“Great Service, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Exclusive Baros Saver
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
London, United Kingdom
“Great Service, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here Oct 2012 for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon (we also stayed elsewhere in the Maldives), and thought the resort was exactly as the brochures say, well worth it and you get what you pay for. The thing we would point out is the exceptional service we received from the assistant manager. (long story- short version), my new wife had a meltdown over a few things she felt might spoil our perfect honeymoon and the assistant manager and others bent over backward to accommodate us and make us really enjoy our experience at Baros. Just for that we thank you and would recommend this island to anyone looking for a luxury resort in the Maldives at a good price.
As for other specifics - well the food selection was broad, good quality, good value (for an island) and there was plenty of it. The new over water villas with pool were spectacular (the wife prefers these, while I prefer the sand in the feet beachside bungalows), and the staff were very friendly, talkative and made you feel very welcome. The facilities - gym, dive shop, and bars were all great.
A small Island that even when full seemed empty, great location (no sea plane delays), and over the top service when required.
The spa - well I had the best massage I have every had - Balinesse style and hard - it was like i was transported to another dimension and wish i had more of them.
If I were to complain it would be about things that are more a personal preference and will be up to you to decide. eg; the islands is small and compact, there is no swimming pool if you dont like the ocean swimming (different to snorkelling)...The only thing I did notice was the airconditioners were noisy (more so than i was used to) so there is really little to complain about really :)

Room Tip: The over water villas are fantastic, go the sunset viewing ones, with a pool if price is not an opti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear DRannFF

We are delighted to learn that your wife can enjoy her time here as much as you did and your honeymoon turned out to be perfect all the way through..

Many thanks for this great review and hopefully to see you both soon again on this Tropical Paradise!

Sven Walter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just as you are doing now I read through the reviews of so many resorts in the Maldives as I researched where best to spend our honeymoon. As not on a limitless budget, bang for buck was important.

It will be no surprize that Baros is a fantastic location, ticks all the boxes for the reasons others have listed. As such we had an ideal honeymoon and I would recommend it.

But you fly along way and pay a lot of money (best price for us was from Destinology after a bit of haggling) to have that experience and having not stayed at other venues in the Maldives its hard for me to say its unique or even significantly better than other resorts having read glowing reviews for them as well. So I think you probably will have a good time at a fair number of the resorts listed here. After all its the natural environment, sea, beaches etc make mark the Maldives out as so special.

On reflection a week was just about right. The reasons why its so special, small, remote and quiet also ultimately make it a short stay location, from our perspective anyway. Especially as we had 2 days of rain and we were glad there wasn't more.

Unforgettable snorkling, we did it every day and never got bored. Got burnt.... but not bored of seeing sharks, turtles etc. And its free! Do take an underwater camera. Also went fishing on an evening boat trip and I'd recommended that, though not for the excitement of catching fish, which was rare, but seeing the sunset out at sea.

Finally, factor in Baros is only a 25min boat ride from the airport which at the end a 12 hour flight is a real bonus. That alone could swing it as a choice for some people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear wookie-taff

Thank you for choosing this Small Paradise and we are pleased to learn that Baros has met all your expectations during your honeymoon getaway with its uniqueness of the stunning reef life and great location.

Shukuryiaa for the compliments and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in not too far distance! Then hopefully without sunburn...

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I went to Baros for our Honeymoon and we couldn't have asked for more. When doing our research on what Island we should go for the main point for us was to find somewhere that was intimate and idyllic we eventually came across Baros. It is a 30 minute speedboat ride away from the capital Male. It is a very small island with a maximum of 70-80 huts (when we went). You can walk around the whole Island in around 10mins. We stayed in a beach hut which is literally a few feet from the beach and water. I dont know if it has changed now but when I went each hut had there own section of private beach with beach chairs numbered with the hut room numbers so it was clear who they belonged too. Although we knew it wasn't a private beach as such, I did think it was clear that everyone had there on section to relax on and one morning when we were preparing to chill out on the beach we came across another couple who had usurped our chairs and our section of beach and I must re-iterate was directly in front of our hut. I must also add that it did not in anyway spoil my vacation just annoying for a few hours. A little petty I know but hey the chairs were numbered. The huts themselves were not too aesthetically pleasing but you go to the Maldives to take in the breathtaking scenery so that did not bother me. A lovely outdoor waterfall effect shower was great. The food was good. I can still taste the Maldivian fish curry now. A wonderful spa and massage area overlooking the water. You must definitely have a massage. A lovely bar area with live entertainment. A very warm and relaxed environment. We did not find any insects during our entire stay. They do spray the island with insectiside once a week which I did not find any bother at all. There are cheeky Herons on the Island who tend to their number too's on the hut varanda porch. I get the feeling they do not like to share the Island with the Human intruders and that is there way to show their displeasure.

I have to admit I went to Baros a few years ago now and I didn't check tripadvisor because of my trust in the excellent tour operator Kuoni. I see that it is number one on the list for Islands on the North Male Atoll which is great credit to the management. I can also see by looking at the pictures that they have added more huts and have generally improved the whole resort. So if your looking for true peace and serenity Baros is the Island to go for and when I do go back to Maldives it will definitely be Baros.

Kam, London

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Kam

Greetings from Baros and thank you for the great review given

We are delighted that you had such tranquil experience and that you enjoyed your honeymoon moments with us.

Yes I do agree that the herons are cheeky as they act like this Paradise belongs to them only!

