“The best part is the view” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakdene

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portrush
The Oakdene
You added The Oakdene to your Saves list
6 Lansdowne Crescent, Portrush BT56 8AY, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Portrush
Melbourne, Australia
“The best part is the view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room was very, very small, the ensuite was tiny, double beds average, pillows were flat and we wondered how old they were, not even a small soap to wash your hands after using the toilet.
The Managers of Oakdene were lovely and very helpful and the breakfast was great. The owner needs to spend some money on the place. The smell when you walk in was terrible but it was not in our room, it was like the smell of smoke in the carpet but we did not see people smoking.
The saving grace was the lounge room which had amazing views and we loved being in there. So if you are not to fussy and you would be happy with a great location and a fab view then stay there, the managers will look after you well.

Room Tip: Second floor at the front is a bedroom next to a great big lounge room with a fab view. Just use th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
fareham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

oakdene is set in a good position easy walk into the town and the wonderful attraction of good old Barrys amusement.The place is very tired, deco poor could do with a good uplift.however friendly staff very willing to please.The bedroom we had had a lovely view bed nice and comfortable the place is nice and clean.Thankyou Dave and Kerry
Isabel Fitzgerald
Kettering
Northants

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
portadown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Awesome rooms, awesome breakfast, awesome people.......had a lethal time staying here....owers and staff were very friendly and very helpful...would highly recommend....ive even booked it for another 2 stays......unreal....

• Stayed May 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed there two nights, is very basic but has everything you need for the price. Very clean and very friendly staff, I had the best breakfast ever and the views are stunning. Would stay again. My advice is if you want the ritz tho do not book here, just take it for what it is a lovely victorian house in a bit of need of some tlc.

Room Tip: Book the room at the top ( sleeps 3) for amazing views!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed in the Oakdean Guest house on sat 1st september. We had a triple room, which was a double room and the room next door which had a double bed and a single bed and we were very pleased with the room, it was small but very comfortable and clean. The staff were very friendly and answered any questions we had. They have a beautiful sitting room, overlooking the sea, with sky TV, and the kids enjoyed this. The views are stunning and it is right in the centre of the town, so we did not have far to walk to the beach or to the shops. I would love to visit again as we had a wonderful time. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Oakdene had a good breakfast and friendly staff and was well located. It was easy to park nearby. Our bedroom was supposed to be for two people but there was just room for a tiny double bed between the wall and the door. No room for a bedside table. There was a light above the headboard but it did not work. On both days there was only one bathtowel and a hand towel which confused me as we booked and paid for two people. The hotel and room seemed in poor decorative order but the bed was clean and comfortable. The room was very dirty around the window and needed cleaned at the top of the shaver light and wardrobe. It was very difficult to lock the door to the room. The door was very squeaky and we had to use it in the night to visit the toilet, bulbs were not working in the reading light and the lampshade was in tatters. We managed ok and it was only two nights. Seemed overpriced at £60 for a double in this condition. Friendly staff. I felt too embarrassed to say anything as there must not be any money available to spend on the place. Apparently the shower was leaking. I tried the bath one day which was fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I decided to take my sister and nephew here lastminute as they needed a break. I only picked here as I had trouble finding accomodation for 2adults and 1child so close to the date we decided to go.
Anyways I prefer to start with the bad things everywhere I go because that is what most people are interested in.
Our room was right at the top of the guest house (4 floors up) which when your travelling with children and carrying a real heavy bag isn't great. There was a musty smell in the bathroom, must have been flooding at some stage previously, shower hose must have had a leak and been repaired with black tape, enamel on bath could have done with a go over, also when you turned the water temp up in the shower the pressure dropped alot. The tv was tiny and in the evening when we watched it, we had 2 watchable channels, I decided to fiddle with the aerial at the back and managed to get 2 more. There was no phone in the rooms and with us being at the top it was a bit of a hassle running up and down those stairs. I was looking for a spare plug socket to charge my phone and looked down behind the headboards and noted that when the room was re-painted they hadn't bothered pulling the bed out and had painted around them. The windows in the room would not open, they had been sealed shut, maybe for security reasons. No lock on the bathroom door, and the bedroom door seemed really flimsy, so didn't seem too secure. The staff (think I seen 3 in total)seemed to not wear uniforms or dress professionally, some wore hooded jackets, one was wearing denim shorts with tights. On check in, no I'd or registration card to be completed. I was asked to fill in my name, adress, contact number and arrival date in on some sign in sheet, this contained details of people who had signed in before me!
Anyway, on to the good. Location was excellent, 10minute walk from the train station. The view was stunning from the guesthouse and from our room, as we did have a room to the front. Staff were very courteous and showed us to our room when we had checked in. The room was clean (except a bit of plastic the was down beside the bedside locker). They had created a seating area as such by the window with a rocking chair and small coffee table, it was nice sitting there looking at the view. - had previously mentioned about the tv, however there was a lounge room on the 2nd or 3rd floor that had a 50' tv and Sky so if you really could not live without certain tv channels you could take a walk down to there. Breakfast in the morning was nice, although we did not eat much. You could help yourself to cereal, fruit and yoghurts, everything else was brought out to you. As we were overlooking the water we were able to bring my nephew down to the rocky beach so he could try and catch fish with his net. The area where the guest house is located is very quiet and relaxing.
The exterior of the place and public areas were very well kept which was a bonus as some other guest houses near by looked a bit run down. Overall there was a very homly feel about it and depsite the negative points I would definitely stay again.
P.s. While we were walking down to the amusements located beside the train station we stopped at Mr. Chips Diner (think that's the proper name), they are stingy with portions, service is very slow and the staff don't seem too sharp, when my sister asked for a sausage, that was litey all she got, in my experience in other chippys we have been too you always get a couple of chips with it. Don't go here, there are loads of other places near by.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Oakdene? Share your experiences!