“Heaven on earth – perfect honeymoon destination” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Honeymoon Specials
Maroochydore, Australia
“Heaven on earth – perfect honeymoon destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We traveled to Huvafen for our honeymoon on 1st April this year, and its fair to say that you could not wipe the smile from our faces from the moment we arrived. We felt like 2 kids in a candy store. We were greeted with lovely refreshing drinks and given a personal tour around the resort by our thakuru, Didi. The whole place seemed really really quiet and peaceful, even though it was apparently at 80-90% capacity.
We had a lagoon bungalow, and it was absolutely incredible. We loved the stylish decor and open layout, especially the bathroom, and the view from the balcony was almost too good to be true. We spent much of the first day lazing around our private plunge pool, soaking up the sun, drinking champagne (they gave us a free bottle for our honeymoon, then we made use of the mini bar and room service!), it was truly wonderful.
During our stay we made the most of the luxurious infinity pool, which seemed to be empty most of the time, and the lovely 'relaxation areas' scattered around the island – especially loved the swing bed, I now want one in my back yard. We did heaps of snorkeling, the house reef was exceptional especially in front of the ocean bungalows, the visibility superb and marine life plentiful. I remember my husband saying to me 'does it get any better than this?!', seconds later 3 eagle rays swam right in front of us – it was really incredible! We loved the reef shark feeding frenzies that seemed to occur every morning at breakfast – so rare to experience this kind of thing so close up.
The scuba diving was also great - we only just got our tickets before we left home and the Maldives was my husbands first ocean dive - so we were smiling from ear to ear. It was fantastic to go diving off the luxury dhonis and the dive equipment was all in excellent condition. Definitely a highlight for us.
The sunset cruise was also very romantic, it is a pity the American couple that shared it with us couldn't even manage a hello... but not too worry.
The day spa is amazing, and we enjoyed a couples massage in the over water rooms. The underwater spa costs an additional $100 per person on top of the treatment price, which we thought was a bit over the top – and I think the overwater rooms are better for massage as you have your face down and there is a glass floor so you can see the ocean beneath. Really lovely day spa, I wish we had more time (and money) to spend there.
The food overall was excellent. Probably too good - we ate far too much! We found generally the pricing for food was quite reasonable, no more than we would pay in a restaurant at home. In saying this they did have special dinners arranged every night that were quite pricey - but sounded heavenly. We did the Maldivian Seafood bbq the night we arrived and although $90 pp it was the most incredible, fresh seafood buffet I have ever seen. The hours they put into the presentation was truly amazing – and the array of seafood was like nothing we'd ever seen. Some of the other diners also sounded great, however cost between $150 - $240 per person.
I was very glad we decided not to go half or full board, it would not be worth your while as you can only eat at Celcius (or get a small discount at the other restaurants), and it is very reasonably priced. Our bill for dinner never got to $100 for both our meals including drinks.
Wine is very expensive, however beers, cocktails and spirits were very reasonably priced, which suited us fine as this is what we felt like drinking on the hot days, lazying by the pool. Conrad the bartender made sure we were never thirsty and we made a ritual of attending the cocktail hour almost every afternoon, the bar and deck area were perfect for watching the sunset and all the beautiful lighting come on – the place was transformed every night. There has been a lot of thought go into the design and layout of this place and we certainly appreciated it!
What more to say? I'm sure everyone has a slightly different experience. We had magnificent weather which I think makes a big difference, I wouldn't want to be stuck out in an over water bungalow when the weather is wet and windy. Its definitely a place for couples seeking quiet relaxation in pure luxury. Not a place for kids, they would get bored easily. The staff were all very friendly to us and the service was excellent. Anyone that thinks otherwise must have a chip on their shoulder.
We stayed 6 days/5 nights which we felt was long enough, its not a huge island... although maybe just one more day beside the infinity pool with a good book and a pina colada...
Definitely worth spending a bit more to stay here, we have no regrets and hope we can one day return!
Holly & Damien

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed in a lagoon bungalow at Huvafen Fushi for a week during April 2010. This place is simply fantastic and far exceeded my already very high expectations. The lagoon bungalow with plunge pool was huge and offered far superior views in my than the slightly larger and more expensive ocean bungalows on the other side. I can see that for some the ocean bungalows might offer slightly more privacy, in that they just look straight out to sea and a horizon while the lagoon bungalows overlook the boats entering and leaving but my wife personally liked the activity as well as the huge contrast in colours that the lagoon offers. The service across all parts of the resort was first class while also managing to be relaxed and not in your face the whole time. For those who like to dive I found the diving school in particular to be excellent and very personal and helpful. Diving also was very reasonably priced in my view, especially when compared on a relative basis with some of the other activities on the island. For a $104 you get a tank dive with a boat and crew and personal instructor. The boat is great and is the same one that the island rents out to individuals on a daily basis for something like $1000. For a tenth of this you essentially get the boat to yourself anyway, with a crew and service and a dive. The food on the resort was also great across the range of restaurants. We really enjoyed the themed dinners that they put on most evenings, things like champagne lobster dinner where you have an open buffet of lobster, steaks, tuna steaks and sushi with a bottle of champagne although some may find the price at nearly 600 notes for two brutal. We spent most of our time in our lagoon bungalow although when we ventured out to the resort pool or to the general facilities you get an amazing sense of how private the island is. There are a total of 43 rooms I believe and the island is very small, that said although they were running at 90-100pc capacity during our stay we saw very very few other guests at all. I know that some people will moan about the costs of this place – I mean $305 for an hour on a jet ski is on the steep side but frankly if you drive a Ferrari and are always checking how much the petrol costs you are simply in the wrong car. This place is first class

Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed 3 nights for my honeymoon in the plunge pool ocean bungalow lagoon view. Amazing. Everything was perfect since the first moment we were picked up at the airport and until being dropped off to the airport. Service staff were the best, I dont think I was ever treated this well ever. Room was gorgeous and large, bathroom spacious, the ocean gorgeous, the food was the best I ever had in a hotel/resort. Perfect destination for honeymooners as the island is quite and feels really private. We haven't seen children around but it is a child friendly place. Prices was the priciest Ive ever seen but it was worth it as we were made welcome and as comfortable as possible. We got sushi as complimentary when we checked in. Check ins are done in room as there is no reception there, more comfort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Very Private, quiet, relaxing. Great food (to be expected in the Maldives) but very specifically catering to Honeymooners and a rather small beach.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Having spent 10 memorable nights at Huvafen, I have to share the experience;

Flying with Emirates was a good choice; no worries about strikes etc, good flight (via Dubai and great ICE IFE on board). Arriving at Male we were met immediately by the Per Aquum rep, baggage collected and directed to the Movenpick cafe for a welcoming glass of freshly squeezed orange, bliss!

After a short rest, we were then shown to our luxury speedboat (fast and clean), to be ferried to our ultimate destination of Huvafen Fushi. The sea was like glass, smooth ride and beautiful views to match, complimented by the beautiful sunshine.

At Huvafen we were met by the General Manager, Noel and the Resort Manager David, along with our Thakaru, Nahula. It was personalised for us, so we felt truly special from that first step onto the island. Nahula then showed us to our accommodation explaining all the facilities the room had to offer (lighting, Bose system, TV, Ipod etc) followed by a tour of the island at our preferred time later that day.

Room:- Spacious, light, plasma TV, Bose sound system, Ipod, large comfy bed that could have slept 3 easily, separate area for tea making, mini bar, then through to the outer courtyard. Well! Day bed, plunge pool, waterfall shower and his and hers washing basins and an additional shower and toilet, completely private so skinny dipping in the pool was such fun! From what I saw, I preferred the bungalows on the beach rather than the water bungalows but that’s just a personal preference.

Food:- The main restaurant, Celsius had a lovely breakfast selection, all presented beautifully. You could also take evening meals here with a good selection on the menu. The staff were very sweet and looked after us well; a real asset to the Management. We ate at Salt one evening, the food was delicious with a fantastic ambiance, very attentive staff and a clear difference to Celsius (but Celsius was still a lovely experience). At the Umbar you have ‘Sundowners’ cocktails at 6:30 every evening, just great to chill and watch the beautiful sunsets, great service also (Conrad gets a special mention).

Trips:- Celebrating birthdays on holiday is always fun, on my partners birthday we were invited to spend a relaxing hour cruising around the island on a traditional Dhoni (accompanied by Azleef who was a perfect host), the sea was like glass, the sunset magnificent; we saw dolphins, flying fish and had the moon on the other side of the sky so what more could you ask for? For my birthday we hired a speedboat for 2 hours, went snorkelling and then had a picnic on a sandbank somewhere yonder, just surreal but I have the pics to prove it! We also went on the House Reef snorkel trip with the resident Marine biologist named Uli, she is so knowledgeable and worth taking some time to talk to her to find out more about the island and the reef. Snorkelling was great, really good conditions on most days so the pics turned out well, especially those of Nemo! The water centre gives a good brief on the reef and the channels that should be used to gain access.

I have to say that you really do have to visit Huvafen to get the full effect. With 43 bungalows it never feels crowded, if you want to do something you just ask your Thakaru (think Girl/Man Friday rather than butler), OK so you will have to pay but it’s all individual to you. That’s the difference; instead of fitting in with the island, you can make the island fit in with you. Unfortunately I now have a headache to try to match this holiday next year :( , but I guess I could always go back.........

