“Said to be 'quirky & quaint', really 'quite dull'!” 2 of 5 stars

Bushmills Inn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Dunluce Rd, Bushmills BT57 8QG, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Bushmills
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“Said to be 'quirky & quaint', really 'quite dull'!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I went to this hotel for our 20th wedding anniversary. We have lived in Northern Ireland all our lives and are to keen to explore' door step treasures'. We researched and came up with quite a few contenders but as we had never been to this hotel we decided to find out what all the hype was about. On arrival we thought that the roadside of the hotel was quite basic but as we went around to the side entrance we were pleasantly surprised. This area opens up nicely and is very well done using authentic local stone....very pretty. On entering we found the reception area to be basic and functional, no more, no less. The staff were efficient and friendly, A+. When we got to our room, one of the original old ones, we found it to be.... mmm...... and I mean NO OFFENCE by this, but, geared towards the American visitors. Old and quirky....NO, sorry, just old! With squeaky doors, lose taps, dirty and worn carpet and unfortunately someone else's hair in the sink, this is not what we expected from a 4 star hotel. Perhaps the food would be better.
At dinner we were escorted to an old wooden booth, a bit like an old pub from 40 years ago. 'Quaint but detached' we suggested to each other, 'the food is supposed to be great!'. My wife and I both ordered steaks, one medium one medium rare. When they came my plate, medium, was swimming in blood and it was quite visibly still oozing from the top of my meat. We also ordered garlic chips which consisted of the frozen sliced potatoes you would get in a supermarket with some garlic crushed over the top. My wife's champ was micro waved and had obviously been reheated as it was stiff, dry and had a yellowy appearance. The meat was ok to eat but nothing special.
Overall the meal including starter and dessert was edible but decidedly AVERAGE but at top hotel prices. We have eaten in many hotels throughout Northern Ireland over the years and have to say that this meal was one of our biggest disappointments. Prices for food and drink are high and not good value as there are many other places around with lesser reputations than the Bushmills Hotel but with much higher standards of food and accommodation. Obviously geared for foreign visitors and being sold as traditionally irish I would suggest that quite a few holiday makers may agree with my comments. On the plus side, our breakfast was delightful. It was cooked fresh and you could tell, but not enough to make us go back. Not the 'door step treasure' we thought we were going to get...sorry!

Room Tip: New and old rooms....big difference!

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Given the other reviews I thought it worth making clear exactly which hotel I am reviewing, hence the review title. Our experience was of a very high quality, quirky hotel with extremely attentive and helpful staff. Moreover, we stayed for 2 nights and found the quality of both breakfast & dinner to be extremely high.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Having previously enjoyed a superb lunch, we decided to revisit : what a mistake ! The bar where we previously had a great lunch was closed and the only option was in the restaurant which still served sandwiches or something more if we liked. We chose what we came for; a sandwich each. At almost £6.00 a piece we were anticipating something very special - the menu read well and appeared to promise some wonderful intregientents served on bloomer bread. The staff didn't seem that keen to take an order - we were being looked after by someone whose name I missed instead.I foolishly ordered prawns and Marie Rose sauce at a premium price to the standard sandwich fare.I got what were (I must only assume ) frozen prawns as they were absolutely tasteless - with a dollop of ketchup , set in couple of slices of bread ( nothing else !! ), a few bits of tasteless tomato and a few crisps on the side: that was it for £6.25! I have had superior sandwiches - and better filled - from petrol stations at a fraction of the price. What a disappointment that nostalgic thoughts brought us back,when there were so many other superior places we could have eaten in elsewhere in the area ,and saved ourselves a fortune at the same time. No way will we return for that.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
inverclyde, scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely freshly-cooked food, friendly staff and awesome toilets on the first floor! Great place to visit after a morning exploring the Giant's Causeway.
Of course, it helped that it was a bright, sunny, (if cold) day so we even sat outside with our coffees!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked a table for 4 for Sunday Carvery Lunch on 7th April. First problem is the "small dinner plate" which results in food being "piled up on the plate", and does not look attractive. Next problem was the quality of the food served , which was cold. !! We had friends with us & I did not want to cause a fuss , but when we were leaving in the car I passed a comment to my wife my main course was cold , to which she added , so was mine ! I called the hotel last evening to register my complaint, pointing out I knew I really should have mentioned it at the time , but when you are entertaining friends it can be rather embarrissing to complain. The duty manager agreed to take my complaint to their management team meeting today . Just received a call from the manager to advise they were sorry but would not offer any discount of my already paid bill , as I should have drawn it to their attention at the time. So if you want a cold Sunday carvery go to the Bushmills Inn. If you expect your meal to be hot & it is cold, complain immediately & do not be embarrissed. Next day is too late !!!! Do not think I will be back as there is an abundance of fine restaurants in the area that care for their customers and serve hot food. !!!!!

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel, only used the restaurant
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently visited the restaurant and had a beautiful meal. The staff were very helpful as I had just been through an operation and could not walk very far.

The staff accommodated me in every way to ensure my table was close to all amenities and nothing was too much for them.

The menu had an excellent selection and the food was beautifully presented.

What more could you want, a relaxed atmosphere, great hearty food, great location fabulous surroundings and the best staff.

I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel on a couple of occasions but not on this restaurant visit, all rooms ar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at Bushmills Inn. We booked a one night stay in order to break a journey and we were delighted with our choice. The staff are wonderful and I hope the Bushmills Inn appreciates them - they did the hotel proud. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and our room was very comfortable and very clean. The breakfast the next morning was just perfect. I highly recommend the Bushmills Inn and their lovely staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bushmills Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!