“Paradise on earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Baros Island
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the most beautiful place I've ever been to. The views from Baros look just like the postcards you see of the Maldives. We came here for part of our honeymoon and stayed in both the beach and water villas, but preferred the beach villas in the end although both were beautiful. The beach villas have a unique outdoor bathroom and your own little beach area although people do walk across it.

The spa is excellent - the Baros massage (amazing!) and private yoga classes with Kumar helped make this a really special experience. We were also able to go snorkeling and scuba diving, and it was great that it was not overcrowded and also that there were no kids under 8.

The teppanyaki was the best meal there, and the seared tuna salad was also excellent. The breakfast buffet was good too, but the rest of the food was average - I had expected more in this area. Also as the previous reviewer mentioned, the resort seems to be a bit understaffed - at least at the restaurants and bar - and some are friendly but not all. Also, the Lighthouse (more exclusive) restaurant is not worth the extra cost - we had the tasting menu and two of my dishes were so salty I could barely eat them.

Overall it was a fabulous experience and we would definitely go back - I'd just pack some snacks next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear thegypsyjetsetter,

Shukkuryia for choosing Baros Maldives as your honeymoon destination, for your wonderful words and for describing our small island as the most beautiful place you’ve ever been to!

I have already passed on your inspiring comments to all of my team, especially Kumar was very happy to hear that you enjoyed his private yoga classes. Please also rest assured that we will do all we can to improve the matters you have brought to our attention in the hope that your next stay with us will exceed all your expectations.

Warm regards from Baros,

1,100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We (my wife & I, my sister & her husband, and my 1st cousin & his wife - 3 couples in all) made a first time trip to Maldives from March 23rd to 29th, and we had chosen Baros amongst other resorts, after reading a lot of trip advisor reviews, and pricing/availability considerations. I must say Baros wasn't our first choice, because of price, but was our forced choice after our first choice was unavailable for our dates.

We had no regrets when we arrived and throughout our stay. We will probably choose Baros again if we were to have another couples' outing.

Our experience was fantastic. Upon arrival, we met genuinely smiling staff, including the resort manager - Shuhan. They were quite warm. Let me also say that we all have been to other beautiful Island Resorts in Seychelles, and some of us had been to Seychelles more than 4 times. We therefore knew exactly what to lookout for, or at least something to compare.

On Baros, we spent the first 3 nights in water villas, facing the sunrise side, which happens to be the "Baros House Reef" side which we preferred. The water villa experience is next to nothing. Even my "non-swimming" wife loved it there. It was easy for the swimmers among us to slip into the ocean right from our private decks and we had great snorkelling experiences. The rooms were clean and fresh always.

Our last 3 nights were spent in beach villas, and it was yet a different experience, though we never used the beach. We preferred being in the water :). Again, the ambience of the room was great, and always clean and fresh.

The Island is not large, but not exactly "very small". The entire environment was always in a very clean and tidy state.

We dined in all 3 restaurants, and the food was always great. We however found the meals pricy, especially for the Lighthouse and the other one, which name I can't recall now. The only reasonably priced restaurant was the breakfast and all-day dining one.

I went scuba diving via the Padi Centre at their water sport centre. We dived at a location about 30 minutes away by boat ride, and also at the Baros House Reef. My opinion is that the House Reef is much superb, and it was a waste of time going elsewhere for a dive, therefore, my other dive was at the house reef. Same goes for snorkelling, because we snorkelled at the Black Reef which is a boat ride away from the resort, and our opinion is that the house reef is much better. It was at the house reef we saw all the marine wildlife we saw; reef shark, large and small turtles, Lunar Grouper, Moray Eel, etc. the coral here was so colourful and beautiful. The best I have seen so far, and I have dived at different locations in Seychelles, Wasini - Kenya, and Zanzibar.

My cousin's wedding vow renewal was very beautiful. I had mine in La Digue, Seychelles 2 years ago, and so did my Sister in Praslin, Seychelles, while we had a joint one to cap it on Denis Island Resort, Seychelles. We thought those were beautiful; and they were. But this one on Baros was more beautiful, colourful, warm, and exquisite. There was a procession party of drummers, flower girls, etc, all dressed in traditional Maldivian costumes.

