“Wonderful Windmill with a few hospitality issues...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bradford Old Windmill

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bradford-on-Avon
Bradford Old Windmill
You added Bradford Old Windmill to your Saves list
4 Masons Lane, Bradford-on-Avon BA15 1QN, England   |
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Windmill with a few hospitality issues...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked the windmill because it was quirky and looked in an idyllic spot to explore the wonderful town and countryside around it. The windmill itself did not disappoint, it is a stunning building with beautiful views over Bradford. Bradford on Avon as a town is also wonderful with many lovely pubs and restaurants to eat in.
Our stay went really well for the first couple of days as we found the "house rules" like parking and use of jacuzzi bath quite acceptable. The only thing our room lacked was a shower - I don't believe this is detailed on the website. However, our last morning when I asked for a slight change to my breakfast things began to go wrong...I opted for the "Healthy Breakfast" which was 2 poached eggs on a muffin, having had this the last 2 mornings, I asked could I have a slice of bacon instead of one of the eggs as I felt I had eaten enough eggs...I was told "No - that's not the idea of the "Healthy Breakfast"". I felt this was a little over the top as I am the customer paying for the breakfast. I could have ordered the English breakfast and left half of it but I don't like to waste food so I just had some hard toast instead.
It was also raining this morning so I was glad we were leaving as it would have been hard to fill the day having to be out from 10am to 5pm.
We went to check out and I had prepared a cheque to pay the balance (I had paid the deposit by cheque) and was told that she wouldn't accept it and I would have to go and get cash out. So out we went into the rain to find a cash point. Luckily the cash-point still had cash available (on a bank holiday monday many cash machines would have run out).
I returned to the windmill - paid the bill and gladly left.
The windmill could be such a fantastic - top of the range B&B if the owners were a little more flexible - some rules are understandable but some just made you feel you were back at school and scared to ask for something in case it made problems. They need to remember who the customer is.

Room Tip: Great Spur Room has plenty of space with large round bed and sofa area. Quite dark room as expected...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Bradford is an interesting and lovely town. Very old and a little bit quirky. The Old Windmill reflects the uniqueness and charm of the town. The rooms are very different - in shape and decor to a normal B&B - but then who wants a normal B&B ? Priscilla is very accomodating if you remember that essentially you are staying in their home and show respect and patience because of that. Parking is just fine if you stick the marked bays - it's not that difficult. The rooms are full of the artefacts and trinkets that have been collected by the owners from around the world on their travels and each one has a story. the Fantail Suite is a delight and great for Mum and Dad with kids - sitting room off the bedroom for peace and quiet and a balcony bedroom for the children. And the food is fabulous. I felt that the B&B we had come from had lost the art of what they stood for - Bed and BREAKFAST and Priscilla really knows how to do breakfast - well beyond just Bacon and Egg...Home cooked bread, home made jam, home made granola....Get off the beaten track a little and stay somewhere different...

Room Tip: Splash out on the Fantail Suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sandbach, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you are after a normal bed and breakfast, walk away now. This is Distinctly Different from the outset. A quirky windmill, lovingly looked after. With three very different rooms, so do make sure that you choose the one that suits you best.

People talk about the parking. No problem. Just parked where we were asked to. Sure it's tight and some drivers might struggle, but take it slow and all is fine.

We were looked after from the moment of our arrival to the moment we left. Always friendly and never invasive. Nothing was too much trouble. You really do feel like you are staying in someone's home (well you are really). You can use the lounge if you want to, books and games, comfy sofa, tv, video, internet, wi-fi and a log fire.

Breakfast is so different. Everything is home cooked, none of the usual mass produced rubbish and again is that little bit different. Very tasty, well presented and filling (see photo for a sample menu)

It can be a bit of a steep walk back up from the town, so if you are unfit, maybe take the car.
The views make up for it though. Sadly we didn't have great weather, so didn't use the outside, but hey - welcome to England.

Altogether a great little find. Might be back again in another 15 years :-)

Room Tip: All depends on what you want. Waterbed, round bed or room with a lounge area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Twickenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a fabulous Bank holiday here with Priscilla and Peter, who were both very helpful and friendly.

On arrival we were told where we could park our (small) car, which makes sense as it is a nice and tranquil residential place, and we had no problems with this the whole time we were there.

We stayed three nights in the Great Spur room - the one with the round bed - and loved it! The bed was very comfortable - I struggled to get up! There was a great selection of books and some CDs too. The Tea and Coffee making facilities were better than those in some chain hotels I have stayed in - and this was topped off by a little jar of Easter Eggs!

The room also has a whicker swing chair suspended from the wooden beams, which I fell in love with and would love to have one in my house!

The bathroom was lovely, a big Jacuzzi bath for two which we made use of every night, ensuring to switch the noisy jets off by 10pm to avoid annooying other guests.

On arrival you are shown a guidebook with lots of information about the area, the mill, Priscilla and Peter themselves, and finally the guidelines for staying. These were written in such an amusing way, I was in hysterics reading through it! All the rules make sense, and if you have problems following them then I cannot see how!

The breakfast selection was amazing - a selection of cereal, fruit and yoghurt, followed by the 'main' course from a menu - which had a great choice for every one, I saw a gluten free menu, there are mostly veggie options but bacon and eggs is also on the list! This can also be followed by toast and preserves if wished. All this and tea, coffee and juice.
I can especially recommend the fresh squeezed orange juice accompanying the Healthy breakfast option.

We will definitely be visiting again, and hope to visit a lot more of the Distinctly Different properties on our travels!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I love this place. The windmill is perched above the town and there are few better views than the golden sandstone of the town, nestled into the valley. You would love it if you like to be in the centre of Bradford, great views,a home filled with esoteric and diverse materials and a wonderful range of organic cooked to order breakfasts. It probably isn't your thing if you are looking for a more anonymous modern hotel where you can come and go as you please. The parking is a bit of a hassle - the windmill is at the end of a shared laneway & you have to park exactly where you are asked to in order that others can squeeze past. The decor is quirky, but would benefit from an update - not much seems to have changed since it opened in the late 80s. The hostess Priscilla was unfailingly polite, friendly and helpful. As I said I love it to bits, but I can see how for many people it would be a reasonably expensive option with probably more than the usual number of rules about what you can and can't do.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Beautiful views conveniently sat within walking distance of Bradford on Avon. Very relaxing quirky B&B with a warm welcome from the hostess. Some of the other reviews are somewhat unfairly severe when you consider that this is someone's home. Would definitely recommend it for an easy going break away from city life.

• Stayed September 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Only stay here if you like to be told exactly how to park your car, exactly where to sit at breakfast, get kicked out in the daytime even if you're ill with food poisoning and like to listen to new age bird sounds whilst looking at toy birds in a cage over breakfast. Need I say more?

Room Tip: Round Bed doesn't look round but bathroom is nice
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
JaquelineWiltshire, Owner at Bradford Old Windmill, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
We are quite upset by all the negative comment about the parking difficulties here. We are simply trying to reduce the nuisance to our neighbours as much as we can and enable all our guests to park off the road in our drive. We try to make the difficulties clear on our web site and in our confirmation information so that those who dislike prescriptive parking or have large cars can choose to stay in a more spacious B&B.

I am surprised that Tripadvisor readers continue to stay here after reading all the comments about parking if they do not like to be directed.

Travelers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Been to Bradford Old Windmill? Share your experiences!