“Fabulous Grenada Property” 5 of 5 stars

$350 (USD)
Roswell, Georgia
“Fabulous Grenada Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at Mt Hartman on a five day business trip. I usually stay at the Coyaba on Grand Anse but looked for a change of pace. WOW is all I can say- I found it. ALL the staff (David-the GM, Dean, Susan and Peter) made me feel special and catered to my every need. They are friendly and made my stay comfortable. The food is fantastic and they will make whatever you want- they even made me salads everyday to takeaway for my lunch at work. The views are awesome and rooms very spacious. I will definely be back!

Room Tip: Choose the Rose or Blue suite for spaciousness and views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful week-long stay here, but I can see that it wouldn't be for everyone. What we loved:
--The privacy: Sure, it wouldn't be terrible if the place was a teensy bit more lively, but I doubt at another resort we'd have the infinity pool and ocean views all to ourselves. It was peaceful and relaxing and the staff never intruded. We knew where to find someone if we wanted something, but it was nice to feel like we had this private house to ourselves without feeling like someone was lurking in the background waiting for us to need something.
--The views: The hotel is set into the cliffs overlooking the bay and the views are simply spectacular. The only downsides: it doesn't get the sunset and it's windy—but it's also pretty hot and humid, so the wind is needed.
--The pool: Gorgeous and a decent size. It was little bit chilly, which we always thought was funny given how warm the air was. We spent most of our time here because the "beach" area wasn't as nice. The ocean was a little bit weedy in front of the property and the actual sand was eroded in places. I know they're working hard on sprucing the place up—rooms, too—and I have no doubt that they will be cleaning this part up soon.
--The staff: As others have mentioned, everyone who works at the hotel is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. The new manager, David, helped us set up cabs, a snorkeling trip and weighed in on day trips. Dean, the restaurant manager, also couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.
--The food: Breakfast was always delicious—fresh fruit, coffee, cereal. Dinner was expensive (though in line with everywhere else on the island) and the menu didn't change, but they were willing to accommodate special requests and always had good fish. Given that it was a cab ride to go anywhere else for dinner—and that the island doesn't actually have that many restaurants—we opted for dinner here every night but one.

The big downside, of course, to being in such a remote location, is that you either had to rent a car or hire a cab (not cheap!) to go explore the island. We did both, but after one long day in the rental car—managing to get lost about 4 times despite there only being one main road— we decided it was way less stressful to hire Dave (the hotel's prime cab driver) to take us places. The nice thing about Grenada is that the island's beaches are public, so we spent time at both Magazine beach and Grande Anse where you can rent beach chairs and umbrellas. Highly recommend checking out both. But for an even easier afternoon excursion, check out the Calabash hotel, which sits on a different bay from the Mt. Hartman. We walked over there on two different days. Because they weren't super busy, they let us use their beach chairs free of charge. And they have a great outdoor restaurant on the beach. But we were happy to come back to the Mt. Hartman every night!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Reefview suite on the top level. The three rooms up there have the best views. But...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you are reading this, you are someone who wants something more than a nice hotel with a pretty pool. Something special, beyond special. A trip, a place that makes you want to stop the clock and enjoy every single second. Grenada itself is a place that is magical. But this special hotel, it is more than a hotel. From the very moment we got off the plane and were met by David and Peter, it was perfect. There is no issue of "will our room be ready"-even though we arrived at 6am. We were escorted to our absolutely perfect room and then had breakfast. The food here is some of the best on the island, the hotel rooms are absolutely stunning, and the staff is above and beyond amazing. We felt so "taken care of" at this hotel. Part of me wanted to not write this to keep this place a little secret, but I want to share the fact that this place--there is just something so wonderful about it. We spent breakfast with Suzanna, who is absolutely amazing, dinner with Dean and drinks with Timothy, all the while visiting with Peter for a chat and his amazing dogs (and of course David is there to make it all run smoothly). A review simply will not do this place justice, but it was a slice of heaven and a place that I will be back to very soon.
"Be spontaneous, go where the wind takes you."

