I went to the zoo for the first time in years (last time was probably 20 years ago) and was so disappointed.
1) The price for what you get is a disgrace (£21 for 2 adults).
2) As soon as we paid I used the toilet and it was so dirty. The floor was saturated with what I hope was water (thank god I didn't wear sandals that day). There was no hand towels and dryer wasn't working.
3) We decided to get a bite to eat before beginning our walk about at the lions den, which reminded me of a dirty school canteen. It was nearly impossible to find a clean table. The food was a bit gross and overpriced.
4) After eating we started exploring the zoo. I noticed straight away there is loads of rubbish lying everywhere (including in the animal enclosures).
5) Its a very steep walk and pretty hard going in places but I'm from NI and I knew to expect that. Still I would not recommend anyone who finds hill walking challenging to go to Belfast Zoo.
6) The range of animals is ok. They did seem a bit fed up and depressed.
7) In the 3 hours I visited I came across 1 staff member who was talking about the monkeys to a lady and there was also a few people in crappy animal suits interacting with the kids. The zoo in general seems very understaffed.
To conclude we had a good enough day but you can have a good time anywhere with the right company. It's such a waste. Belfast Council need to get their finger out and sort the place out. It's got so so run down.
If you own or manage Belfast Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.