Our stay at Baros was made more memorable by the staff, who always went out of their way to ensure we were satisfied. Here are a few examples. Doni, the lady in charge of the wedding event etc, was like a sister to us. She took the wedding personal, wore a genuine, tireless smile each time we met with her, even though we tore her pre-packaged wedding list and price apart in a bid to keep cost low. surprisingly, on the wedding vow renewal day, we discovered she had kept most of the items on the list, though we were not paying for them, as she said it would be a bland event going with what we chose.

We wanted a yatch cruise on our last day, and we chose their big Sunseeker for this. The package price was a bit high for us given that it was an impromptu decision, so we negotiated to have it altered to fit our budget, and this worked out partially, but with a difference of $500 or so. We therefore cancelled. After breakfast the next morning, we decided to meet the Resort Manager - Mr. Shuhan to register our displeasure that we were not making that cruise. He immediately made us happy by authorising the cruise, even lower in cost than we had bargained, and with all the works, which we had tried to cut off to keep cost low. The yatch cruise was worth every minute of it, and lasted for half the day.

Yasin, the Guest Services guy attached to our group, was always answering our calls, despite the hour of the day, and we did keep a few late nights. The most amazing was while on a yatch cruise and snorkelling out at sea at Black Reef, I noticed after a while that there was a fully dressed guy in Baros uniform, in mask and fins, who was snorkelling around us, and directing where we would have the best view. On retuning to the yatch, I realised it was Yasin. He had said he would go wherever we go, and that included jumping into the ocean fully dressed. Note that the Black Reef Snorkelling was not to be on the itinerary, as we had removed it while negotiating for a lower cost for the yatch cruise. But this was surprisingly added back on the list for no extra charge.

We dined in the Lighthouse restaurant, and wanted something that wasn't on the menu, and they went to fetch it from another restaurant. We wanted corn soup as our starter for lunch on the yatch cruise, and this wasn't on any Baros menu whatsoever, yet, they made it for us.

I say that Baros is sensitive and excellent in customer service, with very sincere, warm, and friendly staff, good cuisine, exquisite architecture, furnishing, and decor, and a good choice for a couples holiday.

Well done and thank you Baros, for a memorable holiday.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Goz U,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us.
I will pass on the fantastic feedback to all of my colleagues. I am sure your comments will inspire us to continue our effort for making every Baros Maldives holiday a memorable one.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I travelled to maldvies for the very first time. I did exstensive research online and consulted lot of travel agents regarding the best resort in Maldives. Finally I decided to stay at Baros . I travelled from bangalore to cochin,India and cochin to male. The moment I landed at Baros, I was awestruck. I was amazed by its breath taking beauty.

Stay at villa was very very pleasant. Food at restaurant is very very expensive, esp for Indians.
If you are veggie, better carry some eatables with you because you wil not appreciate the food. Staff members are very helpful.

In my view, Room tariff is slightly overpriced but worth it if money is not a concern.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear RajeshUS,

Shukkuryia for reviewing us on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We greatly look forward welcoming you back soon again to our beautiful small island.

Best regards from Baros Maldives,

Sanaa, Yemen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

When you arrive at Baros, all of the staff will proudly tell you that it is the 3rd oldest resort in the Maldives, founded in 1973. At once, you are hopeful that such a long legacy and the many positive Trip Advisor Reviews that you read before booking portend a positive and successful vacation on this small island just 20 minutes from Male. Unfortunately, overcrowding, understaffing, poor management and a culture of fear among the staff are significant detractors. If you have ever been in Dubai, you will immediately recognize all of the telltale symptoms of an overworked staff that is genuinely nice, “I hope you are happy, I hope everything is okay or it might come out of my pay, or I might lose my job, and I really need this job. I hope you are happy.” Baros was once a grand vacation spot, but it is evident that management is more worried with meeting their timelines and profit directives than attending to the customer. Even so, there are some very bright spots that deserve strong commendation. More on these below, but we do not recommend Baros. For the amount of money you are going to spend coming to the Maldives, there are other options that will not disappoint.

The Good: By far, the most spectacular part of the Baros experience is the house reef where you can snorkel and dive. The reef if protected from fishermen and it shows. There is plenty of live coral within easy swimming distance and the fish are plentiful. There are also sea turtles, lobsters and reef sharks (not to worry, they are more scared of you than you will be of them). The snorkeling was the absolute best part of our stay at Baros.

