“Fantastically friendly staff, great food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Widbrook Grange

You added Widbrook Grange to your Saves list
Widbrook Grange
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Trowbridge Rd, Bradford-on-Avon BA15 1UH, England   |
“Fantastically friendly staff, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights in a four poster room. The duty manager, Anita, met us on arrival and was incredibly friendly to us throughout our stay and couldn't do more to help, bring drinks to our room, recommend local places to go and the best way of getting there. She was the best member of staff I've met in a hotel.
The room was lovely, though it wasn't 'modern' this isn't what we were looking for and was just what we wanted. The only let down was the temperature of the shower (room 3) was impossible to control.
Breakfast was good, plenty to choose from though I would prefer a more 'premium' sausage. Dinner was faultless though, offered a drink in the lounge while we ordered and then brought in to the dining room when the starters were ready. Food was delicious and menu extensive enough to suit everyone. I tend to find large menus mean a lack of quality but this wasn't the case here.
Very much look forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
uk-worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from a fabulous weekend away after staying here. We arrived on Saturday 28th July party of 11 of us for my dads 60th birthday weekend. My party of 4 includes my husband and 2 children. My brother his partner and 2 children. Mum,dad and sister. We stayed in the stables which they have converted we were in Oscar Wilde my brother Charles dickens. Excellent rooms as ground floor and close to the pool. The rooms were well equipt with plenty of huge fluffy white towels, a comfy double bed, flat screen tv, tea facilities and a clean bathroom. My parents were upstairs in the 4 poster bed and my sister enjoyed the peace in a single room. I couldn't fault the room, decor, service - infact the place was just perfect. The grounds of the hotel are huge and if your a big party I would suggest taking a rounders or a cricket set. The owners have 2 lovely dogs which my girls just loved and we even took them for a walk over the fields. Meal times were great as had ur own private room so didn't worry about disturbing the other guests with our 7,6,4 & 1 year old. The food is delicious everything from duck, steak, salmon, they really cater for everybody. The staff are friendly and helpful and we didn't need to feel that we had to be on our best behaviour. This place really is a little gem and my 7 year old wants to come back for her 8th birthday! Kids made use of the lovely warm pool which both days we had to ourselves which was probably great considering the screams of laughter coming from there. Mondday 30th we went to longest which the hotel organised for us at a heavily discounted price! Great weekend of family fun thank you so much!! From the Tilley party

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WidbrookGrange, Owner at Widbrook Grange, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear all members of the Tilley party

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful report. It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you and we are very glad that you had a fabulous weekend with us. Your compliments have been passed on to our hardworking staff who I know will really appreciate your recognition of the great service that they deliver.

I know that our fostered foxhounds Sunbeam and Breezy enjoyed their walk with your children and it's good to know that you had such an enjoyable time at Longleat. We have enjoyed a special relationship with Longleat Safari Park for many years now and are able to offer all our guests great discounts off Longleat entrance tickets.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Widbrook and hope that it is to celebrate your daughters 8th birthday.

Peter
Owner
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

What can i say? Excellent! Accomodation great! location great for exploring the local area, and within easy distance of Bath.
we arrived to a very personal welcome. were shown around and offered great hospitality!
they had arranged a seperate room for our eveing celebration so were able to put up decorations and fully enjoy the evening without disturbing any other guests.
Food was from an amzing menu from Venison, Steak, Duck, salmon to mixed seafood platers. all indiviually cooked and served to a high standard! Service was fabulous. there when we needed them but not intrusive! To top it off lovely secluded gardens and a lovely indooor heated pool to chill out. Even a small gym if you felt so inclined. I would recommend it 100%

Room Tip: Be young or old you will enjoy this place for lovely surrounding. Aks for a four posted bedroom! the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here on business and was told they only had a single room rather than a double, however that didn't concern me as I was travelling alone anyway. However, when I checked in I was told that I had been allocated a different room and he said "You might not get what you expect" or something along those lines. He was not wrong!! I was allocated a Family Room which could have slept 5 easily, and it was called 'Robert Burns'. I was really impressed. It was more of a little 'cottage' than your standard hotel room, and I could even park my car right outside!! They also had wireless internet which was great.

As I didn't arrive until almost 9pm I thought that getting something to eat may have been a problem. I didn't need to worry. They offered to cook something and bring it to my 'cottage', however I decided to eat in the restaurant, and I'm glad I did as the service was as excellent as the food. The breakfast next morning was equally as good.

Oh, forgot to mention, as I arrived a bunch of people were sat on the extensive lawns (the gardens are lovely) and someone was playing an acoustic guitar. It was nice to be greeted by live music, as at first I thought it was someone's car radio!!!

All in all I had no complaints and I would not hesitate to stay there again, in fact, I'm hoping to stay there in a couple of weeks when I am in that area again on business!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Holt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Excellent place to stay, eat, exercise, swim and have a family party, and in a lovely setting.

