“Better than expected.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Chesterfield
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
“Better than expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed at the Chesterfield hotel for 1 night on 28th Feb 2012. We specifically asked for a room on the lower floor as my wife was expecting and going into hospital the morning after to be induced. We had the 1st floor room 105 (adapted for disabled, had a walk in show which we were very pleased about. It was obviously a very grand hotel at one time. It still is but a little worn with age (Like me) We would definately stay again and recommend it :) thank you

Room Tip: Take a room at the front of the hotel (Room 105) excellent. The back of the hotel I should imagine a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you found your room to your liking, as this is one of our specially adapted rooms for people with less mobility.

Congratulations to you both and I hope everything went OK with the birth. Was it a boy or a girl? I was wondering if our first-aider would get to deliver a baby while you were with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

The wife and I stayed at the Chesterfield hotel for one night for our first wedding anniversary. We tried many hotel booking sites for the Derbyshire area and this hotel showed up a number of times with the best prices.

Good points: Brilliantly freindly staff, excellent bar and restaurant prices, great location, nice breakfast.

Bad points: The main one was the creaking floor boards. It sounded like there was an elephant patrolling the corridors at night, every 20 minutes it sounded like sombody was waliking past our door, a number of times, I thought sombody had come into our room. But after 2:30 am it died down.
40ml of shower gel and shampoo in a double room.
And aour toilet was slap bang in front of a window overlokking a street. Even though it was frosted glass, it still made for an uncomfortable toilet trip.

Overall: We will be visiting Derbyshire again and we will be staying at the hotel again. It is a nice hotel and the staff are a credit to the place. Ive stayed in much worse.

Room Tip: Take some ear plugs for the noise and a travel fan for the heat.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hotels in Chesterfield are very competitive and we are doing our best to show that you can have an enjoyable and comfortable stay without paying a fortune for it.

The hotel is an old building and some of the floorboards have been with us since the beginning, so they do creak a bit! We are working on padding some of them, to reduce the disturbance to guests.

Guest toiletries are provided free of charge and are replenished daily. Any guest requiring extra need only ask Reception and more will be provided.

The bathrooms windows all have window blinds provided. The management is currently checking that all blinds are present and in working order.
Horncastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed over after been to see Sid Laurance Big Band and the Winding Wheel. The room was on the second floor. The room was in need of a refurbish and the paint work was in placeds peeling. It was basic, no intructions for the Television, no biscuits with the tea.
the breakfast contenentail was the worse that we have been presented with. We had to ask for the Fruit bowls to be filled up. We asked for brown sugar for the coffee and we were given 6 small packets and then asked for more and we told that there was left in the hotel. Not Good.
The only good thing about this hotel is that it is central.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

The room you stayed in is one of the rooms scheduled for refurbishment, so some of the paintwork is a little old. The Hotel owners are aware of the problem, so until the refurbishment is completed we are keeping our room rates to a minimum, making the Chesterfield Hotel excellent value for money, especially considering our central location and free leisure facilities.

While we do provide tea and coffee making facilities in all rooms, we do not provide biscuits in order to keep room rates down as low as possible. We don't leave instructions for the television in the room, but if any guests have trouble working out how to turn it on, we would happily assist if asked. All our televisions are due to be replaced, and full instructions will be placed in the rooms with them.

I have spoken to the Chef regarding the breakfast buffet. On this occasion our fresh fruit selection on display ran out, but was replaced. We had run out of brown sugar, but we now have fresh supplies.
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have just stayed here for the first time, two nights. The staff are just brilliant and if I had my own hotel I would hire them! All of them will do anything for you as well as chat and enjoy a little banter making you feel really welcome throughout your stay. Even the singing to the radio provided by the chap serving breakfast brought a smile to my face.
Breakfast was good value with excellent portions and selection. My evening meal of steak with peppercorn sauce was cooked just as ordered and came with no fat on.
The downside to this hotel is that they need to seriously invest some money in their rooms for guests to stay in. When you leave the newly (?) refitted public areas you enter a different world of run down corridors and rooms. My door lock was hanging off, paint was missing on the grubby white gloss work all over the place, the carpets are threadbare, yes threadbare in many places including my room, and my TV was very old and was fixed twice whilst I was there in addition to been re-tuned by me twice in one night and then eventually been replaced with something just as old. It wouldn't take too much to improve these points and the place would be brilliant.
My bathroom was modern but poorly fitted and finished off which let it down. The bed was clean and comfortable. I had a great nights sleep both nights.
Location is great, a 5 minute easy walk into the town centre and they have plenty of parking. They also have a gym with pool but I didn't get to use these facilities.
A little investment in the bedrooms and this hotel could be difficult to beat for a stay in Chesterfield.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Thank you for your amazing review of our staff! If they were happy before, they are all over the moon about your kind comments (including the singing waiter!).