It would be our pleasure to have you back again hopefully in the near future.

Warm regards to you both,

beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had our honeymoon at Baros on one of the water villas. It was fantastic. Stayed 5 days but wished it was longer. If we come back, we would stay in one of the beach villas. Cheaper and more convenient, basically get your own little patch of beach. Food and staff were excellent. Memorable lobster bisque. Nice snorkeling directly off the beach.

Room Tip: North side water villas location not so good. But still excellent for privacy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Trevalo

Thank you for sharing your fantastic honeymoon experience with us.

We will surely await your come back on this memorable Island to enjoy again your favored lobster bisque or to maybe relish another delightful dish in Lime, Cayenne and our signature fine dining restaurant – Lighthouse!

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I am at a loss for words. Here I am in Thailand on our third leg of our Honeymoon and yet all we continue thinking about is the first leg...Baros.

A huge thank you to Shijah the front office manager, Farshaan asst front office manager, Victoria at the front desk, Zeina for making our welcome so sweet and special and being a great fishing captain even though I didn't catch any fish, Aziz who is probably the best fine dining restaurant waiter in the history of mankind....seriously....we miss Aziz just as much as Baros itself!

I can go on and on about the staff and how wonderful they all were. Nitin at the lighthouse bar. Swati being so genuinely lovely and kind.

Everything was magical and perfect. We loved it. Sure we were paying about $1,200 USD a night for our Water Villa but after thinking about it, well you get what you pay for. We loved our Villa, we loved the food, the atmosphere, ambiance, the staff, the activities...the wine!

Our Honeymooners Package was beautiful. We spent the last night on the beach having a candlelight dinner....gosh how beautiful.

I learned a lot during my trip to Baros...most importantly that life is short and if you're thinking about booking this place...thinking about making that extra step...going that extra mile...well JUST DO IT.

We will be back.

Room Tip: Water Villa 318. Amazing!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear VenetziaOleh

We are so thrilled to learn that you had perfect moments and that you enjoyed so much our Honeymooners Package.

Thank you for taking that “extra mile” and choosing Baros as your favorable Paradise Island.

Warm wishes to you both from all of us; Aziz, Shijah, Farzaan and others are greatly look forward to having you here again on Baros.

Kind regards,

manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went to Baros last month for our honeymoon and stayed there for 5 days. We're from the Philippines so we're kinda used to seeing breath-taking beaches. I never thought i would get to see beaches more beautiful than of those in my country. Everything is picture perfect. Maldives is paradise.

What made the stay more memorable? The great service provided by the Baros staff. From our arrival down to departure, everyone's been friendly. Really making sure they've been providing great service. We got their cheapest villa, but their deluxe villa is already comparable to the most expensive villas/suites of other 5 star hotels/resorts. And the food was just great! from appetizer down to their dessert.

The beach is just perfect. even by just standing still, you can see fishes and corals around you. We dont know how to swim but it didnt become a problem. We didnt need to swim very far to see corals and fishes.

If given a chance, we'll definitely go back.And we will be bringing our families with us for sure :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear belleblushes

Thank you for sharing your valuable moments with us.

I am delighted that you adore very much the beauty of this Paradise and its marine life even though you have many stunning beaches in your home country, as you mentioned.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back together with beloved family on Baros Maldives!

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Having gone thru a recent illness, once I was better, my husband said "we're not getting any younger and while we have good health, let's have a special holiday - where would you like to go?" The Maldives!!!!
Despite there being hundreds of resorts, we chose Baros on the advice of friends in the know!!
From the moment we were met at the airport to the moment we went back into the airport, ten days later, we were treated like royalty.
The adventure started with a fantastic speed boat ride of 20 minutes, to be greeted by champagne and friendly faces. After a short tour of the island and an explanation of all the facilities, we were shown to our Baros Villa. The bed was huge and comfortable, the aircon was effective, the outdoor shower - a real treat, everything high quality including the beach right outside our villa.
We tried all the restaurants, all were outstanding, plenty of choice - we attended two theme nights - Maldivian and Asian - wow what a feast!!
We snorkelled every day right round the fantastic home reef - the colours, variety and quantity of fish is unbelievable. Turtles, reef sharks, rays - they were all there and on one particular day we were sat on the beach and saw four Dolphins swim by just outside the lagoon wall.
We went scuba diving with Ahmed, from the dive centre, and he really looked after us and showed us the best places to dive. My husband then went on an open water dive in a small group with the dive centre - what a fantastic experience that was. To put icing on the cake on the way back, just 300 mtrs out from the island, they came across a school of around FORTY Dolphins - what a treat!!!
I visited the Spa for a massage and facilal, the treatments were good and the massage really sorted the stiffness in my back out!!! My husband used the gym on most days.
Baros,itself is a jewel but its greatest asset are the staff - nothing is ever too much trouble, you are always greeted with a friendly smile - in fact they go out of their way to make your stay on Baros unique.
The only problem now is that we've been spoilt - so what's next??? Another visit to Baros - oh yes please!!!!!!

Judith and Chris
Worcestershire, UK

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven_Walter, General Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello Judith and Chris

Many thanks for your kind words.

Your wonderful comments have been shared among my Team and we are thrilled that you enjoyed every bit of this Paradise has to offer and it was indeed a pleasure having you both.

We do hope that you have scheduled your next visit to Baros; Ahmed and the rest of us can’t wait to see you again!

Warm regards to you both,

Sven Walter

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!