“Busy - Need To Do Nothing” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Exclusive Summer Saver
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Baros Island
Swansea
“Busy - Need To Do Nothing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Baros Maldives is a small Luxury island located in North Male Atoll and as we arrived at Male Airport we were greeted by Baros staff and shown to their private boat, transfer was easy and the staff are full trained should wheelchair transfers be required.

This elegant resort is set in a palm tree lush garden and is surrounded by a vast turquoise lagoon and a magnificent coral reef . The beauty of Baros for me is simple it was the first place I have ever been when I was not forced to be bothered by anyone else's problems with my disability. There is no central hotel but three restaurants and two bars, a reception area and a spa therapy centre. Circling around the white sand island are 75 private bungalows, a very short distance to the sea, the most number of people you will have to be near while you are on you lounger by the sea is 4. The staff are outstanding, discrete helpful and capable.

Getting to the bungalows one can walk the sandy beach one or the firmer wheelchair friendly inland pathway; both will ultimately take you to your front door. With 8" arms and 7 fingers many things are difficult, one of the fundamentals is keys, so it was a relief to find credit card opening doors as I entered my island retreat. Another joy was being 20 paces away from lounger to room. Once settled my husband and I got on with the job of doing nothing, It was a very different holiday experience for us, no museum, no galleries, no ruins, only fish to swim with, giant fruit bats to marvel at and outstanding scenery to gaze upon. No guilt about missing anything, it was all there in the painting before our eyes. On this island one can be undisturbed all day, no one will bother you, the island is private there are no hawker, this alone is work paying for.

There is a fully stocked bar in the bungalow, room service should you find walking to 3 minutes to the restaurant too taxing. The islands gardens are outstanding and provide much needed shade through the walkways which are concrete covered with sand for easy access for wheelchair users.

The bars and restaurant are very expensive, we had half board and could upgrade to the more expensive restaurants at a price. Dinner was good but not exceptional, a safe international menu, The Cinnamon restaurant offers a Maldivian evening once a week where the local cuisine is served and local music played, the food served was beyond delicious, with local produce cooked and presented to perfection but unfortunately it was not available on any other night in anything other than a token gesture, this lack of local food was disappointing, flying halfway to the Maldives to experience French tango music and Japanese sushi as was not quite the evening dining experience I was looking for.

Breakfast on the other hand was five star indeed the restaurant overhanging the crystal clear lagoon waters was a daily pleasure not to be missed. The staff are highly trained in service, and although the breakfast are self service they are on hand to help, they do not fuss but merely appear and take over when needed, the breakfast are a glorious array of anything one can imagine, fresh exotic fruits sliced to choice, champagne and Bloody Mary's on tap every sort of egg while you watch it cooked, and joy of joys Curry should you so wish to get fully into the culture and to my husband's horror, I certainly did.

The great thing about Baros is the snorkelling, Baros is to Snorkelling as Whistler Canada s to skiing in the world of disability participation holidays. one could walk or use the wheelchair sand buggy provided by the hotel to the water's edge, swim 20 meters and be surrounded by a breathtaking world underwater not usually found so close to shore. If you are nervous or a first time snorkeler the exceptional staff offer lessons and support as well as buoyancy aids, flippers and masks. Friendly sharks pass by and shoals of powder blue fish encompassed you as you journey round the Islands corals reef and gaze into the deeper waters beyond. There is no need to climb in and out of a boat to access some of the best snorkelling in the world,

Baros is a dive centre and probably can cater for specialist needs there too but I was happy to snorkel . It offers boat trips and after talking to their "can do" instructor Sugar, I was persuaded I would manage. Again the exclusivity of the island meant there were only three on the trip, the boat was easy to get on to and I was dressed and kitted out before I had time to blink, a great break for my husband. I then had to jump off the boat, something I have no fear or problem with but I felt the boatman's gentle hand holding on to my lifejacket to steady me before I jumped. Sugar guided us over the reefs and regularly adjusted my mask something I find difficult. The landscape underwater was outstanding and with cliffs dropping steeply away from the magnificent coral reef, feeding turtles to watch and a plethora of colourful sea life to discover. When it came to climbing back into the boat I was helped from top to bottom, without fuss or fear or further discussion.

At the Baros resort there is a special sand friendly wheel chair there for to customer use and larger rooms. The paths around the island look sandy but are concrete, from the jetty to the reception you'll find decking and level access to shore. The rooms are all spacious and fitted out to five star luxury with the beach bungalow having the most amazing outdoor private bathrooms. All taps and controls are to easy use with whatever part of your body you utilise. I would not recommend the water bungalows for those with upper limb disabilities or weakness as there is only ladder access to the sea at this point.
The staff will help you in any way they can. You pay for privacy and peace at Baros and sometimes in life that is a price worth paying.

