“Very welcoming hotel with wonderful Home Cooked Food” 4 of 5 stars

Abbeydale Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cross Street, Chesterfield S40 4TD, England   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Chesterfield
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming hotel with wonderful Home Cooked Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a three night break in snowy March but had a very warm welcome by Finn and Else ,the owners of this hotel. The food was of a very high standard cooked daily with a varied menu of fresh local ingredients. The room, although not the largest double we have stayed in ,was spotlessly clean and was very well presented. We would certainly stay there again and would recommend to our friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night. It's about 15 mins walk from station, and same in to town.
The managers are very friendly.

Clean sheets, and bathroom facilities (shower quite small). Bedroom is slightly small room, but it's not a big issue.

Full English breakfast is provided including hot food, cereals, fruits, tea, coffee and juice etc and is quite nice. Tea and coffee are also available in the room.

Also possible to have dinner, however we weren't very hungry so did not partake. Main course is £15, and on the night we were there there weren't any vegetarian options on the menu provided, but guest information did say that other dietary options were catered for if requested.

if you're visiting Chesterfield or the nearby sights and relying upon public transport, don't go on a Sunday!

Else and Finn and staff were very welcoming and friendly. All in all, a rather nice place to stay.

Room Tip: room 17 is clean with adjoining bathroom. Bathroom is spacious and has a shower and a bath.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night and found this small hotel very welcoming and within easy walking distance of town centre.
I will stay here again next time I'm in chesterfield instead of the soulless big brand hotel chains.
It's not the cheapest but I'd still recommend staying in this very welcoming hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013
Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having to stay away with work frequently, I was a bit unsure about not staying in the usual Premier Inn and Holiday Inn, but I am so glad I didnt stay there having experienced the hospitality of Finn & Else, who made me feel very welcome from the moment I arrived until the morning i checked out 3 days later, especially being a female travelling alone, I'm always a bit aprehensive.. The room I stayed in was very clean, with all the basic's I needed for a comfortable business trip.

The food was outstanding and very reasonably priced for the quality.

If I am ever in Chesterfield for work again, I will for sure be coming back to this little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nasik (Nashik), Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here for one month in January 2013. Else & Fin made my stay memorable. they are wonderful host & taking care of guest like parents. Excellent rooms...., mouth watering food....., pleasant atmosphere..... & caring host..... I would really say its home away from home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Overall: It's a small privately run hotel, not a chain, not a Travelodge. It's "personal" in many ways. I would happily stay there again.

Reception: I got a nice welcome on arrival. I did trip over the double glazed door sill so be careful.

Room: I had a small single as I was travelling by myself. The bed was just fine, the bed linen was clean & crisp. The TV worked well although the channels were in a weird order. The en-suite bathroom was a little on the small side, but it was clean and the water pressure was good in the shower.

Food: Fantastic: I only had breakfast which was individually cooked and VERY nice.

Staff: Else & Finn are great hosts. There when you need them, ghosts when you don't.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
abbeydalehotel, Owner at Abbeydale Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for the kind words, we appreciate that you have taken time out to give us this lovely review, hope to see you again sometime in the future.
Best regards
Else & Finn
suntan01
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

What an excellent experience.... ! Else & Finn are wonderful hosts.

I was a female travelling alone and I have never felt so relaxed when working away from home and staying in a hotel.

My room was beautiful, I had a fabulous night sleep, high quality linen and it was immaculate.

I have to make a special mention in respect of the delicious food served both at breakfast and at dinner. It was superb, Finn you are an amazing chef.

This hotel is a real credit to the owners, the whole experience exceeded my expectations, I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Helen
thank you ever so much for your lovely review.
You were a pleasure having here at Abbeydale Hotel, and
we hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards and many thanks for the review

Else & Finn

Been to Abbeydale Hotel? Share your experiences!