“agree with Mr Brooks” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Jackson Tor House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matlock
Jackson Tor House
You added Jackson Tor House to your Saves list
76 Jackson Road, Matlock DE4 3JQ, England   |
Ranked #43 of 46 Matlock B&B and Inns
east midlands
“agree with Mr Brooks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2004

I'm sorry, but I totally agree with Mr Brooks comments.

We stayed at this hotel last year and I was appalled at the standard. The hotel is very depressing and gloomy, and it ruined our weekend.

We also had the same problem of dark corridors. My youngest daughter who was barely 4 needed to use the toilet and the corridor was so dark we couldnt find it.
The owner stated she tries to save electricity where possible, well what about health and safety. The corridor is so dark without a light it could cause an accident.

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2004

I found the standards of this hotel quite acceptible, the staff friendly and had no problems with cleanliness.
I can hardly recognise the hotel descibed in other reviews.

Bromsgrove. Worcs. England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2004

This is an appalling 'hotel'. DO NOT GO NEAR IT. Allegedly a three star venue (RAC/Tourist Board), this is a gloomy, depressing place which in my view, is greatly over-priced and lacking in 3star amenities.However, the main problem for me was that I was led to believe from the website that it had a bar and restaurant, the latter being important when I am travelling for work. THE HOTEL HAS NEITHER BAR NOR RESTAURANT.As for other 3star amenities: broken radio in room; no telephone in room, but neither could I find a pay phone; lights turned off in 'unused' corridors; toilets inaccessible: gloomy, dark and depressing. The worst hotel accommodation I have stayed in.This should be no more than a no star guest house/b&b.Given the website info, I wonder if this breaches trading standards/trades description act?Clive Brooks

, owner at Jackson Tor House, responded to this review, February 12, 2004
I wish to respond to Mr Brooks' comments. We are not a 3 star hotel, but are a 3 diamond establishment, as per RAC and Tourist Board info. As such our amenities are limited. We do not have to have telephones in our bedrooms, and this is not advertised on our website. Although several months ago we did have a bar and restaurant, we no longer do, and this has been reflected in the websites that we subscribe to, as well as our own (eg Smoothhound and Active Hotels). Mr Brooks booked a double room for 2 people, however, only one person occupied the room. Had he booked it as a single we would have charged £30 and not £59.As for lights off in the corridors, we believe in saving energy where practicable, and unoccupied corridors over night fall into this category. There is adequate lighting left on at all times and the light switch can always be turned on if needed! Had Mr Brooks advised us of any problem with his room it would have been rectified at the time.We are very surprised by his comments because we have so many satisfied customers who return again and again.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2003

Absolutely discusting hotel. Had to go out and buy rubber gloves and cleaning fluids before we could even USE the toilet. It was still filthy after a scrub. We did not dare sleep within the covers as they were unclean with 'personal' hairs when we pulled the covers back. We paid £50.00 for the room and were completely astounded at the standard.
We were with a large party of guests and therefore got to see anumber of the rooms. One bed was covered with spiders when they returned after our night out. Do not use.

Been to Jackson Tor House? Share your experiences!