“Quality food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Chesterfield
“Quality food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We'd not been to the Old Post for many years, despite living in Chesterfield. Our 42nd Wedding Anniversary was a good occasion to try it again - only to make us realise what we've been missing.
The Old Post isn't cheap, but it both the food and service are of a very high quality.

91% Recommend
Chesterfield
“Superb, we will definately be back !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went here on saturday night, managed to get sitters again for the 2nd time in 3 months !
Read reviews on here about the Old Post and wanted to try somewhere new after driving past this place for as long as I can remember and always wondering what it may be like, well I am glad we took the plunge !
The restaurant is very small and quiet, there were only 2 other tables occupied when we got there @ 6.30pm, but its very cosy, its like walking into your own front room and just as relaxed, not stuffy at all (I would imagine they would struggle to fit large groups in unless they have another room round the back ?).
We sat down and as we were reading the menu, some assorted canapes were brought to the table, one of them was ham hock which led to my decision for the starter.
We both tried different dishes and both cleared our plates: Missus had Seabass starter £9.50, fillet steak main £22.50, lemon possett dessert £ 6.50, I had Ham hock terrine (the best fried egg I have tasted was served with this, no idea what it was cooked in) £ 7.50, rib eye £18.50 and cheese board £7.50, washed down with a bottle of pinot grigio £18.50 and I had a stella, steaks were cooked exactly as requested, the potato that came with it was fantastic, everything was delicous, wish I could have taken some photo's but don't like getting my phone out in the middle of a quiet restaurant.
Service was fantastic, soon after finishing each course, plates were cleared away and we didn't have to wait any longer than 5-10 mins for the next course, everything that needed to be piping hot was.
The best suprise of the night was when the bill came, we had read on their website that it was 3 courses for £23 between 6 and 7pm, but as the menu online was different we assumed that this was an old offer, so we were prepared and would have been happy paying the £90+ we expected it to be, the final bill was £68.30 !!
To me this is an incredible offer and offers a top class meal in terms of quality and value for money and I cannot believe there were only 2 other tables occupied at this time !!!
The menu is varied, has plenty of different meat choices to suit most pallets and I can't see anyone walking out of here disappointed !

derbyshire
“Amazing Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We've just come home from a fabulous family Sunday lunch at the old post, it really is a hidden gem in chesterfield! The food was incredible, the restaurant cosy and the staff incredibly friendly and helpful without being overbearing. We were very impressed by both the quality and quantity of food for the price (£14.95 for two courses), we'll definitely be coming back!

I wouldn't recommend it for young children due to the stairs up to the restaurant but that was perfect for us!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Theres only 2 things i require on a night out spending my hard earned cash and thats good service and good food in my experience this place had both. love the canopes while reading the menu a great touch! def worth a try

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The food was great as well as the wine, though I did think a bit expensive. We did, however, enjoy ourselves.I remember when it was a real post office