Special thanks to all of the Huvafen staff and Management Team, I’d like to say good luck but I don’t think you’ll be needing it. Happy to answer any questions for those of you lucky enough to be booked to travel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Huvafen Fushi translated into English means.....dream island. That is exactly what it is . Having recently arrived home from a 10 night stay my wife and I can only describe our stay as amazing.
Arrival at Male airport couldn't be simpler , Huvafen staff showed us to their 75ft luxury yatch and 45 minutes later we were being greeted at the resort by Noel Cameron and his staff .
Huvafen Fushi is a small resort with something like 40 rooms. We had an Ocean Bungalow which was superb. The was both luxuriously equipped and spotlessly clean ,and the vista was impossible to better.
Huvafen has a close eye on the environment and this is reflected by the quality and quantity of marine life around the island. The reefs surrounding the resort are inhabitated by countless different species of fish and coral which made snorkelling a really satisfying experience. The close proximity of Giant Manta Rays at this time of year was an added bonus that neither my wife or I had expected.
Back on land the restaurants catered for all tastes and the food was good with generous portions. The staff were excellent ,both friendly and effecient and made us very welcome.
No dress code just adds to the totally relaxing nature, which evident everywhere you look.
If you really wanted unwind then the underwater spa was unusual and tranquil .
In conclusion we feel that Huvafen was the ideal place to relax and unwind which was our aim ,if you enjoy a more formal break the Huvafen may not be for you, but if "chilling out " is your goal then it won't get any better than this.
Would I go back ? .................Definitely !

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We have just returned from nine nights at Huvafen staying in an overwater lagoon bungalow. We have stayed at various other resorts in the Maldives, (both Four Seasons and Four Seasons Explorer, Conrad Rangali and One and Only.) Therefor it is not possible to review Huvafen without making comparisons to these other resorts. Anyone who has visited the Maldives on multiple occasions understands that each island has its own character and therefor pros and cons.

Huvafen Pros:

Fantastic House Reef !!!. The best house reef of anywhere we have stayed, even better than Conrad Rangali and their house reef is pretty spectacular. The most baby reef sharks I have ever seen in one place, often hunting in shoals of up to 20!

Over water bungalows are very modern and well appointed. Views from the bath allow you to soak in bubbles whist watching all the marine life swimming past.

Salt restaurant, truly exceptional cooking.

Sri Yoga Master. The most beautiful yoga pavilion over the sea and the best yoga teacher i have ever had. Kind and patient with my stiff as a board husband, whilst also making sure I was challenged without risk of injury. Sri helped me discover perfect Zen.

Fantastic Marine Biologist, Ullra, who took us snorkeling with Manta Rays and was so passionate about her subject that we all came away wiser and richer for our new found knowledge.

The pool is very beautiful.

The double swing bed on the beach is the most perfect place to sit in the whole world.

The majority of the staff were very very good.

Cons:

The island is very beautiful but the management seem to feel that if you are in an over water bungalow you should use the deck off your room to sunbath or sit by the pool. If like us you enjoy the beach then the options of where to sit are very limited. There are about six alternative sites doted around the island on the beach, however one of these is by a main walkway to the water bungalows and therefor quite a busy area and one is close to the generator, which is noisy. on a couple of occasions we could find nowhere to sit on the beach and had to return to our room, which was not ideal. The staff were helpful in trying to accommodate us but on one of these occasions they had no spare loungers. I do think this is an area that needs addressing.

If you are sitting on the beach there is no bar service. I find this extraordinary. In all the other resorts we have stayed at the same service is extended to the beach as would be found by the pool (complimentary water& fresh fruit, drink orders taken, etc)

The gym is too small. On several occasions it was too busy for us to use it.

The Celsius restaurant is disappointing bearing in mind how good Salt was and they are both managed by the same executive chef, so there really is no excuse. The food in Rangalis most basic restaurant is exceptional in comparison.

This is a very minor point but in a hotel of this calibre it is details that matter. All the other resorts we have stayed at make a special effort with the turn down evening service. Rangali leave little stuffed marine animals in the room each night, Four Seasons a tray with a selection of sweet canapes and chocolates, One and Only, sea shells on the bed, a different one each evening. Its the little touches like this that make the experience just that bit more special.

The dive centre was the least busy of any island we have visited. This obviously has some real advantages but the disadvantages were that snorkeling equipment was rather tired. Also the policy for charging for dives was very misleading. A price is quoted for the dive and for tanks etc but you are then charged separately for the boat, which was not explained and was a bit of a shock when the bill came. It would be much clearer if the prices reflected the use of the boat rather than it being a hidden cost. Nobody minds paying if something is clear from the start.

With the exception of the beach policy these are minor gripes. Huvafen staff gave us a wonderful holiday and at the end of the day all hotels sink or swim by their staff, especially when the hotel is a small island. Unfortunately for all resorts in the Maldives the bar is for ever being raised higher as more and more resorts open. Huvafen is wonderful but to stay ahead of the pack they can not be complacent, you can only compete if you know what the competition is doing and you strive to do even better. Sometimes the management just gave the slightest feeling of being a little smug.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Huvafen Fushi, a Per AQUUM Retreat? Share your experiences!