Staff very obliging, nothing too much trouble and rooms reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

After staying at the hotel, several comments were made regarding the standard of the room, the quality and content of the breakfast as well as being made to feel we were in the way for dinner.
A party was booked in (not that we were told) and we had to eat at 6.00pm on our own!
It is also the first time i have stayed in a hotel where everything had an additional price.......even a morning paper has 25% added on!!
When i complained about the cost and value of the one night stay i was a few odd mishaps happen, never mind.
From, measly T&C allowance (only one biscuit) broken fan in toilet, soft matress, broken bath panel and children allowed to run up and down stairs all evening a simple selection for breakfast, greasy fried bread, bready sausages and cold toast........ enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Widbrook Grange, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
I would like to thank this gentleman for posting a review on this site and TripAdvisor for the opportunity to respond as the livelihood of all our hard working staff depends on our ongoing good reputation.

We had a conversation with this gentleman when he checked out and tried very hard to be understanding but at the same time being fair to us both, we have corresponded with him on a number of occasions since. We very rarely get complaints and take them very seriously and we are always looking for ways in which we can improve our service.

We felt that that we had delivered to this gentleman and his wife the high standard of service and the excellent value that we try very hard to deliver to all our guests. We thought that the comments he made to us were more of an expression of personal likes and dislikes, of which of course he is absolutely entitled, but that this did not justify his expectation of us discounting his bill.

As this gentleman has chosen to follow up our discussions by commenting on this site I would, in our defense, like address each of his points as follows:-

These guests booked on the basis of bed and breakfast only. The hotel was full on the night in question and so was the restaurant. Our table times are reserved in line with our guests requirements, on a first come first served basis bookings being made for guests who are on our dinner, bed and breakfast tariff and for our bed and breakfast guests who have either called us to say that they require a table for dinner or who reserved a table when booking the hotel.

As we don't want to disappoint any of our guests we also try to contact those guests who have booked bed and breakfast only and not a table for dinner, just in case they want one. On this occasion we contacted these guests and said that due to the restaurant being extremely busy with tables booked from 6.30pm should they like to dine with us we could offer them a table at the start of service i.e. 6pm to sit down at about 6.20pm, They said that they were happy with this timing and I understand that they enjoyed their meal..

As I explained to this gentleman the fact that there were no other guests in the restaurant when they dined was completely out of our control. We expected a large family group to come into the restaurant at 6.30pm to sit down to dine at 7pm and before the meal they were also having hot canopies. Unfortunately they were delayed in arriving at the hotel which made them late coming into the restaurant

The gentleman states that "everything had an additional price" He does not give examples and so we are unaware of what he is referring to. I can say however that there is nothing in the hotel that carries an additional price over and above what our guests are expecting. He does refer to the cost of newspapers; all we do is pass on at cost the charge that the newspaper shop charge us for delivery. I noticed that our guest did not order a paper and therefore perhaps enjoyed reading the complimentary one or the magazines provided in our lounges.

In each room we provide complimentary WIFI usage, and tea, coffee and chocolate, enough for two cups per person, plus a packet of biscuits, not one biscuit as referred to in the above review. This gentleman did not think that we supplied enough complimentary items and we did say to him that, had he told us that he required more we would have been only too happy to supply them.

The fan in the toilet was not broken but rather a fan blade was catching, this was rectified in a matter of minutes, the bath side had screw loose and again rectified very quickly. The mattress on the bed in the room in question is the same as in all our other rooms. These mattresses come from a well known manufacturer and are made to a specification required for hotels. By using this specification of mattresses we are able to please most of our guests and we do have guests who stay with us on a regular basis and who request the room mentioned in this gentleman's review. They enjoy what they consider to be a comfortable bed but it is also worth mentioning that if we have a guest who has a particular requirement e.g. a mattress designed to support a back injury, and we are informed of this need, we happy to get in a special mattress to suit.

We are a family friendly hotel and therefore welcome children. We try to make sure that children are not annoying other guests but at the same time try not to make them or their parents feel restricted. We were unaware that these children were noisy or annoying these guests, had they have told us we could have done something about it. We certainly did not have any complaints from any of the other guests and the children went to bed before 9pm.

Our breakfast selection includes;- a choice of 6 fruit juices, 5 cereals, 4 yoghurts, fresh fruits, 12 different mueslis, eggs cooked in four different ways, bacon, pork and vegetarian sausages (supplied by Bartlett’s of Bath and extremely well respected local butcher), tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, fried bread (fried in the traditional way in the bacon and sausage fat for taste), grilled kippers, smoked salmon, cold meats, cheeses and brown and white toast with gluten free options and of course an unlimited supply of tea and coffee.

We think that this is a good breakfast selection and have been awarded an AA Rosette each year for the last 9 years for the excellent quality of our food. In many of the reviews about our hotel our food is particularly singled out for praise and as we are regularly inspected we would not retain our Rosette award if our standards dropped.

This gentleman invites the readers of his review to enjoy their stay at our hotel, perhaps he did not mean it but I can assure those reading this reply that all of us at Widbrook Grange try very hard to make sure that all our guests do indeed have an enjoyable stay. The many reviews that proceed this one tell you what most guests think about us. Our guests have rated us on this website as the number one hotel in the area and we were delighted recently to be awarded the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2012.

Peter Wragg
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Thank you for our lovely stay, very welcoming staff,v accommodating. Beautiful grounds and nice swimming pool. The breakfast was also v good. Very easy and friendly place. Lots of parking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Widbrook Grange? Share your experiences!