“a lovely hotel in idyllic surroundings” 5 of 5 stars

Crown Wetheral Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station Road, Wetheral, Carlisle CA4 8ES , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wetheral
durham
“a lovely hotel in idyllic surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Booked last minute for this hotel. What a lovely surprise. Hotel room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was spotless. We ate in the hotel and chose the bar rather than the restaurant. The food was very good and the staff were excellent. Prompt and efficient service and good value for money. Pool and other services were excellent. Had a lovely stay and we will return.

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room that was very close to a function room. There wasnt a function on at the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jewelscrown, General Manager at Crown Wetheral Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your last minute break with us at the Crown Hotel. I have passed your rewarding comments onto my team.

I would like to thank you for choosing The Crown Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paul Hicks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We all have different reasons for wanting an overnight stay at hotels. So when it comes to writing a review you must always take that into consideration. Likewise we all have very different expectations. If I tell you that I stayed here with my wife for one night, for a very overdue night away whilst the grandparents had the kids, then that might help you the reader to appreciate the highlighted points.

I initially booked this hotel for convenience, being in close proximity to Carlisle and not far from Penrith along the A6. It later became apparent that I had also bagged myself a bargain for a one night stay. So that made things even more welcome.

Greeted by a very nice gentleman in reception who promptly dealt with us and advised the usual details.

The room was a good size, lovely and clean with an immaculate bathroom. I'm not fanatical about cleanliness, I was after all only staying here and not buying the place but it really was clean. With the nice addition of toiletries and the shower was awesome. Lovely and hot.

We didn't eat in the hotel that evening and opted to venture into Carlisle, which wasn't the best choice considering it was a Monday night and very little happening. We've been to the city many times and should've realised the outcome.However we did manage somewhere.

For breakfast we opted for room service, OK so it was a fiver to have it served in the room but the night away was a treat after all so why not?! It was scrummy.

It was just one night at the hotel but a great customer experience. The main part of the hotel is old and the floors creaked. There was also some noise from the bar below, but non of this deserves any more focus than a mere mention. The village of Wetheral is lovely and whilst this can be hardly called the Lake District it is essentially on the doorstep.

One final point - parking! Due to having a leisure centre attached and from what was assumed to be Zumba taking place, there were a lot of cars in a very tight car park. Maybe just maybe hotel patrons should be given priority? just a suggestion.

If your in the area, and want some charm along with practical modern day hotel service then please make a night of it.

Room Tip: Possibly 2nd floor would be better, less noise from the bar below.
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your highly praised rewarding review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us where upon you enjoyed all the facilities and services that we offer . I am happy that you thought your stay was a great customer experience.

Our car parking at times can become busy due to hotel guests, conference guests and leisure club members. If the car park is full there is always on street parking for the gusts to use.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a very difficult review to write as it is hard to decide on a fair rating for the hotel and give fellow travellers a balanced report if they are considering staying at the Crown.

Our executive room was very clean, comfortably furnished and well equipped, with a private balcony overlooking the well kept gardens and surrounding countryside.

The bathroom was spacious, with a good powerful shower and ultra quiet extractor fan, but allow plenty of time to run a bath as it took over 20 minutes to fill with hot water.

The hotel was busy and a wedding reception was taking place in a function room on the ground floor, this caused us little concern as we were on the 2nd floor so we didn't worry about the noise level.

Dinner service was very slow, and we put this down to the hotel being very busy.
It took around 1/4 or an hour for the drinks we had ordered to arrive and nearly 40 minutes to be shown to our table.
The food was very good, a comprehensive and interesting menu to choose from, all very well cooked and presented with GF bread rolls available.
The serving staff were keen to please and attentive without being obtrusive.

But the time taken to serve us was simply too long, we didn't spend long periods with empty plates in front of us as they were cleared away promptly when we had finished a course, but service took over two hours from taking our order.
However, that was the least of our problems.