Disability needs are never the same for anyone, make sure your requirements are made clear before confirmation of any booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Mr and Mrs Kent

There is nothing more rewarding than receiving such sincere feedback like yours.

Shukuryiaa from all of us; Sugar and the entire Team would be very pleased to be at your service again here on Baros.

1,076 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thank you to all staff at Baros for such a wonderful holiday. From the moment we entered the airport terminal to the moment we left the terminal, friendly Baros staff where their to help. The transfer from the airport by luxary speedboat was a great way to start the holiday and also meant we had a full last day in Paradise.
We spent most of time Diving so a special mention to Reg, Ahmed and Kiko who were fantastic guides to discovering the underwater world of the Maldives. Also we stayed as a family so Baros is not just Paradise for honeymooners!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Powertothepedal

We would like to thank you back for this wonderful review and I am glad that you had a memorable holiday with your beloved Family.

As there are plenty more to be explored on this Paradise underwater world; Reg, Ahmed and Kiko would be very keen to dive with you again and we await your visit back on Baros!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I went to Baros in March 2010. We stayed in one of the water bungalows and it was genuinely incredible. The service from the staff, the food and the beautiful beach and water were fantastic.

One of the best holidays we have ever had and memories that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GRS2109

I am thrilled that Baros has given you memories of a lifetime.

Thank you very much for the feedback and we do hope that those memories will bring you back on Baros in not too far distance.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I spent our 10 night honeymoon on this idyllic island and absolutely loved every second of it. Baros itself is beautiful, set on a lush tropical island surrounded by a clear blue sea and soft white sands.

We could not fault the place at all.

We stayed in a deluxe villa but having compared it to others on the island we were more than happy with it, especially as our bit of beach had the sun all day. Admittedly the pool water villas will be a must next time! We stayed in villa 109 and was well looked after by the attendant.

The food was fantastic in all three restaurants. There was plenty of choice in Lime and something different for everyone. We tried cayenne once which was nice but preferred Lime in terms of menu range. We dined at the Lighthouse restaurant once and had a fantastic evening, the food and service was excellent, yes its more expensive but worth it especially with the view. We would recommend the lighthouse bar for early evening drinks whilst watching the sun set and eating delightful canapés.

We even had a sandbank dinner which was our favourite experience of the holiday. We would highly recommend it as a ‘one-off’. To be waited on and looked after all evening and served fantastic food was great and dining under the stars and moonlight in the middle of the Indian Ocean was something else. Our waiter, Hussein and chef, Indy were both terrific and took care of us.

Which leads me to all the staff, they were all amazing with no exception. They are all genuinely warm and friendly and want nothing but to share their special island with you. Special shout outs go to Shuhan and Andrea who were both brilliant and extremely helpful. In the lighthouse bar Yenny and Nitin were fantastic; in the Lime Swati and Faisem were also fantastic and looked after us well.

I can only support everyone’s comments on the reef, it was stunning. Not having snorkelled on a reef before it was amazing to see the variety of marine life including sharks, turtles and numerous fish. Be sure to go snorkelling from the bit of beach near the cayenne restaurant and swim out past the lighthouse as around here was arguably the best coral. For the novices amongst you, the discovery scuba dive is worth doing, thanks to Ahmed for taking us out on the reef and showing me the ropes. A tip though – be sure to specify up for whether or not you want them to take the dive centre’s camera as a bit of confusion almost led to a $35 charge to the bill.

Overall, had a fantastic time and would definitely return one day. Yes it’s expensive but it is what it is, sometimes you pay more for the quality and given its location then it’s actually fairly reasonable.

We are suffering from a major Baros blues hangover!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Mr and Mrs Boyd

We appreciate very much for all the compliments given and please rest assured that this has been shared among my colleagues; especially those mentioned who are delighted that you enjoyed being on Baros.

We do hope that we will able to share this Island Paradise with you again in the near future in order to wave off your Baros blues hangover!

Warm wishes,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at Baros Maldives for 10 nights at the end of June 2012.
We had looked over so many different islands, researched across numerous websites, through brochures and TripAdvisor reviews before we decided to stay at Baros Maldives.
The main reasons we choose Baros Maldives: the size of the island, the style of the rooms, the choice and cost of the dining & the experiences it offered. It lived up to all expectations.

Island:
We chose Baros Maldives because it is a small island, you can walk around it in about 10mins, but not once did we ever feel trapped. You have your own personal space, and there’s plenty of choice for sunbathing spots.

