“Faulty towers has nothing on this hotel !!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

The Chesterfield Hotel
Malkin St, Chesterfield S41 7UA, England   |
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Chesterfield
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Faulty towers has nothing on this hotel !!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

One night was to much! Food was a disgrace, Brussels were dangerous weapons turkey was last years I think!!! only one drink per person per visit and supposed to be all-inclusive party night costing £190+( no getting a drink for my wife ) spent all my Xmas party queuing at the bar and arguing with the hotels management. Room was last decorated pre 1st world war, bath time was spent keeping an eye on where I placed my body parts as it was mouldy and could do with a deep clean...overall experience was not one I or my colleges will be subjected to ever again.

• Stayed December 2013
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Christmas Party and accommodation. We have several hundred people booked on our Christmas Parties and the feedback we have received so far has been very favourable.

Sprouts are always a bit of a contentious issue as we can never get them right for everyone. Some like their vegetables al dente while others prefer the “boiled to death” option. If you weren’t satisfied, we would happily have changed both them and the turkey for you.

We have run our All-Inclusive Drinks Parties for five years now and have never had any problems, as the guests drink sensibly and are having a meal at the same time. Unfortunately, the local licensing authority decided to change the rules on us halfway through the Christmas season and made us limit guests to one drink per person, per visit to the bar. It was not what we wanted, but the alternatives were either to cancel the Party with less than a week’s notice, or put our General Manager at risk of going to prison. We don’t want him to go to prison. We need him to work on Christmas Day.

Housekeeping have been instructed to deep-clean your room to ensure that it is as clean as possible. However, the furniture and bathroom suites are old (not pre-First World War, just old) so they can sometimes look dirty when they’re not.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
St. Neots, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The food in restaurant for the first nights dinner was lovely. Well cooked, with friendly prompt and efficient service. Breakfasts were equally as delicious. As we went in to town I reported a broken bulb in our room, this was fixed by our return - nice to see. Free wifi in the rooms which gave excellent service, thank you. All staff were friendly, polite and helpful. Would have been nice to see a flat screen tv with built in freeview (22-24 inch please) rather than the 19 inch CRT with separate box, a minor issue - it worked fine. My wife enjoyed the pool. No hotel is perfect, but I would be happy to visit again, and will recommend to friends if they are visiting. Don't forget; good free wifi in the room and very nice food. An excellent combination.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your meals in the Aspire Restaurant and am especially pleased that you liked our lovely staff. I have passed your comments on to all departments and I am sure they will be greatly appreciated by everyone.

The televisions in the bedrooms vary quite a bit in size and type. If you feel that the one you have is a little small, please let us know and we will try and find you a larger one if available.
Rural Essex UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The waiting and bar staff were a delight, and the food was of good standard.

Unfortunately the same cant be said for the chilly reception from the reception, after dealing with them on several occassions left feeling that it would be a good job, if it wasn't for those guests disturbing them !

As for the room, clean(ish), but very tired, heating didnt work, shower didn't work properly, bed like corrogated iron, and black mould around the bath.

We voted with our feet, (to afraid to complain at to reception).

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel !!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay. I have passed your kind comments about the staff to the relevant departments, where they were most gratefully received. Our staff are a very friendly bunch who love to make our guests as welcome as possible. Our chefs work very hard on the standard of food and have just introduced our delicious new Christmas menu to the Aspire Restaurant and Bar.

I am sorry you did not feel you received the same welcome from the reception staff. They are usually very friendly and helpful. I have spoken to the team and asked them all to ensure they give the best possible reception to everyone. The reception desk is the first place you see, so that first impression is vital and if improvements are needed then they will be made.

Our bedrooms are old and in need of refurbishment. This has started, so as we work our way around the rooms our guests will see a dramatic improvement.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Came for our daughters birthday party on 23rd November 2013. Room was very clean and tidy. Fabulous big bathroom brilliant shower but only 2 hand towels. reception staff (older lady) was inefficient offhand and very unwelcoming. I handed my key in at the end of my stay and she did not look at me, thank me for staying or wish me a good journey home all of which are standard in most of the hotels I have stayed in. In contrast the bar staff (a young man) after hours were helpful friendly and interacted with us and made our nightcap very enjoyable. The breakfast was lovely, very tasty sausages and bacon and the rest was very good too. The staff were attentive and helpful and made us feel very welcome. We were a big party of 22 but no effort was made to arrange us together bedroom wise or in the restaurant for breakfast which was a shame. The hotel is perfect for town centre access and the parking is very good. I think it was overpriced but overall I would recommend it if you arn't too fussy about the slightly shabby bedrooms. I wasn't as I was asleep for 90% of the time I was in it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind review after your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food in the Restaurant and also found the Food & Beverage staff so friendly and helpful. I am sorry if you did not feel the receptionist was as friendly. I am sure she did not intend to give this impression as she is usually very welcoming.

