day, May 1 morning, when I finish swimming in the beach and found no towel available around the beach and pool, I walk to outside the reception and ask one staff for a towel, he said yes but I did not get the towel after waiting for half hour. We couldn’t wait and changed our cloth in the restroom…. If you don’t have enough staff providing poolside service, you can put a towel bar beside the poor and let customers help themselves taking the towel. In my last vacation in Four Seasons and St Regis, when we were going to sit on the daybed, the waiter took towels and put it one the daybed for us. Is Park Hyatt inferior to the aforementioned hotels?
2. The second night 4/28 when we order our dinner, the waiter was very impolite to us. Our villa was 45. We bought half board. When I ordered my dinner, I choose one salad, one appetizer, two soups and two main for me and my husband but the waiter said: “wait a minute, did you have half board or not? You can only have three courses, the extra must be charged." I replied:" yes, we bought half board and I don't want dissert. Is there any problem?" The waiter at the first night already told us that if we don't want dissert we can have one more soup or salad...I've never been treated like this... This should not be the quality of Park Hyatt. But the other waiters were all very nice, like Halleen, the one who serve our dishes ( I forgot to see his name tag)…
3. The first two days I stayed in Hadahaa, I found your staffs were unhappy, the waiters in restaurant, our butler, the staffs in diving center looked worried, I also heard the manager in diving center talking on the phone about salary not coming… (If I did not heard the wrong thing) May be it is the problem of transition of two different hotel manager, but it really affect our mood for our vacation. After the third day, they look happier, however. But it isn’t right for customers to see the mood of service provider especially in such a high level hotel.
4. The house keeping didn’t clean our room around noon on 4/28. After we finished our house reef snorkeling trip and swimming around the main pool, we came back around 4:00PM and found no body cleaned our room. I asked Junior and Glen they said they will check for us and the house keeping finally came around 5-6PM. I still didn’t get any reason or apology from it. Is it normal for your hotel level like this?

I didn’t complaint directly to general manager in Hadahaa because I did not want to ruin my mood for our relaxation and 5th year wedding anniversary. The environment and water villa are really great for us. And we really enjoy the peaceful time there. I like the clear blue water and white sand beach, the beautiful house reef and fishes in the sea. But the small things I mentioned above were the points that I think you should manage to improve.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at the resort in February 2011. I finally have some free time to post my feedback. While we were there the resort was still under Alila Villa's management. We had no idea that Park Hyatt was about to take over though looking back there were signs that something wasn't quite right with the way the place was functioning. I'll try and break the review up into logical sections so people can scan through it easily.

Booking the Resort:
Choosing and booking the resort was a process that required its own post. See my post: Maldives Forum: Choosing a Resort and Travel Agent - Lessons Learnt. We ended up booking with Linara Travel and they were fantastic from start to finish. Everything went smoothly including all transfers.

Getting There:
We flew through KL to Male and stayed the night at the airport hotel as we arrived in the evening. The airport hotel was average but was ok for an overnight stay. The next day we met the Alila representative at the domestic terminal. He organised the check in and took us to the VIP departure lounge. From there we flew on a Maldivian flight to a an island close to the resort. Be warned, the flight sometimes makes a stop at another island on the way (with a similar name). We almost had some tourists get off by mistake :) From the regional airport it is about an hour on a speedboat to reach the resort. The ride was surprisingly smooth. So getting there is certainly a bit of a hike but the place is ridiculously beautiful so its well worth it! I don't think I would recommend it to people with kids though. The staff at the resort told us that the local government is expected to allow seaplanes in the near future as there are other resorts opening in the area. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. There is something romantic about just how remote this place is, its part of its charm.

The Island:
The island is really really beautiful. The architecture just blends in with the natural beauty of the place. There was lots of wild life, we saw geckos, lizards and lots of different crabs. The island is clean and so is the ocean. A bit of rubbish still washes up on the shores daily but the staff cleans it up quickly (the rubbish is not from the resort it is from the neighbouring islands). The island itself is very small but feels bigger than it is, mainly due to the way it is laid out. The reef around the island is magnificent. We went snorkelling daily. My partner also went diving on two occasions and he really enjoyed it. They make you do a refresher diving course but it sounds like a good idea. They used to get people who were licensed but not so skilled and as a result would cause damage to coral. This way unless you can prove you know how to move in the water properly you don't get to go. Its not very expensive to do so I don't think people shouldn't complain about it. They have a duty to preserve the reef.

