“Beach Front Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Exclusive Baros Saver
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
“Beach Front Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We visited Baros on the second leg of our holiday, and it was everything we expected and more!
After our tourist-filled first leg, all we wanted to do was relax and take in the scenery.
We stayed in a Beach Front Villa (amazing), and we loved having direct access to our own "private" beach. We spent every morning and evening on our lounge chairs, and it was perfect.
We ate at each of the restaurants and did several activities, all of which we would recommend to others.
**Food: There are 3 restaurants on the island. All offer GREAT vegetarian options!
Breakfast was served buffet style every morning, and there are several options. This is the only time you'll see all of the island guests btw!
The Lighthouse was a great place to have what feels like a private fine-dining experience.
Both Cayenne and Lime were nice to spend an evening at, but we avoided the buffets that were offered a few times a week.
Room Service, this is the BEST thing we found about the entire trip. Although there is a separate menu for In-Villa Dining, they do allow you to request certain dishes from all of the other restaurants. We enjoyed this because we were able to have dinner on our back porch and listen to the waves. We did this twice, and it was definitely the most private and romantic option available (at no extra charge)!
**Spa: Although a bit overpriced, the spa services were great. The Balinese massage is great for those with stress and tense shoulders.
**Activities: We chose to do activities based on the days they were offered. TIP: Book activities as soon as you arrive as to ensure availability.
Scuba: I love diving, but my boyfriend isn't certified. They had a great package course that allowed us to dive twice together. He got more one-on-one attention, and we were able to enjoy the experience together! Beautiful reefs and the dive instructors were very friendly!
Snorkeling: Snorkeling is completely free, and it is very worthwhile. We were able to walk straight out of our room and explore the reef right along the beach. We saw nearly as much here as we did diving!
Maldivian Hand Trolling: This was a very fun activity. It was great to be on the boat during sunrise, and most of us caught fish. After, they offer to cook the fish for you for lunch, which we turned down because we aren't fond of tuna. However, the other guests on the boat took our fish!
Sunset Dolphin Cruise: We didn't get our hopes up about seeing dolphins on this trip, but we thought it would be nice to go out during the sunset. Wow were we wrong! We saw tons of dolphins. This trip ended up being really excited and fast-paced. Perfect way to end our trip!!
**Staff: The staff was always very friendly, and it seemed like everyone knew our names. We had no problems, and anything we asked for was quickly done.

We felt like we were completely alone on the island, which is exactly what we wanted. I would recommend this to honeymooners, couples, or anyone wanting to get away from reality.

Room Tip: Beach Front room gives you your own allotment of beach space. It also gives you the opportunity to w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Heather

We are happy to learn that Baros has been your favorite holiday Paradise all along and that you had a great time experiencing our Excursions as well as our services!

We can’t wait to have you back again with all those excitements! Shukuryiaa!

Warm Regards

Sven Walter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went for our honeymoon a few months ago and although we did have a great time I feel that there are several things that the management of the hotel needs to improve.

Service: Service was great, everybody on the island is really polite and helpful. I did not have a single complaint for any of the employees, which is actually rare while staying 9 days there and being with them all day
Reception: Good reception, waiting for the guests to arrive and taking them for a tour of the island.
Island: The island itself is really nice, however it is rather small - you can do a full tour within 5-10'. For me it was OK, however some people might be looking for a bigger island.
Snorkelling: Snorkelling is fantastic, just outside your villa. This is one of the biggest positives of the island.
Nighlife: Simply put, none. It was perfect for our honeymoon, however if you are looking for night activities you won't find anything besides once per week that they had live music that was nice.
Rooms: We stayed in a water villa which was spacious, comfortable and had direct access to the sea. However the villas are (or at least look) really old. This is the only part of my stay that I thought that I was actually paying too much. Having wrecked decks/stairs, or doors/windows that do not open is quite unacceptable for such a resort. In general, the room was nice but it did not worth that money. Some of the villas are actually geting renovated, adding a pool too, so I would suggest to choose one of these.
Food: Breakfast was really good with many options. Regarding lunch/dinner, there are 3 restaurants. Service in all of them is nice, the food was good, however I would expect to have more options in the menus.
Spa: If you have been to other places in Asia you won't be that excited, however it was a good experience overall
Scuba: You should definitely try it since Maldives is probably one of the best places for Scuba.
Activities: I could not comment since I did not choose to do any, however none actually looked that exciting to make me book it and they seemed a bit expensive.

