“Surprisingly Good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout
Derby, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

On a tour of my native county, I was in Matlock at about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon (May 17th). Breakfast was in Bakewell and about five hours ago, so I was hungry. I walked past the Matlock Fish Bar and paid my first visit to a Wetherspoons for some time. Disgusted by the way their prices have rocketed, I went back to this place. I'm glad I did. I opted to eat in and the young lady who took my order was very pleasant and attentive.

Ok, so chippie food is basic, but then, so am I. The food was piping hot, with nice large portions and served on a good sized plate. I didn't have anything else to eat that day, I was so full. It does cost an extra 20p to eat in - that's ok. The place was clean and bright. Tables were cleared quickly as people left.

Walking through Matlock Bath later, I was glad I ate here. The same meal was up to £2 more. To quote Arnie - "I'll be back."

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wirksworth, United Kingdom
“Best chip shop near Matlock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We go there occasionally and usually eat in. Yes the seating is fixed, but to be fair, its not a big shop, there isn't a lot of room.
The food is always hot, never had a problem with that, or miserly portions and the staff always greet politely with a smile on their face. They are always nice to the children too, which as a parent, its something you notice. Prices are not over priced, you pay slightly more to eat in, yes but you do in most places. It costs about the same for the three of us to get full meals than what it does to get a drink and a snack at a local coffee shop.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derbyshire
“Cracking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Good honest traditional take away fish and chips.
Choice of sitting inside too, although this time we didn't.
Food was hot, fresh and tasty.
Good value, and friendly service.

Visited March 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Called in with my wife & daughter, 2 x fish n chips to eat in plus a kids meal, £15+ that we could live with had they been edible, to add to this daughter had a choice of beans, peas or gravey with her kids meal, she doesent like any so we asked for none, 1/2 way through our 11 year old daughter asked if she could have tomatoe sauce on her chips, yes if you give us 20p was the reply, thought that was a bit non customer focused particualry as we had just paid over £15 and she hadn't had one of the three sides included with her meal.

Spend your hard earned elsewhere, very unwelcoming, poor quality food with zero customer service, avoid.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kieran R, Director of Sales at Matlock Fish Bar, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our fish bar,

I remember your visit to the fish bar very well indeed, the staff were exceptionally helpful towards your family and food was fresh as it was served within seconds of cooking, I know you were upset about the prices of sauces from the way you rudely shuck your head at the staff, but there is no need to write such biased reviews on trip advisor, we do offer free sauces to restaurant customers but I remember you specifically asking for the 20p sachets, I'm sorry if you found us expensive but we are averagely priced in the fish and chip shop industry, infact cheaper than most places around.

Again I apologise for your experience and we will work on your feedback to help improve our service.
Hartington, United Kingdom
“Good food in general but not consistent enough in quality.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've used this chippy for years having lived in Matlock most of my life and the only thing that lets it down is the consistency of the fish quality (in particular the cod), sometimes you can get an absolutely delicious piece of battered cod, nice and crisp with fleshy white meat, other times the same fish can be a bit grey and slimy (but cooked).
We've also had the odd occasions where the chips have been decidedly "gritty" other times, perfectly done. Prices are fairly average for fish and chips, I normally have small fish, small chips and a battered sausage which comes to around a fiver.
Service is good (or at least I should say service has improved significantly over the past couple of years at least). We never choose to eat inside as the tables are those fixed ones with fixed chairs (a bit like a military canteen!). They could probably do a whole lot more with this place to make it more inviting for seated diners. Will re-review in another year to see if any changes occur.

• Visited October 2013