(ps--if you are a runner, beware of the hills nearby! and if you get lost, everyone knows of Mt Hartman bay affectionately as the cave).
pps-- we spent some time at another hotel on the island, and had a wonderful time there as well--but we got stuck because of a snow storm for an extra night and decided to come back here for our last night. We were welcomed with open arms, and it felt like we were walking back into bliss!
Thank you to the whole team. We cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: Any room, but we loved reefview and rose suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montauk, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband and I were married in Grenada 24 years ago. We decided to go back to relive the magical experience! We couldn't have chosen a better place. From the moment we arrived at Mounthartman we were charmed by the unique property!! We don't like to stay in big hotels with lots of tourists so this was a great choice for us.

From the minute you arrive the manager David and Peter can't do enough to make your stay amazing. We were greeted with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and an anniversary card! It made us feel like home. The Rose room is where we stayed. The furnishing are simple but elegant . The view from the bed is beautiful . The bathroom is large enough for 2 people with a huge tub overlooking the bay.

We breakfast at the hotel every morning and it was devious . The service is perfect and very relaxing. The wait staff is very helpful and will give you great advise on exploring the island.

I do recommend renting a car and exploring other areas of the island. If you want a peaceful experience with an amazing host this is it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: Ask for the Rose room or beach house.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel is very private with an unbeleivable setting on the island, Located and convenient to the airport. If you want something out of the ordinary and just hip and cool this is your place! The Estate is Carved into the side of a mountain, one of the nicest boutique hotels we have been to.

Our room was on the top of the hill with the hotel below us, our view every day was over looking the bay and was sensational. My wife spoke with the General Manager David before we arrived, he could not have been nicer and after meetting him he could not have been more acomadating to us. David picked us up at the airport and brought us to the hotel, a special rum cocktail awaited us from a gentelaman named Dean.

We spoke with David every morning and went out on most of his suggestions on various restaurants and sites.

He was more then accommodating to all our questions and wishes.The other staff menbers at the hotel were amazing and could not have been better, always casual and friendly.

Breakfast was fresh local fruit, spiced oatmeal and or an English breakfast. Dean, the Maitre d' who also served us breakfaest some mornings made sure we had everything we needed, (the man is excellant).

On some other mornings we had two different ladys servers who again were as great as every one else.

The restaurant features a waterfall with very large windows with all views, there is also an out door seating area that wraps the restaurant.

The food is very good and nicely prepared, the catch of the day is always great.

There is an infinity pool over the bay with sail boats everywhere, very pretty. Down from the pool area there is a small private beach for swimming.

Last, I want to mention a gentleman named Peter who overseas the estate. I would say if he is not the owner of this amazing property he should be!. He is one of the nicest most intresting gentlemen I have ever met in all my travels.

If anyone needs to know anyone or anything on that island YOU MUST ASK Peter he knows! this man is amazing, so nice it was truly our pleasure always speaking with him.

Room Tip: On top of the hill.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

If you desire a magical, private and peaceful getaway you will find this all at the
Mount Hartman Bay Estates in the lovely spice island of Grenada. Located the affluent lance aux epine section which is convenient to the airport. If you are looking for a hotel in the middle of the hustle and bustle this is not for you. If you want something extraordinary and super cool, the Mount Hartman Bay Estates is it. Carved into the side of a mountain this outstanding Eco- friendly boutique hotel looks like Gaudi's dream holiday residence. Our room on the very top had sensational views of the bay, beautiful linens and an exceptionally large bath with soaking tub and separate glass shower with dual shower heads and double sinks. Our room was the Odeon.
Prior to our arrival We spoke a number of times to the General Manager, David who happens to be adorable and French. He could not have been more accommodating.
He actually picked us up at the airport and brought us to the hotel where we were greeted with a special rum cocktail. Throughout our stay he could not have been more accommodating. David arranged for a car rental, a charter sail boat and various restaurant and site suggestions around the island. He seems to be in the know about everything on the island. He even sent us to a crab racing event which was very fun.

