“Do not accept negative reviews, give it a try.” 5 of 5 stars

Castle Inn Bakewell
Castle Street, Peak District National Park, Bakewell DE45 1DW, England   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Do not accept negative reviews, give it a try.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My wife and I met my son and daughter in law during their visit from down south.
I chose the Castle for its location, and must admit that with some of the comments I was a little apprehensive.
However, we arrived early having reserved a table for 12 o'clock, and waited at the bar for my son and daughter in law.
We were welcomed in a friendly manner by the young lady behind the bar(Robin), and our reserved table was pointed out to us.
My son was arriving with two dogs, and we obviously were accommodated in the area designated for guests with dogs.
Now you must accept that to find dog friendly pub is like the needle in a haystack
There was fresh water for the dogs and even dog biscuits if you required, free of charge.
The meal was excellent, freshly cooked and piping hot - drinks as required served to our table- I recommend the cod which was succulent with very crispy batter.
As for cleanliness, this is an old building the toilets are not modern but clean. Due to some of the comments I had a closer look at cleanliness and suffice to say all pipework was clean and I repeat that you have to make allowances for age.
Whilst at the Castle, one lady attempted to go through into the area where dogs are not allowed- even though it says in large letters over the arch - No Dogs Beyond This Point.
She was prevented by it being politely pointed out that no dogs could go in that way.
Within 5 minutes a man (?Husband) asked if they could go through, he received the same reply. No doubt if they write a report they will complain about the staff and anything else they can add. But the matter was handled with diplomacy by the staff.
I cannot comment on rooms or breakfast, but we will be going again without doubt.
Food excellent and reasonably priced.
As for comments on car parking, well this is limited. We both parked in the car park, but can well imagine on busy days there being a difficulty. So find somewhere close by and if you are able it is worth the walk.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at the Castle Inn as our friends were getting married a short distance away, after paying £60 for the room (which did not include breakfast) we were told that we would be in room 4.
The gentleman behind the counter asked if we wanted breakfast the next morning, we had to decide the day in advance and specify exactly what time we would be eating and were charged £12.50 for the two.
After returning from the wedding at approx 2am we were shocked to find a couple had managed to get into our room and were sleeping in the bed, they had a room key for the room next door so it would appear that the keys just open all rooms. This couple were so embarrassed that they returned home immediately.
We complained the following morning and the staff did not seem that interested, they did not offer any refunds or even bother to ask if anything had been taken (luckily it had not!).
I would not stay in this B & B again, which is a shame as the rooms were a good size and the food was very nice.

Security is obviously an afterthought for the manager!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
IRELAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed here for one night, a great base to explore Bakewell and surrounding areas, right in the town but quiet. Room was £60 with breakfast for two of us, didn't try the breakfast next morning, as had bakewell tart instead from the Bakewell Pudding Shop - don't go the the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop, as found it to be rubbish! Sat upstairs to have breakfast and walked out as nobody even bothered to come near us! Do try the Bull's Head pub in Ashford in the Water, which is really really excellent - great beer, excellent food and the staff are so nice. A beautiful village location too. The rooms in the Castle Inn are clean and excellent value for money - would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
wigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Having chosen the Castle Inn to begin our celebration weekend away we were severely disappointed. We had reserved a table for lunch for 10 but were made to feel very unwelcome and as though we were more of a hindrance then a paying customer. The bar man ?manager was rude, unhelpful and obnoxious. We asked for food that was on the menu on the internet and he said he didn't do that and only did what was on the menu that day, he wouldn't do a children's cheese sandwich at first and then decided he would cobble one together but would charge us 4.50. After this we decided to not bother with lunch and go elsewhere due to this man s bad manners and attitude. Reading the other reviews on this site it sounds as though we are not alone. Please avoid this at all costs, there are other much nicer and friendlier places to go in Bakewell !!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bakewell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I am a regular customer at The Castle Inn and often frequent with our children ( 4 and 2 years). I am really suprised at some of the comments listed about the place. Every time we have visited, the staff have always been really helpful and polite, food and service great, and good value. In respect of not being child freindly, I have never found this the case. I would highly recommend the Castle Inn to family and friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Bakewell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I am a local in the village of Bakewell and often take my son and nieces for trips down to the park and finish of at a pub for dinner depending on the weather! I usualy go to the Whearsheaf pub for food as it is reasonably priced and very very friendly, today i thought it would be nice to try something different with the kids and so took them to the Castle Inn, for starters the childrens menu was very fussy for young children wich i found dissapointing even the soup of the day was pe and mint so you can imagine the kids faces lol. The food at this pub has always been fine as i have been in with family and friends before and have never been dissatified. Today i had the children and one of them had managed to open a window that was alreay open with out my notice, the landlord aproached my niece with a very abrubt tone, i appologised of course and firmly told my niece that she had been naughty! the landlord suggested that my children should sit still at the table and if they couldnt that i should take my buisiness elsewhere! believe me i had a few choice words for him and left but my point is this is not the sort of treatment i expect as a paying customer with children when the pub is clearly offering a childs menu! The ages of the children i had today are 2, 4, 6yrs! has anyone managed to keep three children this age sat still at a table for any length of time? i did not realise these were the rules in this pub or any other for that matter that cater for kids! so i do not recomend this bussiness to anyone with kids..oh unless they sit still and dont move from the table!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I paid £40 for a night without breakfast. The carpet wasn't clean, but toilet, bathroom and bed was clean, and they provide tea and coffee in the room. I recommend it if the price is kept on that value.
I saw that the price is £60, and in that case I wouldn't recommend this Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Inn Bakewell? Share your experiences!