“Fantastic food and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cross Guns

The Cross Guns
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bradford-on-Avon
The Cross Guns
You added The Cross Guns to your Saves list
Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon BA15 2HB, England   |
“Fantastic food and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We found the pub when walking to the aqueduct on the Kennet canal from Bradford on Avon.its in a prime location very picturesque even in these winter months.we were drawn to the menu and hot spiced cider!!
Service and welcome was so nice and very homely in there near the fireplace.
The home made food is wonderful best ever steak and sale pie and fish pie the portions are huge, washed down with the very warming cider.
I rang back as I forgot my scarf and nothing is too much trouble for them.
We will definitely be going again, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dover
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I do not recommend that anyone visits this establishment. We were looking forward to lunch after walking along the canal from Bradford-on-Avon. The pub appears to tick the boxes as you approach and the location is great, however the staff are rude and the service is appalling. I can only assume that as they have a captive market they cannot be bothered to give either good service or quality food. The garden is tiered and there are steep steps leading you down to the river edge. All very pretty. You place the order for you food and are given a number. When your order is ready a staff member hollers down the tiered levels that your number order is ready for collection. Hardly a tranquil, relaxing experience. You are then expected to collect your food from the kitchen. We requested that the baguette be cut in half and as the staff member took it back in to the kitchen, the charming chef was heard to say "what the f**k is wrong with that?." It was my son who heard this not me. The food was poor, the beer was not drinkable and we ladies in the party queued 20 minutes to use the outside toilet. The experience rather ruined an otherwise idyllic day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Fab location tucked away at bottom of hill great tiered garden , place food orders at bar then have to go and collect your own food from kitchen door! When your number has been shouted out! When you get your food its below average shame as locstion brilliant.

• Stayed September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Scenery is lovely. Food wasn't great. The service if you sat outside is non existant.There are lots of steps to get down to the seating nearest the river so if you order food they holler your number out and you have to walk up all the steps and back down. Most people cannot carry 3 plates either so bit of a mission impossible for 2 elderly women when we were there. obviously we offered assistance as i couldnt let them do that in case they fell down the stairs. I would suggest giving your waiting staff a tray load it up for the customer and actually make them do some work for their pay as they didnt appear to do sweet f a. I would just say a little more service would go a long way!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband decided to take me here, whilst having a drive round Bath,his last visit being 30years ago, first impressions when arriving in the car was very good, the scenery is amazing and what a fabulous location. A gorgeous tranquil place. It was a beautiful Saturday evening and to our surprise it wasn't busy at all. We were greeted pretty much as soon as we entered the pub and shown to a table by the kitchen door, we asked to be moved which wasn't a problem. My husband informed me that it hadnt changed a bit in 30 years. Our food arrived quickly and presented well. Ok we had ham egg and chips but the ham was thickly cut and delicious, we thoroughly enjoyed it and the waitress was friendly and polite. I did notice that it could do with a good clean but it adds character to the place. I didnt use the toilet facilities as my husband had said they were awful 30 years ago, and going by some if the comments on here they haven't changed much. Overall I really enjoyed it and plan on going back by train as it is a bit of a narrow road to get there

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have been here many times over the last few years. The first thing that grabs you is the scenery - on a nice day it's incredibly beautiful.

However - do not use the toilets because they are an absolute disgrace. They belong in a third world country. And do not order food, no matter how hungry you are. The food we had was appalling, I wouldn't even offer it to the ducks.

Service was great and so was the beer (box steam brewery) so will come back again. A lovely spot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have stayed here on a number of occasions, arriving either by narrow boat or car. I absolutely love the location of the place. I have used it as, 1- a pub. 2 - a restaurant, 3 - a b & b. I cannot fault it on any of these categories. I agree the pub gets busy. The toilet facilities are primitive, but the place has too much charm to be negative about it. To be honest I cannot understand some of the previous reviewers.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cross Guns? Share your experiences!