Accommodation:
There are 3 types of villas available: island villas, island villas with a pool and water villas. We stayed 5 days in a island villa and 2 in water villa. Both were wonderful experiences. I strongly recommend you try and do both as they are very different experiences. The island villas are a lot more private and are sheltered by greenery so they are not as warm. The water villas on the other hand are in full sun and air conditioning is poorly designed (I'm an engineer, trust me its average).
As a result be prepared to be a bit warm in some water villas if it is a really hot day. Management was trying to deal with the problem by applying films to glazing. This has had some success but has not fixed the fundamental problems with the design of the system. I think they are aware of it and trying to deal with it. It was nice though to be able to go snorkeling straight of the villa. Keep in mind though that you may not be able to do this depending on which villa you get (it may be too shallow to do this if you get one of the villas closer to the beach). It was not so nice to accidentally see our middle aged neighbour sunbathing topless, as I said water villas are not as private :). Water villas are also more run down than island ones, due to being exposed to harsher conditions. It is striking just how much some of them have deteriorated given the age of the buildings. Maintaining them certainly appears to be a challenge. The villas are generally clean and get made up twice a day but for some reason there was no “do not disturb” sign which sucked if you wanted privacy. Sure you could call your cleaner and cancel but one time he misunderstood us and came knocking on the door instead. Its such an easy thing to do, I hope new management implements it.

Food:
Food was hit and miss and I think it depended on who was in charge. Battuta's was excellent every single time, both the service and the food. However you could only have dinner there so the rest of the meals we had to have at the main dining room. There it was hit and miss. Some days it would be the most awesome meal ever and the next time it would be average. One time my husband ordered a burger, well done. He took a bite but it was still bleeding on the inside. We sent it back and they just cooked it a bit more, reassembled it and brought it back, no apology or anything. Breakfast service was sometimes excellent sometimes painfully slow. One morning there was even a bug in my juice. Frequently if they were out of something they would just exclude it or replace it with something else without telling you. The thing that annoyed me the most was when we went on a fishing trip. This was one of the experiences. We got to catch our own fish and they were meant to cook it for us. We caught two good size fish but somehow we ended up being served two small fish. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't like we starved but the whole point of the experience was to eat what we caught. Anyway enough about that. I think we just got really unlucky with some of our restaurant experiences. If the same happens to you the key is not to let the bad service get you down. The bottom line is that in Maldives by law a large percentage of resort staff has to be from Maldives. There are no great hospitality schools in Maldives so you have to give staff some slack even if you are paying the top dollar to be there. They are generally very friendly, just not well trained. Also I am sure that some of the bad service was as a result of staff's resentment towards management and perhaps the knowledge that resort ownership was going to change.

Activities:
We didn't do too many activities. We spent most of time snorkeling and soaking in the sunshine. As I said my husband did some diving and we went on a fishing trip which was fun. We tried yoga and it was average. Maybe I have been lucky to have had some good yoga teachers in the past but honestly save yourself the money and don't bother. I think most of all we enjoyed the walks on the beach and daily snorkeling.

Little Extras:
As we were on our honeymoon we got a few extra surprises thrown in. One evening we came back to our room to a bubble bath filled with flower petals. Another night it was a bottle of wine and one nigh we had a special honeymoon dinner. :)

Checkout:
Checkout was smooth and without a problem. I did wonder why no one gave us a chance to fill out a feedback form but now it makes sense. On the way back to the airport our speedboat guide showed us a few islands where new resorts are being built. We had some spare time so he also took us to one of the local islands which was very nice of him.