Room Tip: - If you choose a water villa I would suggest to choose one at the back, not the ones at the front w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Petand

Thank you for your feedback given. I am glad to know that you had a good overall experience with us and you may rest assured that I have taken your comments on board for possible improvements as we always strive for the best possible service.

Thank you again and hopefully we will have your visit in not too far distance to experience our newly upgraded Pool Water Villa.

Kerala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

If it is your idea to get away from it all and be pampered thoroughly then this is place to be. For me it was a bit of a mixed bag - not really because of the hotel but I think we should have stayed at a slightly more energetic place as we had our two boys along. Besides snorkeling there was not much else for them to do and not much company either as we were surrounded by older couples or honeymooners for whom this place is a perfect fit.
The day we left the weather was rough and on such days it may be difficult for tweens and teens. Many of the movies and books available are in German so be sure to carry something with you - the boys were happy that they could play on the iPad and had books on their Kindle.
My husband and I enjoyed both the place and the hospitality. The only thing that rankled was that my watch went missing - it wasn't an expensive one but I had more of a sentimental attachment to it.
We went on a dolphin spotting cruise from Baros. Though we saw a quite few dolphins, it fell short as there was nobody to help identify the dolphins or explain their habits and behavior.
All the same we returned home rested and rejuvenated and boys could tell their friends at school that they swam with sharks!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear KeralaTracy

Thank you for your sincere feedback regarding your stay.

I am delighted to learn that you were able to spend some quality time together with your loved ones here on this Paradise Island and I do hope that in the meanwhile you managed to find the watch.

It would be our pleasure to seeing you all again back on this Island so that the boys can tell more adventurous stories about Baros to their friends!

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here Oct 2012 for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon (we also stayed elsewhere in the Maldives), and thought the resort was exactly as the brochures say, well worth it and you get what you pay for. The thing we would point out is the exceptional service we received from the assistant manager. (long story- short version), my new wife had a meltdown over a few things she felt might spoil our perfect honeymoon and the assistant manager and others bent over backward to accommodate us and make us really enjoy our experience at Baros. Just for that we thank you and would recommend this island to anyone looking for a luxury resort in the Maldives at a good price.
As for other specifics - well the food selection was broad, good quality, good value (for an island) and there was plenty of it. The new over water villas with pool were spectacular (the wife prefers these, while I prefer the sand in the feet beachside bungalows), and the staff were very friendly, talkative and made you feel very welcome. The facilities - gym, dive shop, and bars were all great.
A small Island that even when full seemed empty, great location (no sea plane delays), and over the top service when required.
The spa - well I had the best massage I have every had - Balinesse style and hard - it was like i was transported to another dimension and wish i had more of them.
If I were to complain it would be about things that are more a personal preference and will be up to you to decide. eg; the islands is small and compact, there is no swimming pool if you dont like the ocean swimming (different to snorkelling)...The only thing I did notice was the airconditioners were noisy (more so than i was used to) so there is really little to complain about really :)

Room Tip: The over water villas are fantastic, go the sunset viewing ones, with a pool if price is not an opti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DRannFF

We are delighted to learn that your wife can enjoy her time here as much as you did and your honeymoon turned out to be perfect all the way through..

Many thanks for this great review and hopefully to see you both soon again on this Tropical Paradise!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just as you are doing now I read through the reviews of so many resorts in the Maldives as I researched where best to spend our honeymoon. As not on a limitless budget, bang for buck was important.

It will be no surprize that Baros is a fantastic location, ticks all the boxes for the reasons others have listed. As such we had an ideal honeymoon and I would recommend it.

