“Too overcrowded.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barn Farm Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matlock
Barn Farm Camping
You added Barn Farm Camping to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Birchover, Matlock DE4 2BL, England   |
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Too overcrowded.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We visited the campsite over the weekend, its a bank holiday so you must expect sites to be busy. At barn farm it seems they don't say no and keep ramming people in until the field resembles a festival.
If you thought they had 50 pitches think again, there are no designated pitches and its everyone for themselves.
The good points are: the site is pretty, well maintained (nice grass), clean and located nicely in the peak district. The staff are friendly and there is an evening security. There is a basic shop, clean facilities that never got too busy and a trailer that serves fish/chips at night and hot breakfast in the morning.
I guess for me (and I'm sure this won't be the same for everyone) I learnt a bit more about what doesn't work for me.
I like my own space, I don't want to hear every word other campers talk about at night or be woken by their young children at 2.30am. I don't want other peoples kids bouncing footballs off my car or tent at 9.30pm waking my 3yr old up.
I guess I must be getting old and grumpy and my gripes are more to do with other campers than the campsite. On less busy occasions it may be different. But for me, I would rather pay more and have a pitch allocated, with space to run around.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We have just camped at Barn Farm for the Bank Holiday weekend. There is loads of space (although it's a bit chaotic - they just let you pitch anywhere, so if you arrive first you're in danger of getting your car blocked in!) and the toilets and showers are immaculate. The staff are on hand all of the time, and are very helpful. There's lots of nice walks to do from the campsite, and Bakewell, Chatsworth, Matlock and Buxton are very easily accessible by car. There are two pubs in the village (get there early if you want to eat!) if you don't fancy sitting out all evening.

The only thing that irritated us was the peacocks... Very pretty, but very noisy from a very early hour... They get up a long time before the kids even! A few people were antisocial with their music in the early hours on returning from the pub, but security got to them eventually!

We would definitely stay here again - at £7.50/adult/night it's great value.

• Stayed May 2013
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in one of the bunk houses, clean on arrival, kitchen had all that we needed. Toilets and showers were clean, plenty of hot water.
It is also an ideal base for touring the area not too far from towns but far enough to appreciate being in the country.
Will use again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barn Farm Camping? Share your experiences!