Equally good was the quality of sleep. We stayed in a water villa and the bed was divine. Equally important was the quiet on the island. There were very few boats arriving and departing, and even fewer passing by. This was a real treat as other resorts in the Maldives sit astride major traffic channels that can disturb your peace and tranquility.

Another excellent aspect of Baros was the food. While the number of dining options was limited, the food we had was excellent. The Executive Chef has done a great job providing a wide range of options for a very diverse clientele. The Beach BBQ option is an excellent choice and highly recommended, but you will need to ask for everything on the menu as the service, like most other places on the island, was mediocre at best. We attribute this to poor training and bad management…a theme we found prevalent around the island.

Finally, we note that the Baros grounds were immaculate. The amount of care given to gardening, raking, pruning, etc was immediately evident upon arrival. Imagine all of the beauty of a wild jungle with all of the discipline of an English garden. These are the grounds of Baros. They are stunning.

The Bad: I preface the following remarks about the staff at Baros with the following statement. All of the staff seemed genuinely sweet, friendly and caring. They genuinely wanted to be helpful and the cheer in their spirit was most welcome and warm. You will immediately like the Maldivian staff. The main problem is that they are not professionally trained and seemed more driven by their maintenance/service schedules than our need for comfort. For example, we had the nicest villa attendant, but he was constantly hovering and it was clear that he had a schedule to keep. His bulky eyesore of a cart was often outside our door and he was always asking “when are you leaving your room? I have to clean it.” Clearly, his motivations and intentions were good, but you could tell he was under pressure to be somewhere else, doing something else, when we were taking our time to get up in the morning or preparing for dinner in the evening. Again, this is not his shortcoming, but a shortcoming of management to properly train the staff.

While the food at Baros is excellent, and the wait staff is very nice, the level of service is mediocre at best. While all of the staff was very friendly, the quality of food and the quality of service was quite incongruent. The staff was often timid and seemed at a loss for what they should be doing. To us, this mainly reflected a lack of training and nothing else. We attribute this lack of proper service to poor management that has hired untrained staff to serve on this island. As we have seen elsewhere in the Maldives, the Maldivians offer superb service when provided with the proper training and resources.

A similar type of schedule-focused service happened at the spa. While the spa personnel and treatments were good, the staff immediately recommended the least preferable time slots immediately after lunch instead of offering more ideal time slots that were still open (ie late afternoon). This indicates a management directive to fill the least desirable slots first as to maximize throughput. The spa’s facilities also showed a lack of renovation in the sauna (be careful not to burn yourself from the steam pipes) as well as an attempt to double the capacity of the relaxation room by having you face a frosted pane of glass instead of the beautiful garden outside the window. This arrangement is likely due to the overcrowding on the island were 250 staff attend to over 75 villas. This is not a 5-Star Resort ratio. Take a look for yourself on Google Earth - everything is really packed in tight.

We should not have been surprised by this “schedule driven” service during our stay as we were introduced to this upon arrival. We booked the Romantic Package that included the aroma bath and champagne in our villa. After stepping off the boat we were led to our villa where the bath was already drawn and the champagne was on ice. No one had asked us if we wanted the bath or champagne as soon as we came off the boat (it was a hot day – the last thing we wanted to do was get in a hot bath right then). Again, this was schedule driven service (to include the multiple phone calls and requests that we send them emails – yes, emails - to answer all of the staff’s questions immediately upon arrival despite the fact that we were supposed to be in our bath at the time). The staff clearly had their checklist and timeline that management was driving them to complete ASAP.

An equally “bad” part of Baros is the water villa infrastructure. These villas are packed on top of one another. The architect must have had a cruel sense of humor as six of these villas look directly into their neighbors’ sun decks (Villas 301-306). You cannot see the sunset from them either. This was truly disappointing. They last thing you want to do is travel this far and not have privacy on your sun deck…especially when you are paying water villa rates.

