“Well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Kirkgate, Ripon HG4 1PB, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ripon
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We have have had an enjoyable 2 night stay. Our room was very pleasant although sloping a little ( but it is an old building). For a relatively small place, there is a very good choice for breakfast. My husband particularly liked the very nicely presented smoked salmon and scambled eggs. The bar area is very pleasant and comfortable and we had two nice evenings in front of the cosy fire. The icing on the cake was the excellent evening meals - again, a good choice, well cooked and well presented. Would definitely go back if in this area again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Yeadon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My partner and I went for lunch here based on recommendations on here and initially we were impressed - a gorgeous building and an interesting, seasonal menu. The main courses we ordered were delicious (steak and ale pie, handmade beefburger) which went some way to make up for the unfortunate service we received. The waitress who took our order was rather disinterested in us - not a smile, no welcome, no warmth at all. We weren't too bothered but then we were offered a look at the dessert menu - 25 minutes later no-one came to see if we wanted anything so we paid and left. It was such a shame as the food was lovely. It felt almost as if our custom wasn't important - matched by the interesting look my partner was given on our way into the restaurant area on arrival by one of the staff (we weren't dressed to impress). Overall I'd recommend the menu but I'm not sure we'd go back.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is more than a pub with rooms. The welcome is extremely warm and helpful, the food is outstanding, and the rooms well appointed and quiet. We stay in Ripon as my brother lives nearby; he and my niece were also made very welcome for breakfast as non-residents. As a pub the selection of ales and cider is really good, always with some additional seasonal drinks in addition. My tip to really enjoy this stay... make sure you are really hungry when you visit, as you won't be able to resist the wonderful menu!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

We had a night away and wanted to treat ourselves. We found this hotel and even though we only had one night we had drinks, dinner and one nights stay in Room 8. The staff were friendly, the drinks and food not expensive at all and we had a great experience. We would certainly go again and wouldn't hesitate in recommending The Royal Oak to anybody wanting to treat themselves to a night in Ripon.

Meols, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

Stayed two nights here and really enjoyed Ripon, very nice market town with very friendly people, lots of choices to eat, but limited pubs Royal Oak being the best. Nice ales and staff that are really nice.
The local night club Matrix, down the road though provided a noisy blot at 3 am when they kicked out, very disturbed night, not the hotels fault but annoying none the less.
The restaurant is busy and serves good food at a good price, would recommend staying here.
Good location for nice shops and the Cathedral.
Curzon cinema worth a visit very small and cosy.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

But you're not going for the rooms (which were perfectly good mind you), it's the food you'd be wanting, fantastic flavors and generous portions, really friendly service. We went on a Thursday to take advantage of the Dinner Bed and Breakfast deal. I had Pork cheek to start and Ox cheek for the main, my wife had Squid and chorizo with Sea trout as the main. Top notch.

The bar is well stocked with a good number of beers, and a plus for me was that they had a choice of Ciders from the tap.

The only problem was not being able to try more of the menu, the range and selection of restaurants in Ripon must make it a stop on any food lovers journey on the A1.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

I chose this place after reading the reviews on trip advisor and was expecting great things. And overall I think that's what we got overall. The food here is totally amazing. The quality is fantastic. Lots of choice, wonderfully presented, great taste, lovely fine dining. The service was great too. I have to admit, when I walked in, I was disappointed. It looked like an ordinary pub, it didn't seem to match what I'd read in the reviews or on their website. I panicked as this was an anniversary meal I'd arranged for my husband and I. Things got a bit better when we were seated, as the restaurant area is sectioned off from the main pub area. We enjoyed our main meal, but then as we moved into our dessert, a pub quiz rudely interrupted our conversation! I think Sunday's must be pub quiz night. It did ruin the atmosphere for us. We'd drifted off into fine dining world, then came crashing down into pub quiz world, which was rather disappointing. But overall, a pleasant evening, beautiful food. And if you're into pub quizzes, get yourself down there on a Sunday! X

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!