“Always Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ripon
suntan01
“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is without doubt a very special hotel. I have stayed here a couple of times before and we also come for Sunday lunch on a regular basis which is exceptionally good.

Beautifully appointed rooms, full of character, on this occasion we stayed in the Scarborough room. the bathroom was fabulous.

I loved the private spa area, extremely relaxing, I just wished it had a swimming pool and it would be perfect.

The food served in the restaurant was excellent.

I cannot fault this hotel, I just hope they maintain the same high standards and i will be returning in 2013!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Leyland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We attended a wedding in December and it was truly a beautiful hotel. The staff were really friendly. Meals were lovely and the hotel room was to die for! Beautiful surroundings. Would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2012
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Hotel is lovely and the restaurant food is excellent. The service however is weak, no real welcome on arrive , we booked for our wedding anniversary and they some how lost our reservation so we were left in the corner waiting and I would of expected a complimentary drink while waiting or at least a sorry to keep you waiting, however after 45 minutes we were taken to a really nice room and we were offered some complimentary drinks while having supper. But after the meal and before you go to bed there is a serious weak point in the facility as the bar is small and unpleasant and the day room lacks any atmosphere so a cosy drink and a quiet chat are not possible.
Lots of potential, no doubt staff smile at you when they cross with you on the corridor and all sort of works while it works but once there is a problem you can't really find anyone who can turn things around!!!

Keep trying!!! dont get me wrong great place just needs some care training!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SwintonPark, General Manager at Swinton Park, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I am so sorry that you felt that the welcome was lacking at Swinton Park. I too would have felt the same had I been required to wait for 45 minutes before getting a drink and somewhere to sit. I am most sorry that this could have happened at Swinton Park and am somewhat surprised as we normally receive so many lovely comments specifically about the welcome at Swinton.

I am also saddened to hear that you felt that the atmosphere in the bar was lacking. The room was built in the 18th century to be a museum for the owner’s treasures from the Grand Tour, subsequently became the chapel to the house and then, with the additions of murals became the bar under the current generation of the Cunliffe-Listers.

In addition, I am surprised that you felt that neither the Drawing Room, unchanged for many years with a plethora of original details and the private sitting room both lacked character and that you didn’t feel that they were places in which you could relax.

Nonetheless I am grateful for you highlighting, with your comments, areas which showed a lack of service. I am now addressing these with the staff and I appreciate you bringing them to my attention so that they can be used as a basis and example whilst we undertake corrective training. I am sorry that you left Swinton being less than happy with your experience.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We decided upon Swinton as the place for our wedding because it is stunning. We walked into the drawing room and were just blown away. The staff are brilliant, and make every part of the wedding as low stress as possible. Whilst it lashed down with rain the whole day, Swinton Park is so beautiful inside that neither myself nor my bride were particularly sad as it remains a photographer's delight.

The rooms have been written about by others on here, and we can only add to their praise. We had 70 guests stay at Swinton, and they also seem to have loved it. When we came to leave today, I felt sad to see the turrets recede behind us.

Nothing but praise for Swinton, the wedding organiser (Hannah), Eric the toastmaster (who kept us calm and sorted out anything that needed sorting), and the host of other great people. As I was leaving, the cleaning staff also wished us well - all the staff get what makes a great experience.

We will certainly come back, if only to see Swinton Park in better weather, and to relive what has been a perfect day.

Room Tip: Our guests seemed to be universally pleased! Semerwater has a bath you can swim in!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have always been made to feel welcome on each visit. My recent visit was on 27 November 2012 and this time my mum and I went for a relaxing night away. We stayed in the Harrogate room which was absolutely lovely and the view from the room was wonderful. We started of our visit by having our nails done, which was really relaxing and the staff were very friendly and nothing was to much for them, they made us feel very welcome. This was followed by having cream tea in the amazing drawing room, you have to see the room to appreciate how lovely it is in there especially this time of year with the open fire on. We then had exclusive use of the spa factilites for a whole hour which was so relaxing I didn't want to leave. Later on in the evening we both had a meal and a couple of drinks in the bar area, once again the meal was lovely. The following morning we had breakfast in the Samual restaurant which is lovely decorated and gorgeous views from the large windows and once again the food was lovely. I would just like to thank all the staff and management for such a lovely stay my mum hasn't been very well recently and she had a wonderful time and that means a lot to me so thank you all. I look forward to returning very soon and next time I will treat my husband.

• Stayed November 2012
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We booked the private spa experience to celebrate a friends milestone birthday. The hotel itself, is beautiful and has been well converted. The welcome was warm and efficient arriving early we were shown into the drawing room and taken to the spa at our allotted time. We had an hour's exclusive use of the hot tub and sauna in a private room which was lovely, well laid out with plenty of towels and robes, my only comment would be that the hot tub was more an undulation than a bubble experience. We had booked treatments in advance and after our time in the hot tub the spa staff escorted us to the treatment rooms. Having been to a number of highly rated spa's I can safely say that I had the best massage/facial I have had in years, two hours flew by and my friend who had never had a massage and was somewhat apprehensive was put at ease and is now a complete convert . Following our treatment we had coffee in the relaxation room and although we were the only spa guests that day there was no time pressure on us.
The restaurant staff were helpful, informative and attentive. There was just the right amount of food for a light lunch, the food was pleasant, nicely cooked, but not exceptional.

I would highly recommend the spa and will return for a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stevenage, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic weekend. Hotel, spa, food, just everything about this hotel was perfect. Dinner was superb, highly recommend the venison. Exclusive use of the spa, sauna and jacuzzi was a lovely addition and the grounds are lovely for a stroll in the early mornings. Everything is catered for and the staff are welcoming and friendly, cannot fault the whole experience. We will definitely be returning in the future, hopefully to attend the cookery school.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!