Our bedrooms have one set of towels in the bathroom and a spare set in the wardrobe. Additional towels will always be provided on request. Simply contact Reception and let the staff know what you need.

With a group as large as yours it was sadly not possible to allocate rooms all together. Many of the bedrooms here are single rooms, which means that on a corridor of ten rooms, there may be only three doubles, three twins and the rest singles. As the majority of your group required double rooms, I had to spread them out a bit, but I did use as few corridors as possible so no-one was left a long way from the others.

I would always urge any guest to make the Hotel aware of any room requests in advance, so appropriate rooms can be allocated while they are still available.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on 26th October - biggest mistake ever! I picked the hotel because it was the only one I could find available for that night in the area at short notice. Having just returned from a trip to America I was extrememly jet laged and in need of a good nights sleep which is the most basic service a hotel should provide right?! WRONG! I could not sleep a wink in this hotel, I am not exagerating when I say the floorboards all around you creak like mad! So loud that it's impossible to sleep at all, I had a sleeping tablet with me which I took and even that didn't work!! It was all through the night 3am/4am/5am i'm not sure if the staff patrol at night but someone was walking up and down non stop and I can't imagine it was the guests at those hours! Not only that but our door didn't fit the frame properly so kept banging every time someone walked past! The room also was disgusting - dirty and too hot. The toilet had a yellow stain all over the seat and we had a dirty towell aswell. Also we ordered room service, the food was average, not too bad but my mine was really salty, however what was not acceptable was my dessert of profiteroles - they were stale!! Disgusting!!

I did complain on checking out but was told I needed to report it to the manger 'Dean Sims' so I tried to call him several times and as he would never answer the calls (I wonder why) I sent him an email. To which my response was just an apology and the explanation was that the hotel is old and they haven't refurbished it all yet?! Well then it should not be open for business!!!! Or you should offer full disclosure and state the floorboard problem on the website or on booking!! I was also told in my response that I should have asked to move rooms - what at 2/3am?!!! No thank you! Besides I can't imagine any other room would be any better as when you walk around the hotel the floor boards creak EVERYWHERE! Plus you shouldn't have to move rooms - every room should be acceptable for a paying guest to stay in!!! I was also told that it is because of these problems that the rate was low - LOW?!! I paid almost £80 for one night to stay in that dump!! That is expensive!! I have, in my response to that asked for a refund seeing as I didn't sleep a wink which is what I paid to stay there for and it totally ruined my whole weekend, I ended up with a migraine as a result and a nice 4 hour drive back home to Surrey on no sleep. But they have ignored my complaint and not got back to me so off to Trading Standards I go!! Joke of a hotel. I am not one to complain, having stayed in many hotels I have never ever complained but this was so bad I felt the need. P.s I just remembered also that when we left the next day we walked past an open cleaning storage cupboard and it was vile, dirty and black stains up the walls - that I believe is where they keep there sheets etc?!

Jodie

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Chesterfield Hotel.

The Hotel is over 135 years old in places, so the floorboards do creak. There are however some newer areas where they do not, so I would advise any guest who thinks this will disturb them to contact the Hotel direct to discuss the options available.

The Night staff carry out regular patrols to ensure the safety of our guests. While they try to be as quiet as possible, some noise is unfortunately inevitable.

I have asked the Maintenance Team to have the toilet seat in your room replaced.

The towels should not be dirty or stained in any way as these are delivered fresh from our laundry company. They are kept wrapped in plastic until they are delivered to the rooms, to avoid any possibility of contamination on route. If you have any concerns about the state of the linen provided, I would urge you to make these concerns know to the Reception staff immediately so fresh linen can be provided.

The cost of your room was £62.00. Our rates are at their highest on Saturdays, but are still reasonable given our town centre location, free car parking, free WiFi and free leisure facilities. There was a £10.00 supplement on the cost of your room as you had brought a dog. This is to cover the extra cleaning required following your departure.

