“Fantastic food and friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 36 restaurants in Saltash
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've eaten here a couple of times with large family group. One occasion we had an extra that was not booked in, the restaurant was really busy but the staff could not be any more obliging in fitting our extra in! The staff are very accommodating and friendly, they'll have a laugh and a joke, nothing is too much trouble. The carvery is lovely, good selection of meats, veg etc. there are some members of the party who have food allergies and they did their best to accommodate them. I will be going back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
rafman-34, Manager at Windy Ridge Eating House, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
thank you very much for your comment and we hope to see you again soon

85% Recommend
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Best carvery in Cornwal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Everybody recommendeds this place! We've eaten here 4 times in as many weeks, which speaks for itself. Nice people running it, New Years Day had folk coming out of the rafters, but still managed to squeeze everyone in comfortably. No pressure to have starters, or puds, reasonably priced bar prices - just hope us locals can still get a look in when the season starts!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
thank you very much for your comment and we hope to see you again soon
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“My fussy mother couldn't fault it !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had been once before with a friend and had a good experience and was completely surprised by pleasant interior (not what I expected from outside). Great service expecially when the day 'manager' changed over to evening manager/owner ? This must be Rafman?

Had parents staying with us over Christmas / New Year period and after debating where to go, I dug my heals in that we should do the Carvery at Windy Ridge on the Sunday. My brother was very hesitant but I said I had found it pleasant and good value for money.

We turned up (unbooked) 5 adults 3 children and the place was rammed! However, within minutes a table was ready for us and nothing was too much trouble. Children choose various bits from main menu and the adults all went for the carvery.

My mum can normally find fault with anything, but she appreciated the prompt service, cleanliness and the great value for money, fabulously cooked carvery. RESULT ! even my brother (who referred to it as a greasy spoon cafe!) managed to conceed that it was a good choice. Completely relaxed and child friendly. Great value for money. It's not silver service luxury, but I've paid a lot more and had a lot worse!

Spreading the word!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
rafman-34, Manager at Windy Ridge Eating House, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
thank you very much for your nice comment we will always do our best to make everyone feels welcome and we hope you will enjoy your next visit. thank you and see you soon.
Devon
1,896 helpful votes 1,896 helpful votes
“OK food. Folksy feel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It's not bad. The building is a mish mash and has obviously been hacked about and added to many times. The photos on the listing give a fair impression of decor layout facilities and ambience. It's not smart. It's a bit homely/social/community centre. The staff were chatty and friendly, anxious to provide their chosen approach to service. It's a bit down market and patronising but very practical and efficient. Or at at least it was while we were there which was a half full midweek lunchtime. Prices perhaps marginally high but nothing that would deter.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely revolting and shocking customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went on a Sunday where most of our group had a carvery however some of us chose from the menu. I had steak and ale pie with chips, thinking they could not mess that up, my husband had ribs and my mother in law had moussaka. The food was horrible. The only nice thing about my meal was the chips, the pie looked and tasted like catfood. My husbands ribs were fatty and you really don't want to know about the moussaka - greasy and tasteless. I spoke to the manager and explained our food was below standard to which he replied 'other people eat here and don't complain'. Eventually he offered us free desserts but funnily enough none of us wanted to chance it. I said to him that had I not paid for it (classy place, you pay when you order) I would have refused to pay. The meals were not cheap - around £8 each. The other members of the group who had the carvery would say the same thing. The meat looked overcooked, the vegetables boiled and tasteless and the potatoes hard. Would absolutely not recommend.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
rafman-34, Manager at Windy Ridge Eating House, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
thank you for your comment. first of all I like to say that when you had left all your family members apologized on your behalf about your behaviour. and I wish you stated every thing on your review, we reserved a booking for you and your family which was about 45 people on that Sunday evening and we were extremely busy that day but we worked three times harder to set the tables and the decoration which was not paid for we served you the food and we checked we everyone when they were eating and everyone including you agreed that the food was fine. I looked after you and your family members by giving the birthday lady a free drink and the kids ice creams and sweet and everyone was very pleased and you can check with your family members again since one of them was my work mate for few years.
when you finished eating and we started taking you EMPTY plates away you spoke to one of my colleagues and said the food was not right then you walked up to the bar and we spoke and before I spoke with you I remember scraping the left over food on your plates and there was hardly anything left on them and talking about the ribs there was just bones left.
I said to you if you did not like the food way did you eat it and you never gave me a straight answer maybe because you were hungry but from my experience and common sense I never refund money after people have cleared there plates then they claim they did not like it other wise we will be stupid and I always replace or reorder or refund money if after few minutes or after tasting the food and you realize it is not right and I always do and you will find that most places do.
I offered you desserts or any drinks of your choice(wine, beer.....) and you could of taken the drinks if you wanted there was noting wrong with the drinks.
shortly after you left the rest of your family members had desserts and more drinks and they were very happy, they enjoyed the food and the drink and the atmosphere and they bought me a drink and left us a lots of tip money.
finally I would like to say that I am very sorry if our food was not up to your standard as we try our best and that particular Sunday we served over 300 meals and you were the only one that complained and I would like to ask you how do you know what cat food taste like?