The other staff at the hotel were excellent and could not have been nicer. There atmosphere is casual and friendly. Breakfast was an array of fresh local fruit plus most anything from exquisitely spiced oatmeal to a full English breakfast. Susan who was our waitress in the restaurant told us about many out of the way places to go which were off the beaten path. She wanted us to experience the real Grenada. Dean, the Maitre d' was also very helpful and made sure we had everything we needed.

The restaurant is in a natural setting featuring a rock waterfall and is surrounded by massive windows with views as well as out door seating for cocktails. The food is fresh and nicely prepared in a local style. There was a catch of the day but the rest of the menu did not change. I would have liked to have seen daily specials including a grilled fish option. Nevertheless everything we had was good. The ginger pumpkin soup, organic local goat cheese salad, the fried pineapple fritter with nutmeg ice cream and the sticky toffee pudding were a few of our favorites.
We enjoyed watching the sun set outside with a glass of wine before dinner.

The infinity pool was a lovely feature perched over the azure bay dotted with sail boats. It was the perfect size to swim laps or just chill. Below the pool was a small beach and access to the bay for swimming. There was an additional beach next door as a part of the beach house as well as a dock, heliport and impressive yacht of the owner.
The first day we arrived we used the small gym which was not great. We quickly realized we did not want to be in a gym anyway when there was so much to do outdoors.
There is free wireless but is not fast anywhere on the island. We found it to be a bit spotty in the room but always strong in the restaurant. At times I wished it had not worked at all so I would have relaxed the old fashioned way with a good novel by the pool or on the beach.
Like most hotels in the Caribbean some parts are weather beaten. This adds to the charm. One should note the hotel has a number of levels which means stairs. This is not a place for someone who is not able or inclined to climb stairs. The stairs are part of the beautiful design and ambiance especially at night when they are lit.
It is best to rent a car or plan to use taxi's the only trade off for a spectacular view.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at this very special hotel.
As it has only recently transformed from a private Villa into a hotel and restaurant, I suspect that very soon when all the minor kinks are taken care of a reservation will be hard to come by.

Stayed March 2013
Sidney Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have just returned from a glorious stay at Mount Hartman Bay. There are not enough superlatives to describe how renewed I am. I am a seasoned Caribbean traveler and usually spend endless time researching where I want to go. I traveled with my sister and 12 year old nephew.

The purpose of our trip was simply to relax, swim, eat good food, and sight see a bit. After reading every hotel review on the island I decided Mount Hartman Bay was my choice. Right from the start general manager, David, was terrific. He immediately emailed me over and over answering all my questions. Anyone can see from the photos Mount Hartman Bay is in a beautiful scenic location. The facility was designed and constructed with great care and detail. The entire staff could not be nicer or more helpful. It is not a social scene or cookie cutter ra ra vacation hotel. It is a wonderful slice of Caribbean beauty.

We stayed in the beach house, which is separate to the hotel. It was so pretty and only feet from the water. We swam every day in the bathtub warm ocean bay allowing the very salty buoyant water to rejuvenate us. There was a warm breeze blowing most of the time and most importantly on our trip no bug bites! We ate almost every meal in the beautiful Mount Hartman Bay Restaurant located up high over the bay with a beautiful view in every direction. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and promptly served. It’s a small dinning room with sweet details. We did try a few other dinning experiences only to quickly decide we were happier at Mount Hartman Bay where the chef went out of his way to give us fresh tasty food.

We drove around the entire island and saw many pretty places. We are back home now wishing we could wake up and have breakfast at Mount Hartman Bay with the nicest staff on the island, go for a swim off the dock, followed by a little reading, drive to a sight we have yet to see, return for another jump in the sea and finish off with a dinner of fresh fish.

Room Tip: We loved the beach house which you can rent totally or room by room. We saw most of the rooms in the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mount Hartman Bay Estate? Share your experiences!