Room:
We chose the Beachfront Bungalow – you have your own bit of beach outside, with a garden area, a huge outside bathroom with shower, freestanding bathtub and lovely shrubbery. The bedroom has a big kingsize bed (I found to be a little hard), outside veranda with sofas, table and chairs etc. It’s all very well done – simple and calming. There are then your own sun loungers on your bit of beach outside your room.
It’s not permitted to bring any alcohol into the Maldives (they scan your bags at the airport in case you try to sneak some in) but you could get a bottle of 375ml Vodka for $30 in room, which is great to last the trip for pre-dinner drinks etc.

Restaurants:
There are a choice of three restaurants, Lime, Cayenne & The Lighthouse.
The service in all of these restaurants is fantastic.
Breakfast is served in Lime restaurant – a buffet with a very wide choice, from sushi & sashimi, to pancakes & omelets, the full English, breads, pastries, cereals, juices, yogurts… everything you could want – and they have Champagne on ice in the buffet – which in my view makes breakfast!
I personally wouldn’t bother with Lime after breakfast…

We had dinner most nights at Cayenne restaurant, a beautiful setting over the water. We saw the famous house reef shark on many occasions. We also never got tired of this menu, there is a lot of choice. I would highly recommend the table BBQ – Your own mini table top BBQ with a choice of skewers to be cooked. This was delicious!
Afseen was our waiter here and he was great, remembering the dips we liked, and always making recommendations to us.

We had dinner at Lighthouse too, and this is for a more special dinner, more dressed up and fine dining. The food was amazing, the wine list is great, and the atmosphere is very intimate.

We also celebrated a birthday and an anniversary whilst there, and were treated to breakfast set upon our ‘private beach’ area, with a bottle of sparkling wine on both occasions. This was a really great start to each of those special days. Farshaan at reception was particularly helpful in arranging these special treats, and helping organize activities. He always greeted us checking we were OK.

Experiences:
Sandbank experience : We went on the Sandbank experience, which was incredible. It turned out to be $600 for the entire experience: A private boat out to the sandbank, and then the sandbank is yours for the evening. A bottle of Champagne with nibbles whilst the sun sets, and then on to a 3 courses BBQ meal; Sashimi, Lobster, Steak, Prawns, Deserts, your soft drinks, water, and nibbles. A chef and waiter look after you all night – but never feel too overwhelming or annoying.
It really is an incredible experience to have 360 degree views of sea at sunset, and then dining under the stars. If you can, you really should do this.

Snorkling : As all reviews say, the snorkeling is amazing, it really is an amazing reef. We’re not into diving – but absolutely loved the snorkeling.

As you can see we really enjoyed our time at Baros Maldives– there were a couple of little bad points:
We had booked the traditional wooden boat for an evening cruise, but the hotel cancelled it 45 mins before we were to leave. (due to there not being enough bookings) I don’t understand why they left it so late to tell us, and it left us at sorts as to what to do that night. However, they did lay on some drinks in the Lighthouse bar to compensate and give us something special to do that night.
The TV had really bad sound and we had to get special speakers to be able to hear it.
The toiletries in the bathroom were a bit lacking – there was nothing for the bath – no bath oil or bath salts – I had to request some, and they gave me a L’Occitane bath bomb, they did point out that this was just for water villas though. I found it odd that a beach bungalow was offered nothing – in a 5 star resort you’d expect to have something, especially when the bath is the focal point of the bathroom.
WiFi - there is free public WiFi in the resort, but it doesn’t extend to the room. This is my pet hate in a hotel- WiFi should be standard by now especially in your room!

Room Tip: I would recommend the west side beachfront bungalows (ie between the dive centre and the water bunga...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear CharlesForde

Thank you for choosing Baros as your favored holiday destination and we are thrilled to learn that this Small Paradise has given you all what it takes to make your stay a memorable one.

It would be our great pleasure to be able to serve you again on another dinner at our stunning Sandbank and to seeing you snorkel every day with our resident fishes and turtles here on Baros!

