Baros was our third visit to the maldives, after staying in Filitheyo and Moofushi the years before. As a 5 star resort which tops several lists in tripadvisor my expectations where high.
Reaching the resort was a pleasant experience. We were welcomed at the airport by a representative of the resort and had a fast speedboat for ourselves. We had expected a sort of James bond trip (considering some reviews i read before), but that wasn't exactly the case: no champagne or yacht but we did have quite a fast trip indeed (with a glass of juice).
At the resort we were welcomed by a complete team who guided us over the island and helped us with a smooth check-in.
We booked the beach villa, which was nice and ok, but nothing we hadn't already seen in 4-star resorts like Moofushi for instance. The room and beach were kept immaculate during our complete stay. we stayed at the lagune side, which is nice as it has the sunsets, and.. no wall. No snorkelling however, and the view was a bit cluttered with the watervilla's, the diving center and a number of boats. A dream if you have never been to the maldives. Seen better in Moofushi and Filitheyo however.
The (outdoor) bathroom was very large and never a bug in sight. Fruitbats however... :-)
Beds of very high quality but extremely hard.
The house reef was simply amazing. We have been in several good spots already (curaçao, Egypt, maldives,...) but it beats them all easily. Especially the reef at the watervilla's: the water is clearer, and more chance to see turtles and/or white tips, and stingrays.
We were also very happy to succeed getting our Open Water certificate (tx Regis, Kikko and Ahmed !)
Well,.. here we have the only issue we experienced in this resort.
how's the food ? Breakfast is a buffet. Choice was ok, and quality was also very nice. In the evening dinner is served at your table.
If you booked HB you are supposed to have a 4-course dinner at the Lime restaurant. Quality is okayish, and IMO better than most buffets. but... it costs more than 100$ to book HB, and that is (much) more than a 4-course meal costs ! If you want to eat in the lighthouse restaurant, which in my opinion should be the standard in a 5 star resort you only get a reduction of 45$, so... where did my 60$ go then ? There is only one word for it: a ripoff. So if you wanted to remember one thing of this review: do NOT book the HB with your trip, it is cheaper at the resort. A 4-course meal costs around 75-85 $ (without drinks). The 4 most expensive courses would amount at around 115$..
yes: incredible and i had never experienced such a thing before.
as you should expect on a 5 star resort in the maldives: impeccable. I always had the impression that every wish could be made true.
Would i recommend Baros ? sure, roomprices are not that expensive considering the rates at other 5* resorts, but just stay clear of the HB ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A lush, tropical island set in the shimmering waters of a shallow lagoon, ringed by a reef vibrant with marine life. Stay in elegance in Villas created from timber and sandstone, poised and peaceful over a translucent lagoon, or nestled discreetly among exotic blooms by the beach. Revel in romantic privacy on the perfect vacation. The essence of the Maldives, defined at Baros. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, MrandMrsSmith and Priceline so you can book your Baros Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baros Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Baros Maldives Male
- Baros Maldives Hotel Male