“Not the best we've experienced in the Maldives” 3 of 5 stars

Baros Maldives
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 2015, 20-02   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
London, United Kingdom
“Not the best we've experienced in the Maldives”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

By all means, if this is your first visit ever to the Maldives, Baros will be an incredible experience. However, having been to Veligandu and Cocoa Island the past 2 years, we think Baros ranks below both those islands. First the pros: the seafood buffet was great and good value when compared to overall prices in Maldives. The Lighthouse tasting menu was very expensive, but also worth its price with dishes that are beautifully presented. The house reef has great sea life and we saw tons of nurse sharks, turtles, batfishes, and octopus that actually swim around. The cocktails were good, I especially enjoyed the unique smokey cocktails served at the Lighthouse bar. There were 2 waiters (can't recall their names) that were incredibly friendly and attentive. One even took initiative during breakfast to get us mangoes and rambutans when he found out we were fond of them.
Unfortunately, there were also points that let us down -- at first in our 3 trips to the Maldives. 1) We Stayed in a water villa, room 308, and the air con malfunctioned twice. There was no sea breeze one night and it was so stuffy that I actually felt uncomfortable for the first time in all of my trips to the Maldives. 2) The villas felt quite close to one another. I think the air flow design could have been massively imporved if they had a window on the entrance side as well. As there are only opening/windows on the side facing the ocean, when there is no breeze, the room quickly gets stuffy with no draft or circulation. This meant we had to keep the air con on, whereas the air flowed through brilliantly at all times at our suite at Cocoa Island. 3) The island is poorly laid out. There are only 2-3 seats laid out available for guests staying in the water villas who want to enjoy the sun on the beach. The rest of the island's beaches are essentially private stretches for guests staying in the beach villas. I'm shocked that I'm in the Maldives and I can't find a seat on the beach to enjoy! We asked the front desk and was told on the side towards our water villas, there are indeed only 2-3 seats. Otherwise, we can use the loungers laid out at the end of piers with no share, or walk to the far eastern end near the bars. Hardly an ideal layout. 4) We didn't really see anything with the night snorkeling trip, though that could be down to more luck and water conditions. 5) The house reef, while good in number of sea life, is the same stretch. It gets repetitive when day after day, there is only one stretch to snorkel. In fact, because there is only one stretch, we often saw other guests floating/swimming by. This is very poor compared to Cocoa Island, where there was great snorkeling on the house reef on all different sides of the island. With Veligandu and Cocoa Island, we never saw more than 1-2 other guests snorkeling by even at full capacity. This made Baros feel less exclusive and sometimes like a public beach. 6) The food quality at Lime left much to be desired. We ended up eating at Cayenne most of the nights. Since the menu didn't change, it got repetitive. Also, on multiple occasions, the waiter got our orders wrong. Simple things like flavour of ice cream... Or failing to mention their fried rice is heavy with coriander, which I don't eat. When I pointed this out, instead of offering to replace it, they simply said this is way the chef has prepared it. 7) Aside from the 2 waiters mentioned above and the fantastic team running the Spa, there were quite a few others that didn't seem to know what was going on. We got 3 different answers from 3 different staff when inquiring about price of the seafood buffet.
At the risk of this review sounding incredibly spoiled, I must also point out on my previous trips to Cocoa Island and Veligandu, everything was perfect. Anything that was not perfect was immediately remedied or sorted out. I didn't feel this to be the case at Baros. Baros did not live up to our expectations given our previous Maldivian holidays. As mentioned previously, we had amazing times at Cocoa Island and Veligandu, and I would recommend those over Baros.

Room Tip: Water Villa 308's air con broke twice. The repair man even acknowledged it and knew abotu previ...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear emai_trippin:

Thank you for taking the time to write about us . We have read your review carefully and taken your constructive feedback seriously and we aim to improve in the areas where necessary.

Once again thank you and we all look forward to have you back one day again soon to have a better experience with us.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Visiting Baros at the end of June and staying for six days was just perfect. The hotel wasn't fully booked due to the fact that it is not the peak season and one could expect the rainy season becoming a problem. Not so in our case. The weather was fantastic, just perfect. The staff made our stay even more enjoyable. Our Beach Villa was luxurious and spacious. Management, restaurant and room service staff are super friendly and incredible helpful. The food was outstanding and the recreation facilities are up to standards. I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Maxim11,

Warmest Greetings from Baros Maldives!

Reading your review here on TripAdvisor is a great feeling and we all at Baros Maldives are very happy that we made your stay simply amazing.

On Behalf of the entire Baros Maldives Team,

melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed from June 25~July 3. Despite being during the monsoon season, the weather was great. We had just one day that was overcast with rain during the night.
If you are considering a visit at this time of the year, I'd recommend it.

Everything was great, food, staff, room, beach!
Prices for me were like going to our local gastro pub for dinner each night and no more. Considering it is the Maldives, I thought it was very reasonable.

My husband and I got to meet both Shuhan (resort manager) and Shijah (front office manager), whom I had read so much about and both gentlemen were just lovely and very interested in ensuring that our stay was top notch.

Thanks Baros for such a wonderful time and a big thanks to Shuga, Ibraham, Abdullah, Nitin and Victoria. It will be hard to find a better resort for the sole reason that I found the staff genuinely happy and myself part of a family.

Lovely!!

Room Tip: I would suggest asking if you could get a room away from smokers if you find that annoying. At one...
Dear sharon m,

From a very sunny Baros we send you our warmest greetings!

It was a great pleasure to have had the chance to meet you during your stay and we all are equally happy to have made your stay such a memorable one.

