“Great rooms, great food” 5 of 5 stars

The Royal Oak
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Kirkgate, Ripon HG4 1PB, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ripon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great rooms, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Oak for one night as a stopover driving from Scotland to East Anglia. What a lovely place Ripon is, we shall definitely return there in due course. The Royal Oak is primarily a pub but its rooms are excellent value and of a high standard. Ours was very clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. We had requested a Cathedral view and we got one, which was nice. We were not disturbed by pub noise at all, and there is good security for guests between the pub and the bedrooms. Parking is extremely limited but it is possible to park very close at a reasonable cost so this was not a problem. We opted for dinner in the hotel and did not regret it one bit. The food was excellent and was beautifully presented as was breakfast the following morning. Service was first class and all the staff were friendly and very helpful. Highly recommended, we wished we could have stayed for longer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I live in Ripon and I pop in here for a beer or two quite often although never stayed here I'm guessing if they ar putting as much quality into their food and beer the rooms must be immaculate. I'm always impressed buy the service and the food is just gorgeous. Pricey it may look to some but here you really do get what you pay for. Iv never walked away from here with not evon a small niggle. When your in Ripon forget the prices and just go it's a truly beautiful place in all aspects Standards are very high amazing food good decor fantastic service 5 star well deserved

• Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Me and my partner celebrated our anniversary tonight with dinner at the royal oak. The place it's self is very nice inside, homely an has a friendly feel. Staff were very welcoming and attentive an the food/drink prices were fair. We had honey glazed chipolatas for the table, followed by chicken liver patè for myself and crispy pigs cheek with chorizo for my partner. For main I had the plate of pork and he had a 14oz t bone with all the trimmings. I finished off with a vanilla panacotta with strawberry ice cream. The food was absolutely amazing, the best I've ever tasted!! It was cooked to perfection, good quality ingredients an stunning presentation. The meals arrived promptly an there wasn't a long wait in between courses. The staff were attentive, checking if everything was ok an if we needed anything else. I couldn't recommend this place enough an I will be sure to go back if I'm ever up this way. Not sure the standards of restaurants back home will live up to this place, it'll be a hard one to top. Very please we chose to spend our anniversary here.

Stayed August 2014
derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were going to ripon races ,it is very central just round the corner from the market place.a taxi to the racecourse cost £5 ,we did not eat here as we were going to a night race meeting,but the breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms are all on the top floor so there are a lot of stairs which was ok for me but my husband a...
Ulverston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed for two nights on the 4th and 5th of August to facilitate a visit to an evening meeting at the nearby racecourse. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean and comfortable with a huge and very comfortable bed. The 'brew' facilities in the room provided a wide choice and excellent quality. The food is beautiful, the chef's signature diseases are innovative and inspiring and simply delicious. The Timothy Taylor Landlord is easily the best beer I have ever tasted indicating a very well kept cellar. The hotel's convenient location just off the market square makes it a perfect base for exploring both the city and the surrounding area. Will definitely plan a return visit.

Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed overnight on 27 and 28 July. The room was nice with a good shower and a large, very comfortable bed. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. We had breakfast and dinner on both days and the food was absolutely wonderful - everything we had was pretty near perfect and the chef certainly deserves all of the awards he has been given over the last 5 years. We will be visiting again as everything was so lovely and the hotel is a good base for touring around .

Room Tip: We had room 6 and although it overlooked the street we didn't experience any excessive noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Another fantastic visit for lunch. This is the fourth lunch visit I've had here and it simply gets better each time. As a pub user I know the staff are so lovely it's a treat to find people who are so nice yet not pushy!
I had a great 3 course meal. My duck from the specials board was amazing.
Clean and tidy great beer and wine in a fab atmosphere you are hard pressed to find better in Ripon.

Well done again guys!

Stayed August 2014

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!