Middelkerke, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Baros was our third visit to the maldives, after staying in Filitheyo and Moofushi the years before. As a 5 star resort which tops several lists in tripadvisor my expectations where high.
Reaching the resort was a pleasant experience. We were welcomed at the airport by a representative of the resort and had a fast speedboat for ourselves. We had expected a sort of James bond trip (considering some reviews i read before), but that wasn't exactly the case: no champagne or yacht but we did have quite a fast trip indeed (with a glass of juice).
At the resort we were welcomed by a complete team who guided us over the island and helped us with a smooth check-in.
the villa:
We booked the beach villa, which was nice and ok, but nothing we hadn't already seen in 4-star resorts like Moofushi for instance. The room and beach were kept immaculate during our complete stay. we stayed at the lagune side, which is nice as it has the sunsets, and.. no wall. No snorkelling however, and the view was a bit cluttered with the watervilla's, the diving center and a number of boats. A dream if you have never been to the maldives. Seen better in Moofushi and Filitheyo however.
The (outdoor) bathroom was very large and never a bug in sight. Fruitbats however... :-)
Beds of very high quality but extremely hard.
the water:
The house reef was simply amazing. We have been in several good spots already (curaçao, Egypt, maldives,...) but it beats them all easily. Especially the reef at the watervilla's: the water is clearer, and more chance to see turtles and/or white tips, and stingrays.
We were also very happy to succeed getting our Open Water certificate (tx Regis, Kikko and Ahmed !)
The food:
Well,.. here we have the only issue we experienced in this resort.
how's the food ? Breakfast is a buffet. Choice was ok, and quality was also very nice. In the evening dinner is served at your table.
If you booked HB you are supposed to have a 4-course dinner at the Lime restaurant. Quality is okayish, and IMO better than most buffets. but... it costs more than 100$ to book HB, and that is (much) more than a 4-course meal costs ! If you want to eat in the lighthouse restaurant, which in my opinion should be the standard in a 5 star resort you only get a reduction of 45$, so... where did my 60$ go then ? There is only one word for it: a ripoff. So if you wanted to remember one thing of this review: do NOT book the HB with your trip, it is cheaper at the resort. A 4-course meal costs around 75-85 $ (without drinks). The 4 most expensive courses would amount at around 115$..
yes: incredible and i had never experienced such a thing before.
Service:
as you should expect on a 5 star resort in the maldives: impeccable. I always had the impression that every wish could be made true.
Would i recommend Baros ? sure, roomprices are not that expensive considering the rates at other 5* resorts, but just stay clear of the HB ;-)

Room Tip: If you want the real maldives picture: you need to book a Watervilla. Those with the pools are the b...
Dear Westende

Thank you for your sincere feedback with regards to your stay.

I can’t agree more that the house reef is indeed astonishing on this Paradise and I am happy to learn that you got your Open Water Certificate – well done!

I am sure that Ahmed, Regis and Sakiko would be very happy to dive with you again!

Warm regards from all of us,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We visited Baros on the second leg of our holiday, and it was everything we expected and more!
After our tourist-filled first leg, all we wanted to do was relax and take in the scenery.
We stayed in a Beach Front Villa (amazing), and we loved having direct access to our own "private" beach. We spent every morning and evening on our lounge chairs, and it was perfect.
We ate at each of the restaurants and did several activities, all of which we would recommend to others.
**Food: There are 3 restaurants on the island. All offer GREAT vegetarian options!
Breakfast was served buffet style every morning, and there are several options. This is the only time you'll see all of the island guests btw!
The Lighthouse was a great place to have what feels like a private fine-dining experience.
Both Cayenne and Lime were nice to spend an evening at, but we avoided the buffets that were offered a few times a week.
Room Service, this is the BEST thing we found about the entire trip. Although there is a separate menu for In-Villa Dining, they do allow you to request certain dishes from all of the other restaurants. We enjoyed this because we were able to have dinner on our back porch and listen to the waves. We did this twice, and it was definitely the most private and romantic option available (at no extra charge)!
**Spa: Although a bit overpriced, the spa services were great. The Balinese massage is great for those with stress and tense shoulders.
**Activities: We chose to do activities based on the days they were offered. TIP: Book activities as soon as you arrive as to ensure availability.
Scuba: I love diving, but my boyfriend isn't certified. They had a great package course that allowed us to dive twice together. He got more one-on-one attention, and we were able to enjoy the experience together! Beautiful reefs and the dive instructors were very friendly!
Snorkeling: Snorkeling is completely free, and it is very worthwhile. We were able to walk straight out of our room and explore the reef right along the beach. We saw nearly as much here as we did diving!
Maldivian Hand Trolling: This was a very fun activity. It was great to be on the boat during sunrise, and most of us caught fish. After, they offer to cook the fish for you for lunch, which we turned down because we aren't fond of tuna. However, the other guests on the boat took our fish!
Sunset Dolphin Cruise: We didn't get our hopes up about seeing dolphins on this trip, but we thought it would be nice to go out during the sunset. Wow were we wrong! We saw tons of dolphins. This trip ended up being really excited and fast-paced. Perfect way to end our trip!!
**Staff: The staff was always very friendly, and it seemed like everyone knew our names. We had no problems, and anything we asked for was quickly done.

We felt like we were completely alone on the island, which is exactly what we wanted. I would recommend this to honeymooners, couples, or anyone wanting to get away from reality.

Room Tip: Beach Front room gives you your own allotment of beach space. It also gives you the opportunity to w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Heather

We are happy to learn that Baros has been your favorite holiday Paradise all along and that you had a great time experiencing our Excursions as well as our services!

We can’t wait to have you back again with all those excitements! Shukuryiaa!

Warm Regards

Sven Walter

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!