“A warm welcome in Yorkshire” 5 of 5 stars

Swinton Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Masham, Ripon HG4 4JH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Ripon
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome in Yorkshire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our first winter stay at the Swinton Park Hotel on January 16th was everything we had hoped for and more. The grounds were truly breathtaking with a covering of snow. The room had a great view and facilities including the Spa were wonderful. The food was outstanding again and the attention to detail commendable. The steep driveway and carpark were ice free and having a member of staff de-ice my car was much appreciated. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who is visiting the area and it is certainly in our view among the best small hotels in the uk.

Room Tip: They are all good, but the Duke class rooms are amazing

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed overnight for a 'Gourmet' night which included afternoon tea; wine-tasting; a cookery demonstration; champagne reception and a six course gourmet meal with matched wines. It was all wonderful. This is a real quality hotel with lovely staff, excellent food and beautiful grounds with lakes, woods and a very busy bird hide. We walked for over an hour in the deep snow around the frozen lakes, wearing wellies which were provided by the hotel. Marvellous. Our room was stunning (one of the 'Dukes') and we felt utterly treated here. Will definitely go back!

Room Tip: From talking to the other guests, all the rooms were spacious and lovely. We looked a the Turret sui...
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My very first review on tripadvisor having just joined this week, I think I will struggle to find anywhere better too!
Stayed here last week (Jan 24th & 25th) for a two day conference with my company and we once again all asked to return again next year for our 8th year running. The hotel is of the very highest standard in both facilities and cleanliness, but comes devoid of that "stuffy" feel you sometimes get in highly rated hotels.
On the contrary, you actually feel like you`re staying in a "Downton Abbey" style home, with all the staff welcoming you like you are extended family... really, this is the case. The food as ever, was sublime, using the finest ingredients and cooked to perfection each time, - we had bacon sandwiches on arrival, lunch (duck), dinner (fish & steak), breakfast (eggs Benedict) and lunch (the best Salmon I`ve had in my life) again. Not forgetting some excellent scones and muffins during breaks in our schedule. Because of all this food, the long walk some of us had around the superb grounds (grounds... all 200 acres of it!) before breakfast was most welcome.

The bedrooms are just heavenly, with every little touch thought of... and if what you want isn`t there, you are encouraged to ask. Also, importantly for me, the beer was in first rate order too (I know, I know, I`m called a heathen by my colleagues for not drinking wine... but with the Black Sheep brewery just down the road, I can`t think of anything better to drink at this place!)

I honestly cannot think of anything I could pick even the most minute fault with during my stay.
It is absolutely correct that it continues to get the reviews it thoroughly deserves, keep up the truly excellent work and service (which I know you will) and thanks once again, for a truly memorable stay!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the turrett suite is spectacular. I haven`t used the Spa, but I`ve heard goo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have written a review for Swinton Park before and just wanted to say that it was equally as top a hotel as our previous visits. We were there in cold snowy conditions but the hotel was so warm, which is quite an achievement given the size of its rooms, it was so welcoming to walk into reception where there was a massive log fire to greet us, as there was in the restaurant and lounge. Dining there is a culinary delight. Swinton Park does try to provide everything you need and if there is anything they can do to improve they ask you to let them know. We have made many visits there now and it has been so consistent, you know next time is going to be great! Thanks to everyone at Swinton, we look forward to returning.

York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

For my 30th birthday I was treated to a weekend here from my sister. We were treated like royalty the whole time and felt so special. The treatments at the spa are fabulous and we had our own private spa for a hour!
The rooms are amazing and the attention to detail is perfect.
Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2012
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We bought a two night gastronomic weekend at a charity event. The booking was handled very well and we requested the Bradford room which we'd seen on the hotels website. It is a very nice room if a bit tired round the edges. The bathroom is very ordinary, but much of this derives from the shape of the original building. Bed was comfy, heating dodgy - but again, it's an old building I guess. Lovely views to two sides. That said, this was a weekend all about nosh. The dining room is quite superb - best room in the house, with a beautiful ceiling. Rather than ramble on about the food, let me just say it was all devine with excellent service. As it was a gastro weekend, there was a wine tasting both evenings which was fun. During the day, we had several 'sessions' in the cookery school - making truffles, canapes, learning about smoking fish and learning about vinegar - that was the surprise of the weekend. I never thought I'd consider putting raspberry vinegar in champagne! It's a good mix actually! Nearby Masham is worth a visit. We did the tour of the Black Sheep Brewery which was to long with a chap who loved the sound of his own voice too much. All in all, a fun weekend where you mix in with other guests who were all a good laaugh. This building isn't the poshest place you'll ever find - it's a rambling old home that's been converted - but you'll find it difficult to eat better for some distance.

Room Tip: Bradford has a nice view. Bathroom so-so.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Go back in time and immerse yourself in the sybaritic luxury of a bygone era (with all modern amenities) in this converted Yorkshire castle. I agree with BrighousePete that it is not bad value but still expensive. But the hospitality and food are wonderful.

Any complaints? Well we wished that they would treat themselves to a few new CDs for the piped music loop. Nimrod for the 20th time became rather tedious and irritating.

Room Tip: Even the lower priced rooms are more than adequate.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!