“VERY DISAPOINTED” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“VERY DISAPOINTED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have been to this pub before and used the restaurant always happy .but our last visit was terrible.Service was very poor, food was ok when we finally got it.Noise from people using the restaurant as the bar gave avery bad atmosphere.Sorry to see this pub go downhill so fast.We wont be back in a hurry

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rushden, United Kingdom
“Appalling service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

A group of 13 pre-booked on a Thursday evening, a fairly quiet evening. We assembled for a pre-dinner drink circa 19.15. One person was serving yet two waitresses stood behind the bar chatting. We sat at tables which we had to bring together and awaited a waitress to take our orders for steak (it was predominately a steak evening). Having taken our orders for 12 fillet steaks and one rump, she returned a few minutes later to tell us that only 5 fillets were left, meaning that seven needed to change their orders. Meanwhile, bottles of wine were ordered and brought to an adjacent table along with wine glasses. We then had to pour and serve our own wine whilst empty glasses from pre-dinner drinks remained on the table. Starters arrived after a lengthy period , my own being two thin duck spring rolls served with some greenery, A long wait then followed until dishes were finally removed. When the main meals arrived they were served with chips and petit pois with one smallmushroom and half a small tomato.
After at least 15 minutes a waitress arrived to ask if we had finished. Plates were cleared and another long wait ensued until our waitress arrived, but instead of asking if we would like to see the dessert menu she asked if there was anything else we would like. By this time everyone was ded up and decided to order coffees and the bill. Surprisingly the bill arrived in less than two minutes.
On only one occasion throughout the entire meal did a waitress ask if we would like more drinksand empty glasses remained on the table.
Although the waitresses (only 2 that we saw) were young, at no stage did they ask if everything was alright nor did they use their own initiative .
I will not be returning to this venue.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, UK
“Two for a £10 - a nice treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Visited a week ago on the spur of the moment rather than cooking at home.. at this price (two for £10 menu) it makes some sense :-) Have eaten the same menu in past and always thought they served the portions to match the price... well on this occasion I have to say my wife and I both struggled to finish our meals (but we did :-) ) - wife even managed a £2.50 pudding.

Now this ain't haute cuisine but it doesn't pretend to be ... it is what it says on the tin .. friendly and quick service (not like other reviewers I have never had a problem with speed, but we would normally eat early, say between 6 and 7.30 before "the rush").

I had the haddock and chips (ok there was a £1 supplement but...) and wife had gammon steak, both good portions and well served, hot and tasty.

Table could have done with a better wipe down before we sat down, but that was quickly resolved and it would have been nice if the fire had been lit... would have added the extra cosy touch.

IPA is a good price... several pennies cheaper than nearby village pub... so with good price food AND beer it adds up to a decent "recession proof" pub... in my opinion.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Not impressed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had previously eaten here and been quite impressed! Very small portions, I actually only got 9 chips. The lasagne was nothing more than a microwave meal and it was over £9. Wouldn't bother again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Poor start, I should have learnt ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I had a problem trying to book a table at this restaurant. The manager who took my call was very rude and lacked basic customer service skills. However, after complaining to the head office this was rectified and I was advised we would have a free drink. These never materialised.
When we arrived the staff clearly knew who we were (following our complaint) as we were shown to our table quickly and they were very polite.
The starters came and one of the two was wrong! Again this was rectified but looked like it had just come out of the microwave.
Mains and deserts were much better, large portions and quite tasty.
There was a delay to have our pudding order taken and we had to chase the waitress to take the same.
We couldn't really complain as it was the manager I had complained about when I tried to book. Surprisingly the manager didnt make a personal appearance all evening to apologise for his rudeness when taking my booking in the first place!
Wonderful location , could make so much more of the place but it lacks that cozy feel and is pretty average! Will try the Horseshoe next time.