I understand the General Manager, Dean Sims, has been in touch with you following your complaint. No complaint is ever ignored and is always responded too. All feedback, both positive and negative, is welcomed as it enables the management team to see what we are doing well and what needs improving.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Dirty - rooms had not been well cleaned, black mould round bath (Not a good sign). Carpets in room not hovered (all the skirting areas were thick with dust). Black marks of valance of bed (No idea what that could be). Odd red and white stains on the carpet (Don't want to know what they could be).

Tatty - All the carpets in the communal areas were held together with tape and were wearing thin. Of the several rooms that I saw all had issues (Wall lamps hanging off wall, toilet roll holder hanging off wall, toilet extractors not working).

Staff - Very nice and helpful but useless and didn't have a clue what they were doing. Hygiene was an issue at breakfast. Do you really want the lady who serves you food to keep putting her fingers in her mouth and then touching the food and plates? Oh yes the pool was closed. No one could say why and for how long.

Despite asking for a late check out we had cleaning staff barging into our room (We had also put a do not disturb sign on door, and had the TV on) while we were in the process of getting dressed. They had apparently not been informed by front desk and did not know we were still in the room. When we went to complain we were told that the only senior member of staff available was the day porter (Who was apologetic but again useless). The manager was apparently in Derby and not available. It has now been 5 days since we left and despite leaving all our contact details we have yet to have any contact or explanation from the manager. I think that sums up the hotel in one.

There is no use saying that the hotel is under new management and that there have been years of no investment. If this is the case then make sure your website and all literature says this and offer discounts. If it is under new management then surely you would want to deal with any complaints as soon as possible and with all care and attention that a new broom would want.

Room Tip: Try any other hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay in Room 227.

I understand that the issues you have raised have been passed on to the General Manager, Dean Sims and are being dealt with. Mr Sims was on annual leave at the time so was unable to speak to you personally, but our Operations Manager was here and spoke to you at length on two occasions.

The swimming pool unfortunately had to be closed due to a chlorine imbalance. The safety of our guests is of vital importance and the pool could not reopen until this had been rectified.

The Housekeeping and Food Service Teams have been fully briefed on your comments and are working hard to make improvements.
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just got back from this hotel and can only join in with most of the reviews regarding this. On the positive our room was warm, very warm in fact and the breakfast was good. We actually found most of the staff pleasant but there was an obvious lack of training with some, regarding customer care. We wanted soup and sandwiches when we arrived early afternoon and it took ages to find someone to take the order and then longer to receive the food. Initially, when we asked what the soup was, we thought he had had to go out to buy some, it took such a length of time for him to come back to tell us what it was. When it arrived we had to ask for knives, napkins and there were no condiments on the table. bit the food was acceptable. The wall paper in our room was peeling but the TV was out of the Ark and although there were more than one remote control, they did not work except we briefly got one channel and when we tried to change channels it went off and the reception was hopeless anyway. A member of staff did try to help but it still did not work properly. We intended to use the swimming pool, which looked nice, but was annoyed to find it was out of use in the afternoon with no idea when it would reopen and no one seemed to know why. We don't think the price was cheap, bearing in mind, the hotel advertises the use of the pool and even in a little B and B the least you expect is to be able to relax in your room and watch TV for a while.

At no stage did we see anyone who appeared to be a Manager in charge on the premises.

The reception desk was informed about the above and they said they would pass our comments on.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review, which I did find a little odd. We have no Basil Fawlty here (in fact you commented on not seeing a Manager at all) and none of our waiters are Spanish. There is no sea view (nor can you see herds of wildebeest crossing the Serengeti) and our Chef is an excellent cook. If this actually was Fawlty Towers, we’d be fully booked with tourists every night and would be charging considerably more than we do now.

However, I will do my best to reply to your comments.

On the whole you seem to have enjoyed your stay. You say that you found the staff pleasant and the food good, which I am pleased about. I am sorry you had to wait for your soup and sandwiches. We have no chefs on duty in the afternoon so we run a simple menu prepared by our food and beverage staff. I understand the staff member who served you was having difficulty locating the required food items. The Manager has now dealt with this issue with additional training and better labelling in the kitchen.

The bedrooms are awaiting a full refurbishment, when we will be completely redecorating and providing new furniture and televisions. I am pretty sure none of our televisions were on the Ark.

Our swimming pool developed a fault in the chlorine dosing system at the weekend. This was an unforeseen breakdown and meant the pool had to be immediately closed for the safety of our guests. Engineers are working hard to rectify this problem and the pool will re-open as soon as it is safe to do so.

Been to The Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!