“great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 27 Portrush B&B and Inns
belfast
“great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

stayed with friends for 3 nites , found the bed an breakfast fine great location as we travel by train , near the beech and very good for travel to tourish locations , we found the the room clean the with tv an tea and coffee, service was fine no problems check in or out the lady was pleasant and very helpfull with tips on where to eat and go
i find it hard to beleive some of the other review as our stay was pleasant and would saty again

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Stayed for a few days over the weekend and found it to be fairly reasonable for the price, wasn’t expecting a hotel but the room was clean, no spectacular view but I wasn’t going to spend my day looking out of a window. Room had a shower, firm bed, TV and kettle for tea. Breakfast was the standard cereal, fry-up with tea and toast. – did the job. No problems with the owner (as long as she got her keys back. All in all pretty decent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

My comments mirror those of "tiredandgrumply" down to the ugly (smelly) brown shag carpet and tiny, tattered towels hung in the shower. I wish that I had only read these reviews before stumbling upon this place. To the comments previously shared, I feel compelled to add the following -- the beds are lumpy and matted, rooms are dingy and poorly insulated, and everything is permeated with an old, tired smell. I don't know how else to describe it. We tossed and turned all night on the lumpy mattresses that were fitted with the world's smallest sheets, forcing us to cuddle up in blankets that had not been washed in I don't know how long.

The "host" was a pretty mean-spirited lady, requesting full payment in advance -- this is VERY unusual in Ireland. Given that we were in N. Ireland, we thought that maybe they did things differently and didn't think too much about it.

Not being able to sleep, we slipped into the pub next door, which is frequented by some really unfriendly locals. After one beer we were out and back to the sad, little room. I spent the rest of the night peeking out the window at our rental car intermittently due to sketchy activity on the street. We left without breakfast, as we did not want to spend another minute in that place (and to be honest, we thought the nasty host might poison, or at a minimum spit in our food). If you plan to visit the Antrim Coast, I recommend not visiting Portrush at all and just skipping straight to a B&B outside of town or the hotel near the Giant's Causeway, which looked quite nice.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Londonderry
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our stay was a total nightmare. I was given a broken key and got ignored when I told the lady about it. She then made me pay a fiver to fix the key which was already broken which I found ridiculous. The lady demanded another £5 off one of my mates to get in the door because she forgot her camera and then accused us for wetting the bed! (how childish). Verbal abuse was given constantly, shouting in our faces.

DOT NOT STAY HERE, THIS B&B SHOULD NOT BE OPEN AT ALL. APALLING SERVICE

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I was recommended this B&B by the Coleraine Tourist Board who have it on their 'approved' list. I would say that this raises the question of how bad somewhere has to be to be on their 'unapproved' list.

The process of booking was fairly straightforward, but a lot of key aspects of the B&B were kept from me until we got there, and a room with no view (but that did include, at no cost, the aroma of the establishment's staff smoking underneath our window).

The carpets are old and tired, but it was the finish of the place that would suggest that it (like its neighbours) should be razed to the ground and replaced with something altogether more modern. Deep brown shag pile carpets led to our door. The towels in the room were ancient, worn and tatty, and bore only a passing resenblance to the whiter they probably were decades ago. The place hasn't had a lick of paint or patch of wallpaper in many, many years.

The breakfast the next morning nearly OK, but served on tiny plates. Orange juice was served in glasses the size of thimbles. The coffee (served in a pot) was cheap instant, and the tea was weak as water. Toast was nice.

The whole place felt like it was on its last legs and everything was geared towards cost cutting at every opportunity, perhaps milking it before the inevitable swinging ball of fate collapses this place once and for all.

All this for £80 for one night. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else - preferably outside Portrush which is a town which feels like it lost its self respect a long time ago.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to An Uladh? Share your experiences!