“Lovely countryside hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Walnut Tree Lane, Sudbury CO10 1BD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sudbury
“Lovely countryside hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed here in early May for two nights for a friends wedding. The hotel has a lovely setting by some water and on a summers day it will be lovely to sit out on the terrace and enjoy the view. I was put in a room out in the annex. I didn't mind the fact it overlooked the car park but the stairs to get up to it were very narrow so be careful if you have a suitcase! The room itself was small but perfectly adequate for my stay and it wouldn't be too cramped if there were two of you. It was modern and the bathroom was really nice with a good walk in shower and modern finishings. There was a little dressing table area with tea and coffee making facilities, and good biscuits! The bed was comfortable but on the first night I was disturbed by the strangest noises that I can't even begin to describe, they sounded mechanical and just when I thought they had stopped they started again, I still have no idea what it was but it did disturb me, the second night was fine. My friend had a room above the bar and as other reviewers have commented, you could hear the music through the floor from the bar below so maybe try to avoid staying in those rooms if you can. We dined in the restaurant the night before the wedding having preordered our meals with being a big party. I had the tarragon pasta which was nice but nothing to massively write home about. The eton mess was presented in a cocktail glass but was too layered and not the 'mess' that it should be! I've had better. We had two breakfasts and there was a decent selection of things to have. Four or five different cereals, fruit salad, a small selection of pastries, then the hot trays with sausages, bacon, fried eggs, beans, tomatoes etc. You could ask for scrambled eggs as well which were then brought to your table. The only thing was at busy times they didn't seem to have a quick enough turn around in replacing things. The staff I encountered were all very nice, the receptionists in particular were very helpful and friendly. Overall if you need somewhere to stay while in the Sudbury area, the Legacy Mill would be a perfectly acceptable place to stay, just avoid those first floor rooms!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was my 2nd stay at The Legacy Mill Hotel with my husband but this time we went with another couple and our dog. We had an excellently priced package having purchased a voucher through Travelzoo and for what we paid we had excellent value for money. Taking the dog cost an additional £10 which we were happy to pay. There were a few things though that I think worth commenting on, the first being due to an 'administration error' the restaurant was being used for a wedding so we had to eat in an upstairs room which was a disappointment. To their credit the hotel did email us in advance to make us aware. The 2nd was the price of a glass of wine in the bar, described as a large glass, I was totally shocked that the charge for a Shiraz was £6.80 which seemed extortionate. The beers however seemed fairly priced. Food wise, we enjoyed our Champagne Afternoon Tea and we chose our 3 courses from the dinner menu. The starters were just okay, as were the steak meals but the slow cooked belly pork was very enjoyable. Just after we'd ordered desserts we were told that our dog was barking in our room disturbing other guests. This was handled in a polite and apologetic way and the staff were kind enough to bring our desserts to the bar area so that we can have our dog with us. Breakfast was buffet style but with plenty of choice on offer. It would have been better to have been offered fresh coffee and tea rather than serving ourselves from the vacuum flasks. Our rooms were small but adequate with lovely views over the meadow. A simple improvement would be to hide the TV wires behind the TV screen rather than having them just hanging down. Overall I really like this hotel and the staff are friendly and helpful. It's perfect for lovely long doggie walks and I hope that we will return again soon.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the meadow as lovely views
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

room very small and basic. Both Windows looked out onto the car park. Constantly had to have the thick roller blinds down as everyone could see in our room. People walking down the road as well as driving.
Bed comfortable but tiny bed side tables. Small cupboard for hanging clothes but no drawers or shelves so not sure where you are supposed to put underwear. Finally found a hair dryer in the cupboard.
Bathroom clean and good size which just made the bedroom even smaller. X 2 shower heads but both of them in need of de scaling as water did not come out properly. Window frames rotten and very difficult to open windows.
Ate in restaurant. Food good quality but service incredibly slow. 3 hours for dinner and dessert. yes we were a big party but the restaurant was aware of this as we waited 1 1/2 hours for a table.
Staff helpful and would get anything we asked for (I.e. a jug of water to take to our room). Bar staff remembered our drinks order. Breakfast quality was poor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My sister & I and our elderly mum stayed at this hotel 18th - 21st may, overall we were happy with everything , well except with tea & coffee which was Luke warm & quite undrinkable! The reception staff were brillant & change my mothers room to an easier access one in a seperate annex. This was very much appreciated, the only thing wrong with it was it needed a handle on the wall inside the walk in shower for safety sake

