“Surfing town bed and breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast
17 Kerr Street, Portrush BT56 8DG, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #13 of 27 Portrush B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Surfing town bed and breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Portrush is a small close-packed surfing town on a peninsula on Ireland's north coast. The narrow streets and small shops slope down both sides of the peninsula to an East Beach and a West Beach.

We dragged our luggage a few short blocks from the train station, along the west waterfront road, to Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast. It's a three-storey townhouse in a row of three-storeys looking out over the harbor.

When we arrived Sam, our hostess, was standing on the front steps chatting with someone. She directed us inside to her husband, Tim. In the small entry hall we rang the bell at the flip-up counter. Tim emerged from the back and checked us in. He led us up a flight and a half of stairs to our room, carrying one of our bags.

Our room was small but comfortable and cheerful. There was a loveseat, a wardrobe, a dresser, and the bed. The bathroom was also small, but clean and bright. There was a shower but no tub.

Out the window was an unattractive space between buildings.

It's a short walk from the B&B to any place in town.

As we went out, Sam stopped us on the step to talk about the local attractions. She gave us directions to Troggs, the surf shop, and to the Harbour Bar.

At Troggs I rented a wetsuit and got advice on where to swim. The clerk said the water temperature in the harbor would be about 58 degrees. He advised me to swim at West Beach. Surfing lessons were available, but I didn't have time for it.

The Harbour Bar turned out to be a very small tap room with a dozen people looking up at the television while the barman served beer. The barman said he knew how to pour a black and tan, but he actually didn't.

We drank our beer outside; on the benches against the wall; looking at the beach, the harbor, and the town; and talking with other travelers.

The barman was Willie, an entertaining purveyor of lore and tall tales. We had heard of him even on the train from Belfast, and he was full of advice for us, especially urging us to take a table in the restaurant behind the bar.

In the restaurant, the roast duckling looked more like half a large duck, and it was crispy and good.

After supper we walked along East Beach, while the sky flamed and faded.

The next morning I went down to the West Beach, where I pulled on the wetsuit and splashed into the surf. The beautiful clear water was cold enough to take my breath away, but after a while I regained my breath and slid through the waves.

Later in the morning we took the tour bus to the Bushmillls Distillery. From Bushmills we walked to the Giants Causeway, an awesome geologic formation on the coast. From there, we took the bus back into Portrush.

After supper, back at the B&B, we had a nightcap and a chat with Sam. The next morning Tim rose early to make sure we had breakfast before we set out to catch a 7 am train.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in front with a view of the bay.

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We, two couples, stayed at Harbor Heights in the off season, late October, and had a very comfortable and relaxed visit here. The hosts, Tim and Samantha, were great, and Tim made us a good breakfast and guided us to the best restaurant in town. We had the rooms facing the sea, and our views were worth the extra sterling. The hotel was quiet and clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just a quick review for Tim and Sam at Harbour Heights B & B. Nice clean accom, great breakfast and magnificent hosts. I stayed for a week and the only thing that I can complain about is that Tim is a far better photographer than I. If you are there for a few days get him to do a family portrait in his studio or have him take you on a photo tour of all the local attractions, well worth the effort and money. Highly recommended in all seasons.

Room Tip: Front of house overlooking the harbor and book early.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I had a one night stay at the harbour Heights B&B. The hosts Sam and Tim are fantastic, making us feel right at home. The location is exceptional; our room overlooked the beautiful harbor.

While our room was clean, I was disappointed in my bed. My pillows were paper thin and mattress soft. Bath towels were sparse. There were no bath amenities so make sure you bring your own soap and shampoo.

Room Tip: Don't miss the Harbor Bar, located down the street. Locals are very nice. Nice fireplace.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Tim and Sam are very welcoming hosts – glad that we stayed there..! Was suggested where to go and what to see – especially the most picturesque view points. The small town itself is a beauty with Harbour Heights facing the small harbour. Views are stunning and good restaurants around. All major sightseeing locations are nearby. Breakfast was fantastic...!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place is lovely! It's right on the beach, the hosts are super friendly and give great advice about local attractions and where to eat out in the evenings. Room was a little small but clean and comfortable - I'd definitely recommend it! :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I rang Harbour Heights last week for a room during the Portrush Airshow but unfortunately they were fully booked. The lady on the phone introduced herself as Sam and she took my number incase there was a cancellation. In the early afternoon of the Air show I had a phone call from Sam to say a room had become free. Very reasonable rates, especially for such a busy weekend in Portrush so I accepted. I went to check in after the show was over and a guy opened the door and welcomed me by name!! This was Tim, Sams husband. My plan was to drop our stuff off and go and collect my husband from the pub, but once introduced to Sam it was just like meeting an old friend who I had not seen in a while so I wasn't in and out as quick as I intended. She made me feel so welcome. She gave me breakfast menus to fill out for the next morning and after showing me to our room she was more than helpful in recommending places to eat. The accommodation is right in the middle of the town so we didn't have to travel to far! I finally found my husband and after returning from our meal we must have spent around 90mins just chatting with Sam and Tim and playing with their adorable kitten.

Our room unfortunately wasn't facing the sea, but as it was a cancellation we got I cant complain about that at all, If you can though, when booking request a sea view as it would be stunning. Our room was suited for stay and the en suit was massive, with a good flow of hot water. There were plug sockets beside each side of the bed (this is a personal gripe with me in some places as I sleep with my phone beside me, so to have this, for me was great!) There was the usual kettle with tea and coffee and also hot chocolate. The only small problem for me was that although the bed was so comfortable, at home we are used to a king size and I tend to sprawl out, so we found the bed a little small. I cant comment on any of the beds in the other rooms as I didn't see them. The room was quiet and although the B&B was full, the thick carpets through out meant we didn't even hear the other guests.

As breakfast is pre ordered the night before it was a very pleasant experience. There was cereal, coffee, fruit juices and a toaster so you just help yourself and then a delicious cooked breakfast is brought out. Im not sure of the name of the lady who was in the breakfast room but she was very efficient and polite. I think Sam was cooking, and Tim chatted to the guests giving that personal touch. By the time we checked out Sam and I had added each other to Facebook, and I do hope to keep in touch. Such a warm, friendly lady with a sense of humor to match my own. I didn't want to check out!!

The only time I would stay overnight in Portrush is for the annual air show and next time I will be making sure I book well in advance at Harbour Heights so I am guaranteed a room. I would not even consider staying anywhere else after finding this gem. I cant recommend the accommodation and its hosts highly enough. Its simply perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as it will be beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!