A very special Shukuriyya from Shijah, Shuga, Ibrahim, Abdullah, Nitin and Victoria as well and from the rest of the team.

We all look forward for your next visit to us and hopefully very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

If, like me, you are trawling through trip advisor reviews trying to decide on an island to go to in the Maldives (the choice is bewildering) then you need look no further. Baros might not be to everyone's liking but if this is your first time in the Maldives (as it was ours) I think Baros is a wonderful choice. I won't repeat what everyone else has said - it really is that good - I will just mention a few points which may help you make a choice. Baros is run by Maldivians and a large number of the staff are local. This may not mean anything to some, but for us the fact that the people who work at, and run, the hotel are local gave it a special touch and allowing them to explain their traditions and the history of the Maldives proudly was wonderful. The restaurants are top notch and there is something for everyone, yes the Lighthouse restaurant was beautiful and felt very special, but we enjoyed Cayenne equally and thoroughly enjoyed each meal we had there. Breakfast was good, there was a wide range of food available (including champagne if you are so inclined - you are on holiday after all) and the walk to the restaurant every morning was a pleasure. The grounds are kept immaculately and the beaches are pristine, so much so that the photos don't do them justice. Some don't like the fact that Male can be seen in the distance but that really didn't bother us, in fact it was rather nice to see the twinkling lights in the evenings and to know that there were 'others' out there. We stayed in a water villa for the week we were there and we were so glad that we did. Room choice is entirely down to personal preference and I highly doubt that there is a bad room on the island so please don't worry if you've booked a beach villa, some like to be on the beach and to be able to step out on to the sand - and that is fair enough. The beach villas were quite shaded and some close together, but they looked beautiful all the same. Our water villa was very well equipped, with steps down to the ocean, meaning that we rarely left it all day. I believe that some people actually look for problems whilst they're on holiday (something which I've never understood) and yes there were a few niggles in the room - the bathroom door didn't close properly at times and there was a slight tear in the canopy of the day bed - but this is all relative as you're in the Maldives and the service and surroundings more than make up for these tiny imperfections. We're not experienced snorkellers or divers but found ourselves in the sea everyday. The house reef is wonderful and we saw all sorts of amazing sea life. I would recommend asking the staff for some tips on where to snorkel, we wanted to see turtles and upon mentioning this to a waiter on our last night we were told that they are in the sea around the restaurants and that this was the best place to see them. It was unfortunately too late for us by this time and we wished we had asked earlier in the week, but it's something to remember for next time! There is no pool on the island, which we're not sure if we missed or not so next time we will book a pool water villa to find out! We had a wonderful week and couldn't fault a thing, having never been to the Maldives before we have nothing to compare it to but I'm sceptical that we'd vet find anywhere as special as Baros.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear hbob0716,

Warmest Greetings from Baros Maldives!

We are so delighted to read your wonderful review and are so happy that you have described us as the perfect choice. It is our wish that we get to meet you again soon at Baros Maldives for another great time with us and especially to see the turtle around the house reef.

On behalf of all of us here at Baros Maldives,

Warmest regards,

Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I visited Maldives recently and we chose Baros as our resort. It was the nicest resort we have been in. The room was good, services were good, food was good... it was all good. Two thumbs up to everything in Baros! I'm not joking...

The amazing thing is that they even helped us in recovering a lost item. When we were back home, my wife realised that she has lost an expensive watch that was given by my family. I wrote to Baros and they immediately replied saying that they found the watch. They got my home address and courier it all the way back to me via FedEx. Baros, I would like to say thank you very much! Also, thank you Farshaan who has been communicating with me.

Keep it up! Will love to be back there again one day!

Dear edwin_thc,

Thank you for sharing such a lovely review about us on TripAdvisor.

It is our greatest pleasure to learn that we have gone beyond your expectations and made your stay with us such a wonderful one.

Please do let us know when you would like to return and we all look forward for that day.

Warmest Regards from everyone of us and Farshaan as well,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed a week at Baros in June 2013 as part of a 2 week honeymoon and absolutely loved it! We had a villa on the beach and found this to be very secluded and luxurious. The resort has recently won an award for most romantic resort in the world, and we can see why! It really did feel like there were very few people on the island and were on our own for much of the day. The house reef as others have said is excellent and significantly better than the one at Gili Lankanfushi where we went the following week. During our snorkles we saw turtles several times and sharks every time, as well as lion fish, an octopus, moray eels and countless fish!

The food was excellent, with a fantastic breakfast meaning we usually weren’t hungry until dinner. The Lighthouse restaurant deserved a special mention for the quality of food (remember to book!) but our favourite dish was the simple spicy beef at Lime! Service was also perfect, and we were made to feel very welcome from start to finish.

Despite it being the rainy season, it rained very little during our stay though we’d heard the week before hadn’t been great. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone, particularly for a honeymoon.

Fab & Sam

Dear Fab & Sam,

Shukuriyya for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor and also for staying with us.

It was a great pleasure for all of us to have had the chance to meet yourselves and being able to fulfill your expectations.

It is your next visit that we all are waiting and looking forward for and we hope it is not too far in the future.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed there for our honeymoon in the end of June 2013. Before staying our expectations were very high because of many positive comments here. I can easily say that we are very satisfied, we had a perfect honeymoon. We stayed in a Pool Water Villa and it was excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in Pool Water Villa. it was excellent.
Dear Osonmez,

Thank you for the lovely review! We all at Baros are very happy to read that we have made your stay perfect!

On behalf of all of us at Baros Maldives, "Shukuriyya" and we all look forward to see you soon.

Resort Manager

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!