“birthday - a table for eight people” 5 of 5 stars

Buckingham's Hotel
85 Newbold Road | Newbold, Chesterfield S41 7PU, England   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Chesterfield
Milan, Italy
“birthday - a table for eight people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had a super evening with beautiful food and discreet service.
It was a special evening for us all - to celebrate Mum's 75th birthday and a family reunion.
The personal service meant that we all had an evening to remember.
We will be back.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Wouldn't recommend this hotel, there a far better in the area. We sat down to eat in the restaurant and the decor is very dated with glass clowns all over the place. The food was average and our room had a teddy bear on the bed. Our room had a bad stain on the floor which smelt of human poo. The owners were rowing in the early hours of the morning which kept us awake for most of the night.

Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We've been here for my birthday two years in a row now and will definitely be returning. The food is simply stunning, and together with the owners' personal service this puts Buckingham's in a different league than other restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013
Chesterfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Myself and a group of seven friends have recently enyoyed the individual dining experience of the one table restaurent.
The meal was excellent, and each course was individually described to us by the chef, giving a personal touch and although there were several people new to the experience of an 'unknown menu' ......no course was unfinished..... several people said they are were surprised that they tried and enjoyed, such different types of food....
The pre and post customer service was excellent and they certainly make you feel special, I know several of the party are already looking to book again...
Give it a try - you will enjoy!

Room Tip: Can only comment from a dining perspective.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rotherham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have just had our second stay at Buckinghams and was just as impressed as the first. The food was excellent as last time, and I again ate food I would never normally have dreamed of trying. It really is a treat for the taste buds and if I lived closer I would definitely be eating here more often. Nick is truly a magician in the kitchen and the way he explains to you just what you are being served is just fantastic. I also love the fact that all the decision of what to eat is taken away, and is replaced by the excitement of what will be served. Tina is extremely attentative, but not overboard at the dinner table, making the whole experience just perfect. This is definitely my favourite place, and the one I always recommend. Hope to be going back very soon.
P.S Breakfast is also the best I have ever had, and Nick's Orange Marmelade is just so scrummy.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My partner originally heard about this on the radio and did purchase some vouchers to try it for my birthday as a surprise. Unfortunately I was unable to make it at the time so we decided to try it with friends at the beginning of Jan. To say this was a dining experience that satisfied us all was an understatement. Everything was cooked with care and attention and the chef was clearly proud of what he produces by way of presenting and explaining what was being served. We had no idea what we were due to be served but everything we were served was not only savoured, every morcel was eaten. Service was excellent, food was rates the best I have had and I have eaten in many high class restaurants. We had the bronze menu. Fabulous - so much so I booked at the end of the meal for 14th Feb Gold menu.

Room Tip: The other categories did not apply - we simplay went to eat.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was looking for a nice restaurant to take my wife for a birthday meal.
I gave the restaurant a call to book and wanted to book at 8, I was told they were unable to accommodate this time and could we come earlier, I thought that's fine as its understandable if they are busy.
Upon arrival we are greeted by a waitress wearing ugg boots sand her child, I was very surprised as we entered as there was no-one else in the restaurant. It felt very awkward as there was no music and just me and my wife surrounded by hundreds of pot clowns!
We were waiting for the starter to arrive and in the room adjoining where we were they had coronation street on which was very disappointing to say the least.
The surprise salmon starter arrived which tasted very nice.
Just before we were given our main course they managed to turn off corrie however there was still no music, I'm not saying I find it hard to talk to my wife but when your the only people in the restaurant it's a little awkward.
The main arrived and I was a little disappointed by the veg as it was tasteless and it was to similar to the steam bags you put in microwave.
Just as we got our desserts the chef had obviously clocked off as it was time for ice road truckers on the tv! We then had dessert which was ok.
In all we spent £70 for the meal, which I feel it was over priced especially as it is usually £50 a head.
We had tap water with the meal and we had the pleasure of paying for this!

My wife was very upset as we rarely go out for expensive meals and it was spoilt by a few simple things. There was no consultation before the which is what they pride them-self on as its a surprise menu.

I would go as far to say this was the worst atmosphere I have experienced in a restaurant, however the waitress was friendly and the food was ok just not worth the money in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Buckingham's Hotel? Share your experiences!