But you fly along way and pay a lot of money (best price for us was from Destinology after a bit of haggling) to have that experience and having not stayed at other venues in the Maldives its hard for me to say its unique or even significantly better than other resorts having read glowing reviews for them as well. So I think you probably will have a good time at a fair number of the resorts listed here. After all its the natural environment, sea, beaches etc make mark the Maldives out as so special.

On reflection a week was just about right. The reasons why its so special, small, remote and quiet also ultimately make it a short stay location, from our perspective anyway. Especially as we had 2 days of rain and we were glad there wasn't more.

Unforgettable snorkling, we did it every day and never got bored. Got burnt.... but not bored of seeing sharks, turtles etc. And its free! Do take an underwater camera. Also went fishing on an evening boat trip and I'd recommended that, though not for the excitement of catching fish, which was rare, but seeing the sunset out at sea.

Finally, factor in Baros is only a 25min boat ride from the airport which at the end a 12 hour flight is a real bonus. That alone could swing it as a choice for some people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear wookie-taff

Thank you for choosing this Small Paradise and we are pleased to learn that Baros has met all your expectations during your honeymoon getaway with its uniqueness of the stunning reef life and great location.

Shukuryiaa for the compliments and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in not too far distance! Then hopefully without sunburn...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I went to Baros for our Honeymoon and we couldn't have asked for more. When doing our research on what Island we should go for the main point for us was to find somewhere that was intimate and idyllic we eventually came across Baros. It is a 30 minute speedboat ride away from the capital Male. It is a very small island with a maximum of 70-80 huts (when we went). You can walk around the whole Island in around 10mins. We stayed in a beach hut which is literally a few feet from the beach and water. I dont know if it has changed now but when I went each hut had there own section of private beach with beach chairs numbered with the hut room numbers so it was clear who they belonged too. Although we knew it wasn't a private beach as such, I did think it was clear that everyone had there on section to relax on and one morning when we were preparing to chill out on the beach we came across another couple who had usurped our chairs and our section of beach and I must re-iterate was directly in front of our hut. I must also add that it did not in anyway spoil my vacation just annoying for a few hours. A little petty I know but hey the chairs were numbered. The huts themselves were not too aesthetically pleasing but you go to the Maldives to take in the breathtaking scenery so that did not bother me. A lovely outdoor waterfall effect shower was great. The food was good. I can still taste the Maldivian fish curry now. A wonderful spa and massage area overlooking the water. You must definitely have a massage. A lovely bar area with live entertainment. A very warm and relaxed environment. We did not find any insects during our entire stay. They do spray the island with insectiside once a week which I did not find any bother at all. There are cheeky Herons on the Island who tend to their number too's on the hut varanda porch. I get the feeling they do not like to share the Island with the Human intruders and that is there way to show their displeasure.

I have to admit I went to Baros a few years ago now and I didn't check tripadvisor because of my trust in the excellent tour operator Kuoni. I see that it is number one on the list for Islands on the North Male Atoll which is great credit to the management. I can also see by looking at the pictures that they have added more huts and have generally improved the whole resort. So if your looking for true peace and serenity Baros is the Island to go for and when I do go back to Maldives it will definitely be Baros.

Kam, London

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Kam

Greetings from Baros and thank you for the great review given

We are delighted that you had such tranquil experience and that you enjoyed your honeymoon moments with us.

Yes I do agree that the herons are cheeky as they act like this Paradise belongs to them only!

It would be our pleasure to have you back again hopefully in the near future.

Warm regards to you both,

beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had our honeymoon at Baros on one of the water villas. It was fantastic. Stayed 5 days but wished it was longer. If we come back, we would stay in one of the beach villas. Cheaper and more convenient, basically get your own little patch of beach. Food and staff were excellent. Memorable lobster bisque. Nice snorkeling directly off the beach.

Room Tip: North side water villas location not so good. But still excellent for privacy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Trevalo

Thank you for sharing your fantastic honeymoon experience with us.

We will surely await your come back on this memorable Island to enjoy again your favored lobster bisque or to maybe relish another delightful dish in Lime, Cayenne and our signature fine dining restaurant – Lighthouse!

Sven Walter

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!