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor when booking room if you have mobility problems as they don't have many so...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manningtree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Lovely hotel over looking a lovely lake. Stayed here for one night with my partner for my brothers wedding. Room good and clean and breakfast very nice. The staff were very rude and could hear the girls b*****g about other people and whispering and giggling to each other. Another thing be careful when you check out as they try and charge you for a bigger room to try and get more money out of you. 3 of my family were told it was 89 for the room when they checked out but it was 79 pounds per room. They quickly say 'oh yeah' when you say the room was 79 pounds. Bit of a joke and a bit of a con. But overall a nice stay a nice hotel but the staff are crap! Only one nice receptionist but that's it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed with my husband and 4 friends on Saturday 24th to Monday 26th May 2014.
Prior to our stay I telephoned the hotel to firstly make the booking then to ensure that ' our experience' at the hotel was just as we wanted it.
Head Receptionist Lorraine, Jenny and Charlotte could not have been more helpful. Really professional, friendly, patient (they may have needed it - I like things right!) - they work as a team and it shows!
We had a room on the 3rd floor; there is not a lift so be aware if you are not physical fit.
The rooms have been refurbished and are really nice, modern with nice bathrooms. The room was spotless, some of this may have been due to the recent refurbishment so I hope that Housekeeping maintains the standard as I am sure they will.
We had a superior room that I think was £10 extra per night. The rooms are not massive and as with any establishment some are better than others and dependant on personal taste.
We booked a Breakaway which included dinner on both nights. The restaurant is a pleasure to dine in and the food of a high standard and well presented on modern white china.
On the first night I ordered cod bites in tempura batter and my husband soup. When the cod bites arrived they were a bit anaemic looking and to my taste were not appealing. My husband offered to swop and just as we were doing so the Restaurant Manager came over to ask if all was well. When I explained, he apologised and took the plate away to return with a fresh much more appetising looking dish.
What actually amazed us is that Andrea, our waitress had noticed that I seemed unhappy with the dish and informed her manager, Codrin, without us having to say a word, how professional is that!! I have expressed dissatisfaction many times in Restaurants and Hotels but for staff to be actually aware of what is going on around them, and to act upon it, is exceptional.
The remainder of that nights dinner and the following night was a pleasure. Andrea was polite and helpful and Codrin was an ever present Manager, fully aware of what was happening in the restaurant - he certainly portrays a 5* approach.
The bar staff and other restaurant members are a pleasure, polite and with excellent customer service skills.
The hotel is in a lovely setting, fields and walks all around. A few minutes from Sudbury Town and Gainsborough's House - well worth a visit.
Nothing is 100% perfect - Breakfast on the first morning was a little chaotic as there was a wedding party staying so they all arrived at the same time to eat breakfast together and the buffet was really busy with people choosing their food. However, everyone was good natured and the young lady in charge of the restaurant managed it beautifully, replenishing food as required. The breakfast was good, lovely fruit salad.
A note to The General Manager of The Mill - you have a lovely team of people working for you, all of them are excellent ambassadors for The Mill and for Legacy Hotels - there was not one member of staff we encountered that would not hold their own in a 5* London establishment - many of which we have stayed in including The Savoy and The Goring.

Room Tip: I think an upgrade to a Superior Room was worthwhile. No lift so be aware if you are to have a high...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel has the potential to be really good however a few things let it down, the first floor rooms are noisy at night because of the speakers in the ceilings of the bar and restaurants. The reception staff on checkout made us feel like it was our fault that we could not sleep, because after midnight we didn't go searching for a night porter to move us. The rooms are also a little on the warm side.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 2nd floor if you want a decent nights sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Legacy Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!