“Our Honeymoon Dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mymering

You added Mymering to your Saves list
Mymering
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Dwarsriver | Dwarsrivier valley, Ladismith 6655, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Ladismith B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sleaford
“Our Honeymoon Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I can only wish we would have booked for a week.... We had such a lovely time with Penny & Andy that we regret we could only stop for one night. We booked the jacuzzi suite (from previous reviews) and from the moment we arrived I was just amazed and happy (which isn't easy to achieve). I felt so at home, the suite was beautiful, lovely set up with the bath and the amazing views, plus a jacuzzi on the deck (there is a shower too). We had dinner with other guests which was normal for us during our stay in SA and we shared lots of life experiences over dinner along with a few glasses of Hillock wine (which is just delicious) by the fire in beautiful surroundings. At this point I have to mention Penny's steak was just the most amazing steak I have ever had. We still talk about it now. Food was of a very high standard inclusive of breakfast the next day. In the morning we were taken away by the beautiful surroundings of mountains and the farm itself. Andy kindly took us for a walk up the mountain for a 360 view of the valley - we still rave about this too. We purchased some the Hillock wine and the tasty jam to bring home as gifts but I've just not been able to give them away. I'm so sad that we only booked for one night, Penny and Andy are such fab hosts, you instantly warm to them. This really was the highlight of my stay and I hope my review really brings this across. Penny also played Nat King Cole - When I fall in love during dinner for us as it was our honeymoon, this will always remind me of Mymering now. I have requested for my family and my friends due to visit SA in Sept to stay at Mymering - I shall be very jealous of them going and can only wish to be able to return one day soon. With special thanks to Penny & Andy this was a beautiful honeymoon treat for us.

Room Tip: I recommend the jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ladilady, Owner at Mymering, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello you two love birds :)
I am so pleased that Mymering offered you what you were looking for on your honeymoon! Precious moments and precious memories. Thanks for your fabulous review and we sincerely hope to see you again. Look forward to meeting your family.

warm wishes from us all.
Penny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Oh my, beautiful mountains, vineyards, stars. The landscape is breathtaking. The view from the bath is even that good. This is the place to experience total serenity! We also enjoy dinner with Andy. Thank you!

Room Tip: Our jacuzzi was cold. Go for another option.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved this place. We were the only guest as the season was about to end. Leo was a great host and cooked a wonderful dinner just for us. He did a great job! I fell in love with the dogs which we took for a walk (or they took us :-) ). We had a suite with a jaccuzzi from which you had a perfect view over the vineyards and the mountains. We only stayed one night and regretted not to have booked for 2 nights!

Room Tip: Room with the jaccuzzi - but I guess all of them are perfect!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

totally love the place. the setting is incredible, the landscape amazing - through visiting there, I totally fell in love with this part of the Karoo. the guest house is upmarket, and the best part is that guests join the owners, Penny and Andy, for dinner - prepared by a wonderful chef. this adds to the total experience and one meets other guests (from all over the world) over a festive dinner. Andy is very hospitable and knowledgeable and takes guests on a morning walk. I would highly recommend Mymering, in fact a visit there is a MUST!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room that has been cleared of centipedes.... we had lots crawling on the walls...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
PepeLadismith, Owner at Mymering, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Our greatest compliment is to have returning guests, always good to get to know you around our table to share a glass of Hillock, a meal cooked by Chef Leo, good chatter and a laugh or two!
See you soon and hope to ensure that the centipedes have found a new home! Country life is special!
warm wishes
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We only stayed here for one night. Next time it will be for longer. Penny and Andy are the most amazing hosts. We felt like we were visiting friends. Our room was the Mae West suite and it was just gorgeous, total luxury, with the most amazing view. It had a little plunge pool and a very large deck. We loved the privacy that our suite offered and we could not believe when Penny told us that Mymering has ten bedrooms. They all offer seclusion and privacy and are within seconds of the main house.

The food at Mymering is just delicious. Chef Leo and Penny produced a really delicious dinner, with a modern take on South African classics. They make all their own jams and chutneys too. I counted 10 different jams on the table at breakfast. We took 2 home with us, tomato chutney and the most delicious grape jam. Yum Yum. We also loved the free range eggs, full cooked breakfasts big bowls of table grapes and fruit. Mymering wines are all lovely. I particularly loved the shiraz.

When I think of Mymering, I remember especially the generosity that we experienced from Penny, Andy and all the staff. The service was truly first class. Nothing was too much bother. Andy even stayed up to watch a premier league soccer match with my husband until late in the night, and was up early the next morning to lead a walk in the vineyards.

This is a special place. Make sure you spend more than just one night. You will be delighted that you did. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PepeLadismith, Owner at Mymering, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Greetings from a beautiful day at Mymering. All the vines are starting to change colour - Autumn is here! Wine is almost done and our 3rd vintage promises to be an excellent year.
Thank you so much for your wonderful and informative review - Andy and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit :)
kind regards and love to you both
Dreieich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Comfortable and private cottage setted in the vineyard. Penny and Andy are awesome hosts. We felt like friends. After a walk with Andy and his dogs in the vineyards we were hungry enough for dinner. Whow, we never expected a menu of this quality. A young cook, direct from school talented for a 5 star restaurant. Oh Penny, keep him until we are coming back next year!

Room Tip: Dont stop driving when you are out of Ladismith. Mymering is about 20 Minute drive out of town!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PepeLadismith, Owner at Mymering, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review :)
Andy and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and our wonderful dogs! I will be 'hanging onto' Chef Leo and after reading your review to him - says that he looks forward to pulling out all the stops when you visit again!
warm wishes
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

For overall experience, this guesthouse situated in a beautiful valley on a working table-grape and wine farm, is a treat. We witnessed part of the harvest and the wine making process. Easy walks in the vinyards or up the hills, wash away the city. The mountains are majestic in the ever changing light and there is much to do and see in the surrounding area. The air is fresh, the sounds homely and tranquility palpable. The food was really good and the hospitality exceptional. Andy and Penny have achieved a perfect balance of inclusion and privacy.This is truly a gem not to be missed. We stayed a few nights and were reluctant to leave. One night is not enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
PepeLadismith, Owner at Mymering, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the great review on Mymering and what we have to offer, so helpful for guests that have not visited us before and so good for us to see that we are not the 'right track'!
hope to see you back :)
warm regards
Andy, Penny and the Mymering team.

Been to Mymering? Share your experiences!