I am also delighted that you tried the hotel restaurant. We have a new Executive Chef, who is currently putting together exciting new menus for our guests to try. He has already made several changes and you are one of the first to try his handiwork.

You review of your room was fair - we know the rooms need work and the refurbishment is due to start any day now. In the meantime, the owners have agreed the purchase of new televisions for every room and the staff here are working hard to keep the rooms clean and comfortable for our guests.
Bletchley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel twice and would thoroughly recommend it. The first time we stayed was May 2011 and it was just the two of us. The second time we brought two more couples with us. The rooms were all massive and very well equipped. We were all on the second floor and the rooms were very hot, caused by boxed in hot water pipes in the corner of the rooms, However it did not spoil our stay. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and very satisfying. Everyone in our party said they would definitely return to the Hotel in the future. We could not believe the low price of the rooms, considering how very close to the town centre the hotel is. Like it so much i've just booked to come back again with two more different cou[;es in December

Room Tip: I guess try and book top floor because of squeaky floorboards, however this did not disturb us.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review! Your booking has been received for December and all the staff are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Chesterfield Hotel.
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

To set the scene, I needed to visit my parents in Chesterfield for one night.

I (or we, ie plus wife) have always stayed in either the Travel Lodge or the Travel (Premier) Inn. The former is cheaper but more tatty, the latter is a little better and has the pub attached but is more expensive.

This was a flying visit, just me. I looked at Travel Lodge. They wanted £49 (no breakfast of course). This time the proliferation of their adverts (stay with us from £19.95) got to me. In all my considerable years I have never got their £19.95 rate.

So I tried Xpedia, just for fun (my first time).

I was offered the Chesterfield Hotel for £35 for a single room inc Continental Breakfast. I read all the previous comments and decided to give it a go.

SO – now we turn to The Chesterfield.

I knew it was an old Hotel – I was schooled in Chesterfield in the steam train days.

Earlier comments have conveyed the impression of an old hotel being slowly modernised. I totally agree. Also the theme is of willing friendly staff, again I agree.

Now to my experience.

Car park is not big, and under the control of a parking enforcement lot. Free for residents but imperative that you remember and quote your reg number absolutely accurately to Reception.

Initial impression on entering is light and welcoming. Booking in swift and efficient. Lift old and small.

Raised the subject of floor squeaking – I sleep lightly – can you put me on top floor? Lady suggested top floor is least best (? I go, as my daughter would say). Appears genuinely helpful and suggests if I have a problem with the corridor, phone and she will move me. (Leaping ahead, I realise they must have had complaints about noise caused by people walking down corridors late at night. Whereas I think most comments here are about the room above.

Corridors warm, not musty as some old hotels, but a certain aroma, not unpleasant. Squeaky (more later).

Room was indeed a good old fashioned single. Furniture old fashioned, perhaps not that old. Bathroom had been recently completely refurbished – floor to ceiling tiles on all walls, new porcelain ware.

So I arrive and find I have no glass for water (but I have kettle etc to make tea). Also I find they do WiFi. But no contact info. So I go to phone Reception – no phone.

Walk down to reception, via bar to collect a glass. Lady assures me there should be a phone.

Retire to my room. Oh my yes – the floor boards do squeak.