The Ugly: Normally you don’t expect the staff of a luxury resort to be argumentative, but the Baros Dive Shop had no problem in this area. After seeing how beautiful the house reef was, we wanted to take some underwater pictures so I headed off to the dive shop to rent a camera. I was told that this was possible, but the camera could only be rented from 9am to 12:30pm and from 1:30pm to 5pm, or I could rent it for the day. If I wanted it for the day, I had to pick the camera up at 9am and it absolutely had to be returned no later than 5pm. I looked at the staff member and said, “Really? I have to get up at 9am to get a camera? Can’t I just come get it when I am done with breakfast?” I was then told that these were the rules and this is the way things are and there was nothing she could do about it. I remarked that it was odd to be told when I had to wake up while I was on vacation to pay money to a resort to rent a piece of equipment. Again, she pushed back on me saying these were the rules and this was the schedule. I took the camera (my desire to photograph the reef was stronger than my desire to continue this combative discussion). I told reception about the issue and I expected that all would be taken care of and perhaps the lady was having a bad day. When I went back to the dive shop to turn in the camera, the dive shop manager came out and quite gruffly said, “so, I hear you have complained about the dive shop.” I explained what had happened and expected some semblance of understanding. Instead, he said, “these are the rules and these are the timings. Management has given us these rules and you should talk to them.” Needless to say, I was very surprised by this tone and response. When I said that his timeline was “annoying”, he then offered to find another solution. I had to really push back and express displeasure before he was willing to accommodate my request which went against management rules. Then again, I should not have been surprised as I had heard a similar remark the night before from the fishing guide.

Baros has a wonderful excursion concept called “Catch Your Own Dinner.” The hand line fishing trip is conducted within 10 minutes of Baros and is quite fun. All of the promotional material, to include the material on the boat, tells you that the Cayenne Restaurant will prepare the fish you catch for $38 per person for dinner or $26 per person for lunch the next day. While we did not catch any Moby Dick sized fish, we were quite happy with the number of small fish we caught. Most were about the size of your hand, so two small fish per person would be adequate for dinner. We gave the rest of the fish to the staff for them to eat in their kitchen. I took my four fish to the restaurant and spoke with the Executive Chef about their preparation and he assured me we would be happy with his preparations. I then went back to our villa to clean up before dinner and got a call from our fishing guide. He was sorry to report that the price of the dinner had been changed and that it would now be $38 per fish for dinner. As my wife and I were on our way out the door, I simply agreed to the change in the pricing. We wanted to enjoy the fish, but the “bait and switch” advertising was a real bone in the throat. When I asked, “why the change”, I was simply told that this was the order from “management” and that he was sorry.

While I thought that this type of false advertising may have been a simple hiccup, I learned the next night that this was indeed a norm. We had booked the Beach BBQ as a part of our package. We were delivered a menu for the dinner in our room upon our arrival which indicated that the dinner would start with a glass of Piper Heidsieck Champagne. When it did not come, I was curious, but did not interrupt the meal. After dinner was over, I asked our waiter about the champagne and he said it was not a part of the dinner. Rather, this was reserved for a different type of dinner. When we returned to our villa, I looked at the menu…the champagne was clearly marked on the Beach BBQ offering (See attached pic). This was just one more indication of bad management, poor service and a resort in decline.

Overall, I can say that Baros is truly beautiful, but it has clearly been overpopulated with villas while the staff does not have the requisite size or training to accommodate this increase in population. I think the expansion to 30 water villas put them over the edge. We learned that a lot of staff we met at other resorts left Baros several years ago when the number of villas as greatly expanded. These staff members were exceptional. It appears that Baros has replaced them with other well-meaning, but seriously under-trained replacements. Some of these issues can be addressed through training, but some can only be addressed by acknowledging a hard truth: Baros is no longer a 5-Star Resort. It is now a 3.5 Star Resort at best. For the amount of money you are going to spend coming to the Maldives, you should go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Baros is no longer a 5-Star Resort. It is now a 3.5 Star Resort at best. For the amount of money y...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear alleydw,

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed review. Please rest assured that we are taking your feedback serious and are looking into the areas of possible improvement.

Our concept is very much thought through and has proven to be appreciated by our guests over the last years, therefore we cannot agree on all points mentioned.

Thank you again for the constructive feedback,

Warm regards from Baros Maldives,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Only just signed up to trip advisor hence the delay...

This place is simply idyllic.