When we returned to our room after dinner we discovered that the wedding reception had a live band and the noise was horrendous, it was impossible to watch TV, we could feel the noise through our feet in the bedroom, the tea cups were vibrating, not what we needed after a busy day.

We complained to reception, who initially pointed out that they warned guests in confirmation emails about the possibility of some noise, but after making it clear that the noise level in the room was far from acceptable, the duty manager reassured us that he would speak to the party.

After returning from a walk around the village the noise level had become much better, and although we could hear the disco, it was well within reasonable limits.

Then the band started again and continued to around midnight, and though the disco after then was quieter, we were sensitised to sound and sleep was simply impossible until the early hours of Sunday morning.

I have huge sympathy for guests on the first floor directly above the function room.

In the morning my wife had a great experience in the leisure club and enjoyed a swim, sauna and Jacuzzi.

Breakfast was promptly served, offered a good range of options and was tasty and enjoyable.

At check out the staff were very apologetic and indicated that the hotel would look at their policy regarding live music at functions. They also adjusted our bill to reflect our poor nights sleep.
This was much appreciated and shows that the hotel is very concerned about their guests experience.

Had it not been for the noise issues we would have rated this hotel as very good or excellent, and we will almost certainly give it the benefit of the doubt and stay again.

Our advice to anyone contemplating a stay at the Crown would be to double check as to whether there is a function booked when you are staying.

It feels almost a disservice to the hard working staff to have to write critically about our experience at the Crown, but to not write this review would devalue Trip Advisor which is a site travellers use as a helpful resource when choosing a place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jewelscrown, General Manager at Crown Wetheral Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the discomfort that you experienced from the entertainment provided by the wedding. We did endeavour to manage the situation by requesting that the band turn the music down but it was to no avail.

I would like to also apologise for the shortfalls in the standards you received during food service, please be assured I have spoken to all departments concerned, and I do take all comments seriously.

With all the above in mind, I have written to you personally and I look forward to hearing from you.

Once again I do apologise and I hope in the future I will be able to restore your faith in the Crown Hotel.

Beeston, , United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We came up for our friends wedding, we stayed in an extremely comfortable and clean room the food was gorgeous and the staff were friendly and helpful and made our stay even more enjoyable.
Would highly recommend and will be coming back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Crown Hotel. I would like to thank you for choosing the Crown Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Troon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just returned home today from a great 1 night stay at the Crown hotel. As usual the staff were friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean. It was great to arrive and see a wedding party have their photos taken. We checked in and were given a free room upgrade to 1 of the suites which was brilliant with its own lounge and 3d TV. Again our evening meal was of the highest standards and we will defo be returning soon.Thanks to the management and staff for a great Saturday night stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our first time at The Crown for a meal, although I have been a couple of times previously for a drink. We were very impressed. The menu was extensive with lots of interesting and enticing food combinations. The three of us all had different main courses and different desserts and all were delighted with our choices. The food was outstanding.
We just ate in the bar but the atmosphere was very pleasant and we received a very warm welcome and very good service. A real treat

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your recent meal with us, where upon you have described the food as outstanding. I have passed your highly praised review onto my food and beverage department.

I would like to thank you for choosing the Crown Hotel as your desired restaurant and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Lovely location, very attentive service from all the staff. I booked a room while working away to ensure I was rested for a work meeting. Unfortunately I was kept awake until 12pm due to the noise from the bar below my room. I was also disappointed by the house keeping due to the dog hair on the carpet. The food and the spa facilities are good.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask to be away from the bar
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that your stay was not restful, due to outside emergency work on the train line and bar noise that you have experienced. I have spoken to my housekeeper regarding the dog hair in the room and I do apologise for this shortfall.

My Rooms Manager has written to you personally in which I hope that you have received her email .I am happy that you found all staff to be very happy and you thought the hotel was spotless

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crown Hotel where upon I hope to be able to restore your faith in the Crown Hotel

Paul Hicks

Been to Crown Wetheral Hotel? Share your experiences!