“Not vegetarian but love salad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 78 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: Vegetarian, British, Healthy, Café
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Description: The Green Way Cafe is a lovely, family run, vegetarian cafe based in the centre of Matlock, Derbyshire.We create imaginative and delicious, homemade and freshly prepared food. With some vegan options.We serve leaf teas, freshly ground coffee, hot chocolates, cold drinks, delicious homemade soups with our amazing homemade bread rolls, deli selections - homemade pates and cheeses, a delicious choice of homemade savoury dishes in 2 portion sizes, and yummy homemade cakes.We aim to provide a warm, relaxing and friendly atmosphere which is child friendly with our Family Room and also our relaxing Main dining room.Our opening times are Tues-Sat 10am-4pm with late night opening on Friday night til 10pm. We don't take any bookings.Our menu changes every week influenced by fresh, seasonal, local produce.We use organic and fair-trade products wherever possible.
alfreton
“Not vegetarian but love salad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

A bit difficult to find and you might just walk passed it but well worth the visit. Went with a friend for lunch and managed to get a table in the courtyard. It was a coolish sunny day and the courtyard was quite a sun trap.
I've never had such an interesting salad. All the different leaves were mixed together. A mix of nuts, toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc were at one side, as were the olives and feta cheese (from the mains board), leaving the orange, radish and at least 20 other things together,making it a new surprise with every mouthful.. The dressing (home made ) comes separate in a bottle then you can have as little or as much as you want and you get 2 small bread rolls each, all lovely and hot.
They offer 2 dishes for a light meal, 3 dishes for a main meal. We each had 2 dishes, plus a pot of tea each and the whole bill came to £16.
I'm taking my husband next time.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“lovely, lovely veggie food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The veggie food at green way cafe is fab - the cafe is a little small, and the many roomed layout isn't ideal but the food is locally sourced, great quality and really fresh. The choice of having small or large portions is great for little eaters like me! Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We're not vegetarian but decided to try here based on the reviews. What a find! We sat in the lovely courtyard and had delicious homemade lemonade and the deli lunch. It was all excellent and served by friendly staff. Can't wait for my next visit.

Visited July 2014
Lincolnshire
“Vegetarian food as it should be....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is a great little vegetarian cafe, tucked away in Matlock, up the hill just as you go around the bend onto Dale Road. We try to visit as often as we can, despite being over a two hour drive away.
I don't think I've ever had the same dish twice and the salads are a meal in themselves. If you thought salad consisted of a few green leaves with cucumber and tomato then you're in for a real treat.
There's a small but imaginative menu with nothing so boring as a sandwich on it but if you are only in the mood for a smaller meal try the snack size which is available on the main meals (always a choice of three, how to decide!) soups and deli salads where you choose two of three items from a long list of cheeses, olives and pate to go with your salad. It's served with lovely homemade rolls if I remember rightly.
If you have room there's always a good selection of homemade cakes, any of which you can order warmed with cream! I find some of the desserts lend themselves to custard which is not available but maybe the management could think about adding Soya custard?
My only disappointment is the coffee which personally I find a let down but do try the homemade lemonade.
The staff are mostly young, but friendly and you always get service with a smile. I had the crumbs from the table swept into my lap once and food passed over myself or a dining companion which to me is not acceptable when serving food (yes, I've been a waitress) but this was a while ago and doesn't detract from the wonderful food.
The place can get busy as there is only one small room with four (?) tables and I personally prefer not to sit in the family room when there are children in there as I don't find it conducive to an enjoyable meal.
Altogether a gem of a place, proof if it were needed that vegetarian food is NOT tasteless, bland and mostly cheese! Just wish I could visit more often.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alfreton, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, great prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Visited your cafe today with my husband and little boy. This was our first visit but definately won't be out last. The staff were friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was relaxed and lovely and the food was top-notch.
Can't wait to visit again to taste more of your excellent food.

• Visited July 2014