“Can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raaz Indian Grill - CLOSED

Raaz Indian Grill
21 Soresby Street, Chesterfield S40 1JW, England (Formerly Sanzaras)
44 124.620.2292
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Chesterfield
“Can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'd visited this restaurant in it's previous guise as Sanzara and always enjoyed it, so I thought it was about time I revisited now it had been rebranded and was under new management. I was curious given my love of Indian food and the great reviews I'd read.

Complimentary poppadoms and a jug of water were nice touches (although they weren't the crispest I'd ever had...)

Extensive menu and courteous staff who seemed happy to give advice to diners (we over heard some conversations where the waiters were explaining the dishes ).

Everything we ate from the mixed tandoori platter for two, through the Chicken Handi and Arabian Lamb, motor paneer, aloo bhaji and garlic naan were simply gorgeous. They were all cooked just right, meat tender, naan fluffy and crispy...and just on another level when it came to being able to taste all the different spices.

Best Indian in Chesterfield... I'd say so! :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, Uncaring, Misleading (DUM)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

On a recent recommendation a friend of mine took me to The Raaz as a Thank You present. We were both very much looking forward to the experience and had booked on line. We are vegetarians and always like sharing all the food we order - a shared taste experience! On arriving (just before 6pm) we were asked to leave by 7.30pm as they had a busy evening. We took this in our stride and didn't think too much of it - at the time. We ordered one main course, two side dishes and sundry accompaniments (the accompaniments were great actually although the mains were mainly frozen veg which is rather a lazy culinary strategy). When the food arrived we were served two mains (one which we had not ordered) and two sides etc. As it was an occasion and we didn't want to spoil anything by pointing the extra main out we let it 'go' (at the time) as we had had a debate about the mains and we thought, perhaps, this was the result of a little confusion. This did mean we had rather a lot of food and consequently we couldn't finish it. We asked for a 'doggie bag' and they said it was no problem to parcel the food for us. However - when we received the bill we found we had been charged £2.00 for packing up our left overs.

In the context of letting a number of problematic issues go this became a cheeky moment too much.

We politely challenged the waiter about the extra £2.00 and he passed us onto the head waiter who argued that it was the owner's policy and that he didn't agree but what could he do? (Erm - deduct the £2.00? Explain that we would be charged?). This strategy of shuffling off responsibility onto the Owner's Policies continued when we then, again politely, then raised the issue of the extra main course that we had not actually ordered. Again Owner's Policy - every customer has to have a main course not my fault gov I agree it's not right etc. Presumably ordering two sides does not add up to a main? Presumably one could order 10 sides and it wouldn't be a main.

The head waiter although superficially amiable didn't care much about our concerns and I suggest wouldn't care too much about yours if you had any. If all goes fine with your visit - great. A problem? They won't care.

This is a very short sighted approach to customer service as the Raaz has certainly lost our custom and we will not be recommending the restaurant to anyone we know. On the contrary.

We were simply wanting some very small compromise, a gesture, regarding the parcelling up charge on which the head waiter simply refused to move. Had The Raaz made such a gesture we wouldn't be writing these reviews and would have let the other stuff go.

I'm afraid I can't recommend the place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
umar z, Manager at Raaz Indian Grill, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
What a load of crap, All this because of packing charge. You did not book and I said we were fully booked but if you wanted a table, your welcome but we need it back for 7:30, I came to your table and asked if everything was ok, you replied absolute amazing, you could of mentioned the extra dish then. On the first page of menu it clearly states. one main course per person. one main course, two side dishes is not a problem, I served you and read the names out of each dish. The problem occurred is when we used 4 containers for packing 50 pence per container. Everything in the catering trade is expensive with prices rising all the time we have to charge a small fee to cover the cost of packaging. Most of our veg is fresh, only selected veg is frozen. Your bill came to £35.40 which includes 4 drinks. two main courses, two sides and sundries. I think is very reasonable.
wales UK
“what a shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have given this restaurant a poor rating because of a number of factors.

Firstly the vegetarian main courses are frozen vegetables. Although well cooked and full of flavour, £6.50 for frozen vegetables was disappointing. We ordered a main course and two side dishes and then were presented with two main courses and two side dishes. Maybe I should have sent the extra dish back but I assumed there had been some misunderstanding, and as I was taking a friend out for a thank you dinner, I did not want to 'spoil' the occasion. Then when we could not eat it all and I asked to take it home, I was asked if I would like it packed separately and I said OK if thats not too much problem that would be lovely. They then charged £2 for 4 packing boxes. When given the bill and the head waiter asked if all was ok, at that point I had too many concerns not to mention them to him, after all he was asking.

I said we had not ordered the extra main course that was served, to which the waiter replied that you have to order a main course for each person and that it was clearly stated on the menu. I said that he had not pointed that out to us when we only ordered one and I can only assume he added a main course to our order because of the 'one main course each' rule.

Another less important point but now seems to add to the overall experience, when we arrived at 6pm, despite us booking beforehand for a special occasion, we we were asked to be gone by 7.30pm.

What a shame, as I think overall the food was OK apart from the frozen veg which IS a real shame. This aside, it was at the point when I said that if they charged me for the extra packaging then I really would not want to come back again, there was no sense of resolving this from the head waiter, and although he appeared to be of service, I don't really think he cared much.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Expensive for a curry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We ate here as a group of 8, and the food on the whole is very nice. A very good menu with a huge amount of choice. The restaurant itself has a nicer decor than your average curry house.

The waiter we had scoffed and chuckled and questioned my partner when he ordered his curry "madras hot" or that equivilent. This is the choice of the customer, not the waiter to decide. My partner himself cooks excellent curries and loves the chilli strength. If the waiter wants to stress its hot, doing it without laughing is more acceptable!

When the food arrived we were a naan bread short, the waiter doubted this so we all were asked to inspect our naan's to prove we were right and then wait 5 minutes until they cooked the correct order.

Even with those slight issues we wouldnt be coming back as it is several £££'s more expensive than other equally good curry houses in Chesterfield.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
umar z, Owner at Raaz Indian Grill, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Raaz opened to serve authentic food, dishes we eat at home for many decades, restaurants have served food to meet the British tastes, We try to help customers choose a new dish and move away from dishes which have been around for a long time. We use fresh green chilies and sometimes the dishes can be to hot so we always recommend to go easy with the madras strength. I don't think were expensive at all. We use fresh breast of chicken, fresh meat fresh spices imported from abroad. you must be used to 2-1 meals or buffets, which we don't do at Raaz. We proud our selves with our service and quality of food. The reviews on trip advisor speaks volumes about Raaz. we also have a huge Asian clientele, which is also a good sign.
“Distinctive flavours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

As a curry connoisseur I rate this restaurant highly. A varied, interesting menu with lots of dishes I hadn't come across before. The service was excellent too. My only quibble is that each person has to order a main course. There were 3 of us and we wanted to order 2 mains and lots of sides. We prefer a larger number of smaller dishes to enable us to sample more!

• Visited May 2013