Take stock. Bed feels OK, if firm (it was fine). Towels fully fledged. Toiletries and Tissues present. Hair Dryer. Ironing Board but no Iron. Holders for bags for sanitary towels but no bags. As before - Phone Book 1993 !

No ‘Hotel Info book’, ie the one that says ‘Breakfast is from..’, ‘Swimming Pool is open from…’

Bath water was hot and plentiful.

Breakfast – Continental was included in my modest rate. Nothing wrong with what was on display, and cheese and ham available on request for those of mainland Europe taste. Restaurant ambiance fine for breakfast.

So last note, returning to squeaks. This will be a tough one for the new owners to solve. If you are a light sleeper and the hotel is full, it could be a nightmare. I must have inflicted so much more than I suffered, as I am a fidget. Take earplugs if this is a potential problem.

So to dear ‘Ann the comment answerer’, if you are still there – for the Expedia price it was OK and I would come again as a singleton rather than do the Travel Lodge.

Tough things like squeaky floorboards are going to be most difficult. So I really suggest your current “Pursuit of Excellence” should concentrate on the very simple low cost issues as I mention above – no telephone, no water glass, no iron, 1993 phone book (take it away if you cannot do better), no sanitary towels bags and above all – an Info Book. Make all these tiny issues perfect every time in every room.

Last – I used a multi search engine engine to try to find ‘The Chesterfield Hotel’. I never did. You godda have a website, and one the Search engines find. Thus the only way that I found your Post Code and 01 telephone number was from the room keyfob.

Good luck

Room Tip: I do not know, but some rooms could overlook A61 bypass, and thus be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Heather D, Front Office Manager at The Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I am very grateful for the level of detail in your review and greatly commend the effort you have gone to in writing it.

The Hotel does have creaky floorboards in the bedrooms and corridors. This is because parts of the building are over 130 years old and naturally are a bit creaky! For any guest who is a light sleeper and believes they will be disturbed, we will happily change their room to a newer part of the building.

The items you mentioned - iron, glass and telephone, should all have been present in your room. They have been replaced following your comments. The Guest Information Books had to be removed from the rooms following the change of ownership, as they had the previous brand name on them. The Management is currently working on the new edition.
Hedon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed for one evening while visiting friends nearby. Staff very friendly & check in was quick. Our room 324 on the 2nd floor was fairly small & quite old fashioned. The bed was the hardest ive slept on so we didn’t have too great a nights sleep on it. It overlooked other rooms so no view to speak of. The temperature of the room was good not too hot or cold.
We had a drink in the small bar area & the prices were excellent they are the best I have come across for a hotel & again service very friendly.
We decided to have a full English breakfast next morning at a cost of £4.95, which is also an excellent price. Our chosen egg arrived fairly quickly but on going to the hot plates found no bacon, sausage or mushrooms. We spoke to the staff & waited but it was taking too long to arrive so the waitress took our food to keep hot while the other items arrived. The manager came to speak to us & offered his apologies & informed us that he had removed the charge for breakfast. This is very good customer service. The breakfast once it arrived was very very nice, well cooked & not at all greasy.
On check out the guest in front was complimenting the hotel on how nice their room was decorated & that her king size bed was very good so I did feel rather let down that there are nicer rooms in the hotel but we failed to get one. When we booked we could not find their website so booked through Travel Republic there wasn’t a multiple choice on the rooms only double/twin so we weren’t given the option of bed size.
Staff all around the hotel are very friendly, as was check out. I can honestly say that the staff here are a credit to the hotel.
We paid £55 including continental breakfast so not an unreasonable room rate but I would be interested to find out the tariff for the better rooms as we will be returning to the area in the next few months & we would certainly consider staying here again

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your review to the staff, who will be delighted with your opinion of their customer service.

The Chesterfield Hotel currently does not have its own website, so online bookings need to be made through the various third party websites, several of which feature the hotel. We do have rooms with king-sized beds, but because there are only a few, we are unable to offer these online. If a guest asks for a room with a larger bed, we would of course do our best to accommodate them.

The room you stayed in has been scheduled for refurbishment, so all the furnishings will be replaced in due course.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Chesterfield Hotel on your next visit.

Been to The Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!