“Restaurant visit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Downshire Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banbridge
Downshire Arms Hotel
You added Downshire Arms Hotel to your Saves list
95 Newry Street, Banbridge BT32 3EF, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Banbridge
Belfast
“Restaurant visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We only went to the restaurant and did not stay in the hotel. Physical environment a bit dark and not to my taste, old fashioned, panelled walls ornaments etc and I did smell a slight musty smell! The menu was varied and also included some specials. I felt the menu was over priced with a salad being nearly £10 consisting only of leaves a few pieces of chicken approx 3 cherry tomatoes and a little mango, no carbohydrate in sight! The kids meal was substantial, far too much for a 2 year old and priced a little too high for one course at £5.50, however I was grateful my two year old didn't eat all hers as i was still hungry and it filled the hole nicely! On a positive note the food was, despite not very exciting, palatable and the waitress was very accommodating. We wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Having been a customer of the Downshire Arms Hotel for some years, I took some friends from England, Australia and Poland there in March to experience a 'proper' St Patrick's night.

We booked into the hotel and chose to have a meal in the restaurant before enjoying the evening's festivities. After receiving a very warm welcome from the receptionist, we dropped our bags in our rooms which we found to be large, warm and finished to a high standard.

Dinner was superb, with a excellent choice of menu, and we struggled to finish our meal due to the size of our portions. The service was second to none and my friends were really impressed with the entire dining experience.

Following that, we headed to the bar, where a couple of bands played throughout the evening. The atmosphere was fantastic, the staff and all the other customers were in great form and my friends all had a night to remember (or not!).

The recovery breakfast the following morning was just what we needed - it was hot, tasty and there was lots of it, and it set us up perfectly for the rest of the day.

Overall, my friends and I enjoyed a great St Patrick's night. It's been a topic of conversation with our other friends where we live in Scotland and they're looking forward to visiting again later in the year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We only went to the restaurant, so can't talk about the hotel!

Was in for a meal for my mothers birthday on Saturday night, so I didn't want to complain there and then and have my whole family call me "that guy". We came on a recommendation from my sister, who had enjoyed a good meal the week before.

The service was decent, no complaints there, the atmosphere was good also, nice decor. The food however, can only be described as horrible. I ordered tiger prawns in tempura batter, and I'm not exaggerating when I say they tasted like they came from Iceland. Small portion, bland, and with the thickest, mushiest "tempura batter" I've ever came across. I then ordered the 16oz Sirloin, cooked rare for my main. The steak I received was no larger than 10oz, around 1cm thick, and gray the entire way through, except for a little tiny attempt of dry, slightly pinker "meat" in the middle. As I say, I was there for my mothers birthday so I wasn't going to say anything and ruin her evening, but please don't charge over £20 for a "16oz" steak which gets cremated no matter how its asked to be cooked. The chips that came along with the steak were also still hard in the middle. My brother-in-law got lattice fries though, they were nice! However, after paying around £300 for 6 people to eat, we'd expect a little more than lattice fries to be nice.

Really, really expensive, for what is unfortunately bad food :(

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I ate in the restaurant on Saturday night (Mar 2013) at short notice. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and efficient. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and even though I arrived late I was made to feel that nothing was a problem.
The menu is great and the only difficulty was in deciding what to choose. I opted for Floyd's Australian Chicken which came with a garlic sauce but my friend wanted a pepper sauce and that was no problem. It was very tasty and the chicken was juicy and succulent. The wine was excellent and overall it was a lovely evening at a very reasonable price. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Had some good meals here in the past but our last visit was a disappointment. It was in January so maybe they were on a wind-down after the Christmas rush but the service was a let-down. Spent ages waiting for a table although there was only one other table occupied, when we eventually got seated my girlfriend ordered a fish dish. It arrived overcooked but she didnt get the chance to send it back as the waiting staff didnt come near us until i had finished my food, by which time it was too late, so she ended up sending it back uneaten.
On the plus side the manager was very apologetic and took the fish dish off the bill

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oswestry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My first stay at the Downshire was in March 2008 when I returned to my home town of Banbridge for the first time in 40 years. I loved it then, and I loved it when I came back again for a 4-night stay in March 2013. From the moment you enter, you feel welcome and warm - the staff can't do enough for you! The rooms are beautifully refurbished and comfortable. The restaurant is first class in decor and cuisine, with friendly staff and a particularly gorgeous cod and prawn thermidor (order it or live in regret forever!) Breakfast is included in your very reasonable room tariff, and if you love Black Pudding, then pair it with some fluffy scrambled eggs and your day is off to a great start! Friday and Saturday nights are lively, with live bands and great craic - just the way the Irish know how to do it. If you're in the area, or travelling through, The Downshire is like home away from home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

On 29 January 2013 our wedding reception was held at The Downshire Arms Hotel . We were looking for a warm, comfortable and homely venue for our Big day . Lee-Anne from the Hotel who planned and organized this day did a fantastic job and everything ran smoothly from the table layout , selection of meals and a relaxed and comfortable venue to entertain family and friends . We selected sirloin steak froma choice of meals which was cooked to perfection and even now family members are still talking about the marvellous meals that they had . The evening function in the Cellar bar ran into the following day and again guests marvelled at the wonderful buffet while we were entertained by DJ Steve who compIled a CD of our chosen music as a momento of Our day .
We would again like to thank Lee-Anne and all the staff at the Downshire for going that extra mile to make our wedding special and we would recommend anyone planning a small wedding reception to look at the Downshire as a venue .
Thanks again
Guy and Linda

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Downshire Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!