I booked the windmill because it was quirky and looked in an idyllic spot to explore the wonderful town and countryside around it. The windmill itself did not disappoint, it is a stunning building with beautiful views over Bradford. Bradford on Avon as a town is also wonderful with many lovely pubs and restaurants to eat in.
Our stay went really well for the first couple of days as we found the "house rules" like parking and use of jacuzzi bath quite acceptable. The only thing our room lacked was a shower - I don't believe this is detailed on the website. However, our last morning when I asked for a slight change to my breakfast things began to go wrong...I opted for the "Healthy Breakfast" which was 2 poached eggs on a muffin, having had this the last 2 mornings, I asked could I have a slice of bacon instead of one of the eggs as I felt I had eaten enough eggs...I was told "No - that's not the idea of the "Healthy Breakfast"". I felt this was a little over the top as I am the customer paying for the breakfast. I could have ordered the English breakfast and left half of it but I don't like to waste food so I just had some hard toast instead.
It was also raining this morning so I was glad we were leaving as it would have been hard to fill the day having to be out from 10am to 5pm.
We went to check out and I had prepared a cheque to pay the balance (I had paid the deposit by cheque) and was told that she wouldn't accept it and I would have to go and get cash out. So out we went into the rain to find a cash point. Luckily the cash-point still had cash available (on a bank holiday monday many cash machines would have run out).
I returned to the windmill - paid the bill and gladly left.
The windmill could be such a fantastic - top of the range B&B if the owners were a little more flexible - some rules are understandable but some just made you feel you were back at school and scared to ask for something in case it made problems. They need to remember who the customer is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Converted stone tower windmill with spectacular views over Bradford on Avon - a small B&B in a private home. Unusual shaped rooms, water bed, round bed & Gothic iron bed. Imaginative breakfast menu for adventurous eaters. Vegetarian ethnic feasts for dinner. Close to Bath, Longleat & Kennet & Avon Canal. Walkers, cyclists and small car owners especially welcome to save the world and keep grumpy owner happy! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Bradford Old Windmill Hotel Bradford-On-Avon
- Bradford Old Windmill On Avon
- Bradford Old Windmill Bradford-On-Avon, England