Beautiful island, friendly and top quality service/ staff, luxurious rooms and amazing food/ drinks.

We felt like we were the only guests on the island at times with our own private beach and coral reef.

The spa was fantastic and there are many activities to do. We went on a day trip to Male but there are many more on offer.

One week is just about right before things become repetitive.

Although expensive, it was money well spent - we want to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Dr_np05,

Thank you very much for signing up to TripAdvisor and for writing this wonderful review!
From all of us on Baros Maldives ‘shukkuryia’, we greatly look forward welcoming you back soon again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Chic, classy, stunning - not easy to achieve on a tiny island in the middle of the Indian Ocean but Baros achieves it with astonishing ease. A huge team look after the guests, island and 75 villas - a rain shower brings leaves down to the sandy walkway floor and within minutes of the rain clearing there are teams out clearing them up!

We stayed in a de luxe beachfront villa, fronted by trees and landscaping before the beach and were greeted with a champagne welcome ( as well as a bottle in the room ). A modern design feel to the very well appointed villa, complete with complimentary flip flops and beach bag, blended with the stunning 'garden' bathroom and outdoor shower. Mini bar complete with stocked wine cooler and Nespresso coffee machine and full bottles of complimentary water enhance the villa further. There are some further features in the other villas including fully loaded with music i pods for the ultimate in appointments.

Fabulous landscaping and planting on the inland walks, a great dive centre, super staff, decent gym ( still cannot believe people want to use a gym given the surroundings - especially if you come from the UK! - relaxation room, pool table, book library, the best bar location ever - under a palm tree canopy ( watch for the bats early evening flocking to the palms ) with large comfortable chairs, bed type chairs facing the ocean and the most thoughtful waiting area for those guests who have checked out and wait on later flights complete with showers, I could go on but easier to say there are no negative spots on this resort.

They have a policy of no children under 8, however we did witness children under this age on the island so I do not know how strict they are with this. All the usual excursions are offered which include for the very well heeled cruises on their luxury boats which run up to $6000 for a private day/evening trip!

Dining - I have to be honest the food was so good in the main ' Lime ' restaurant and the adjacent Cayenne we did not feel the need to try the 'fine dining' Lighthouse although I am sure it was just as excellent. We did use the bar above the Lighthouse for great service and drinks and views of the sunset. I am sure the Spa was to the same standards as everything else although we did not try it.

The reef is not as good/easy to access as that at the very closeby Banyan Tree but the reef sharks are plentiful and close to the beach regularly.

Yes it is not the cheapest once the service charge and tax has been added to your drinks and food bills but that is a mute point for being somewhere so perfect.

If I had one comment to make of a lesser note it would be; with a very worthy policy of adding a 10% service charge to everything so that those behind the scenes can share as the brochure states then why add 'Optional gratuity' to each docket to sign - it leaves you in the dilema of knowing you have already paid a 10% tip but feeling bad for not adding further when you have received good service - it should be one or the other surely?

If you are lucky enough to have the chance to consider going - consider no longer, break the bank, sell your Grandmother, do what you need and experience one of the best places on earth - you will not regret it! Oh and if the gym really does it sell it for you, you are sad!!

Room Tip: One or two villas close to the dive centre did not appear to be very good positions especially as th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Nealjasp,

Thank you very much for this stunning review. I have shared it with all my colleagues and they are thrilled by your description of Baros Maldives as ‘one of the best places on earth’.

Just a small note on our child policy, please be rest assured that we are very strict with it to preserve the tranquil and romantic atmosphere of the island.

Once again, shukkuryia from all of us for this wonderful review. We can’t wait to have you back on our small tropical island soon again.

chigwell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just gets better, been back a day and already thinking of next year. All the staff and i mean all are so freindly and only to willing to help with any problems which there arent any really, The Water Villa plus infinity pool was the best we have stayed in and the veiws panaramic bliss.As many people have mentioned a beutiful place to relax all day then in the evening a lovely couple of Gin & Tonics with canapas watching the sun go down. HEAVEN

Room Tip: No tip for a room as you might take mine sorry
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Carmel and Graham,

Thank you for staying with us again and for your wonderful words.
All of us on Baros Maldives greatly look forward having you back in 2014!

Resort Manager

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!