“Fun venue” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Fun venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just called in during a walk with the kids - they loved going onto the boat for a drink and we found the whole place fun. Staff we met were friendly and welcoming - I was carrying a balloon for one of the children and was greeted with a free drink because "it must be your birthday"! We didn't go for the cooked food but sandwiches and snacks were fine and the real ale was welcome. Excellent location by the canal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bath, United Kingdom
“must get their act together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a pleasant enough establishment and very popular but you cannot paint over the cracks forever by being quirky. Visited yesterday - food quite good but the coffee tasted like it had been brewed using the canal water - ghastly. As a tip - ask the staff just what you are going to get - for example I ordered an egg roll in a bap - I got two fried eggs on ciabatta!. On the plus side the menu s quite extensive and they do have an alcohol licence and serve real ale.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“It is, sadly, what it is. Quirky cafe but dreadful heart attack food..and I like a fry up as much as the next person!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was taken here by friends who like it for its quirkiness. Any fried food has its health problems but this is total heart attack material. Rather surprised my friends eat here as he has a pacemaker! You cannot fault question mark "value" for money, the portions are enormous, but the quality and volume is obscene. I only had cheesy chips, I ended up with a bowl FULL of chips with this gloop on top that looked like processed cheese at which an attempt, woefully, to melt it, had been made. It was truly noxious.
I like the venue, it's quirky, both inside the cafe and in the various sheds and on the boats, decked with bunting and such. I dont think I would bother trying it again even though, perhaps the sandwiches might be more appetising? Dont get me wrong, Ive been into plenty of roadside and transport cafes in my time....this was horrible food! Each to their own and all that.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“Never Disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I come here often with friends, my boyfriend and my family. Cheap prices, friendly service, great location. I seriously cannot fault the place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
“Typical tourist rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Took the grandson yesterday (Tuesday 20 August) I had a club sandwich he had the regulation burger and chips - the club sandwich was passable - just, it should have been a lot, lot, better for the price. I noticed grandson had taken one bite from the burger and promptly began feeding the ducks with the remainder - I was not a happy pops having just paid what I thought was over the top for a kids burger and chips but grandson usually devours his food, it was unusual for him to take just one mouthful - this caused me to take a slice myself - it was just disgraceful - undercooked burger, still frozen bun, cold cheese, chips straight from the microwave and cold, no onion, no tomato, nothing to pep it up. As usual wish I had kicked up a fuss but who needs the hassle? Just won't be returning - ever. Take my adviced don't be seduced by the position alongside the canal - there are plenty of much better cafes in the town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere