Here is the letter I wrote to Orbitz Customer Care while stuck in this hotel. I think it says it all. I was unable to get a refund because they said we did not cancel 24 hrs in advance even though Orbitz had called them 24 hrs in advance but they did not answer the phone.
Dear Orbitz Customer Care,
I have been using Orbitz for at least 8 years, and I have always been happy with the services and accommodations I have booked through your travel website. I used Orbitz to book the hotels for my current trip to Sydney, Australia. The first hotel we stayed at was the Travelodge Wynyard, Sydney. This 3-star hotel was great and lived up to expectations of service, room quality, and extra amenities such as the restaurant and gym. We got a great deal through Orbitz and were very happy with the outcome.
We left downtown Sydney to stay in North Sydney and I booked another room through Orbitz at the North Shore Hotel. This hotel was also ranked 3-star and was the same price as the Travelodge. Thus, I expected a similar level of service, quality, and amenities.
Unfortunately, the 3 star ranking was not an accurate reflection of this hotel. In the U.S. I put a Motel 6, or a Super 8 Motel at about a 2-star accommodation. This room that I am sitting in now is FAR INFERIOR to a typical Motel 6 room.
The room is not well maintained:
- paint is peeling off the walls and ceiling
- The furniture is old and rickety with paint peeling
- I am sitting on the floor as I write this email because the room is so small, I had to put my luggage on the desk
- There are black scuff marks on the walls
- The bathroom is so small I (who is 5’7”) can touch all 4 walls while standing in the middle of the bathroom.
- The shower is so small my wife (who is pregnant) had to squeeze her way out the shower door (I’ve seen larger showers on boats)
- The walls are painted brick which gives it that ‘prison’ ambiance
- The lights are turned on and off by a string hanging from the ceiling (classy!)
- The mini shampoo bottle was not full
- I have to snake my way to the bathroom between my luggage because there is no place for the bags to go
- The TV is at least 25 years old, lacks a remote, and not all the push-button channels work (this should be in a vintage shop, not a 3-star hotel)
- The toilet seat is old and flimsy, and looks as if it was purchased at the “Dollar Store” years ago, along with the shelving, mirror, and shower head
- There is some sort of school behind the hotel that our only window backs against and we were awoken in the middle of the night by two large vehicles just outside our window
- The toilet gets stuck in ‘flush’ sometimes and you must pop the button out to make it stop
- Upon arrival we asked to change rooms but upon seeing our other choices we decided our current room was ‘best’
- We paid $5/hr for internet and service was intermittent so I can’t even send this letter to you until we go to a proper internet cafe
- The phone book in the drawer is from 2003
On the bright side, the bed and sheets were clean and the people seemed nice.
I am not asking for my money back, but is there any way I can avoid staying here another 3 nights (the dates I have already booked) and stay somewhere else instead? Normally, I am not a hotel snob. In fact, I regularly stay at Motel 6. I just feel the price and 3 star rating did not live up the promised level of quality nor your company’s high standards. In addition, my wife is pregnant and I really want her to be comfortable. I will stay anywhere in Sydney near public transport that is around $100/night. Thanks for hearing me out.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.