All in All:
Reading this review you may feel a bit unsure about the place but keep this in mind that for every bad thing I pointed out there were at least 10 awesome things. I like to point negatives out so that people can know what is the worst they can expect. Chances are overall it will be awesome, especially given the change in management. All in all we had a wonderful holiday, the place is magical and is a perfect destination for a honeymoon. its not perfect but its pretty close ;)

If you want any more info feel free to send me a private message :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We have just arrived home having spent almost 3 weeks at this wonderful hotel! The service was excellent mainly due to the support of our superb and efficient Personal Host 'Hussein'

The management team must have been 'cherry picked' for their discerning and professional abilities, Jerome Pagnier (Restaurant Manager) looked after us extremely well, whilst Didier Derouet (Pastry Chef) created some of the most delicious desserts we have ever tasted!

Frederico Mantoani (General Manager) is a very personable and professional individual, who was instrumental in making our stay a most memorable experience.

Room Tip: Best room - Beach Villa
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed at the Park Hyatt from Apr 1- 5 just when it was going through the transition from Alila to Park Hyatt and overall we had a very comfortable stay.

Before I get into the details, the main reason we chose this resort is due to the location and the corals/sea life in this atoll and this is our 5th trip to Maldives and by far this resort has got the best corals/sea life we have seen anywhere in Maldives. That is without a doubt and I can't fully describe how beautiful the corals are around the resort, unspoiled corals and wonderful mixture of fish in them. In most of the other resorts we have stayed at, we normally do snorkeling excursions to go to different spots where corals will be good, but here all we had to do was jump into the ocean from our water villa and coral gardens were there right there in our door step. Quiet breathtaking and we saw a combination of fishes near our villa to the likes of nemo, reef sharks, eagle ray, tuna, etc etc. we saw so many reef sharks than any other place we have seen them, so if you are a shark lover this place has got it abundantly. We did a fair few dives and again the dive sites were pristine, beautiful reefs and corals and sealife is brilliant. We saw plenty of rays, black/white tip reef sharks, napoleon fish, tuna etc etc. we were told by the staff that on occasion you can see dolphins crossing near the resort, but during our stay we did not see any.

We flew into Male late in the evening around 10:00PM and we did the same day transfer to the resort. Not the easiest thing to do, but we wanted to do the same day transfer so we have ample time in the resort itself. We did the domestic flight to Kaadedhdhoo airport (60 minutes ride) where we were greeted by the Park Hyatt staff and then whisked away to the speed boat that was waiting to transfer us to the resort. The speedboat transfer took about 70 minutes and we reached the resort around 2:00am (resort time is 1 hr late than male time). Even at that late time there was a few of the resort staff waiting at the jetty to welcome us which was quiet nice and then our personal host took us to our villa and did the check in procedures. Overall not a fairly smooth transfer even that late in the night.

We stayed in a water villa and my initial impression of the villa was its modern, well spaced out and and well equipped. There was a few design flaws in the water villa, smaller things such as there was shower head near the ladder leading to the ocean from the villa which would have been handy especially when we were getting back into the villa. But the major flaw for us was that in the late afternoon sunshine comes directly villa and the temperature inside the villa goes up to 29 degrees even though aircon was on full flow. But we heard from our host that the management are planning to do address them soon.

Breakfast at the resort was excellent. It was all all-carte made to order and the combination of food served was well balanced and nutritious. We tried dinner at both the restaurants and found the dinner at Battuta's was excellent.

Service at the resort was at fair level, we have stayed at some other properties in Maldives where they tend to set standards for service level, but then again we didn’t had much to complain as well at the park hyatt. Overall the staff was courteous and willing to help if you approach them.

We celebrated my wife’s birthday there and I wanted to do a surprise dinner for my wife and the manager was more than willing to sit down with me, even worked on the menu with me and then set it up brilliantly. The manager was there for the transition period from Park Hyatt Dubai property and he was brilliant always approaching us every day and making sure everything is going fine.

WiFi is available all around the resort, but the WiFi speed was so slow it was almost like a dial up connection speed. Something the management can work and fix.

I hit the gym a couple of times and it was a tiny gym with some equipments not working. I would have expected a bit more bigger setup for the gym.

Overall a very comfortable stay for us at the Park Hyatt and it’s a good gem of a property which is secluded, gifted with great corals/reefs surrounding them.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa? Share your experiences!