“Should have been better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Carrickfergus

You added Clarion Hotel Carrickfergus to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Carrickfergus
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Belfast Road, Carrickfergus BT38 8PH, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Should have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had lunch one day in this hotel. The reception area and the restaurant itself are lovely. The food was not good. A prawn pasta starter had barely any prawn and the main course was not hot and was really very poor. We did not complain at the time because I suppose it was as described on the menu but really it had no taste and was not helped by the almost black gravy.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Oldham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My Husband and I have just returned from a Shearings coach holiday to Carrikfergus, visiting the Giants Causeway and Belfast.

Once again we have not been disappointed. The trip itself was excellent and our Driver martin was very informative and amusing.

The Clarion Hotel is really nice with a good warm welcome when you arrive, the rooms are really spacious and good value for money. Breakfast was very good with a good variety of choice. Evening Meal was set as it was for the coach trip, but there was a choice so it catered for whatever your preference was, it was delivered hot and it was very tasty.

The Hotel itself is only approx.11 miles from Belfast and the town of carrikfergus is worth a walk around, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Hotel. Belfast is easy accessible by train or bus and they run frequently and quite reasonably priced.

Giants causeway is definitely worth a visit, though the weather wasn't the best on the day we went, we still enjoyed it.

Belfast is a great city - perfect for shopping and the bars are particularly great with a really warm welcome wherever you go.

If you want a City Break and value for money I would recomend this trip.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for 2 nights in March. We were looking for hotel close to Newtownabbey and this fitted the bill and best of all it was a great price for bed and breakfast.

The day we arrived there was a wedding in full swing so they weren't serving food in the bar but they directed us to the restaurant where friendly staff made us exactly what we wanted - just a sandwich and soup.

Breakfast was the usual buffet style but the food was piping hot and regularly replenished.
One thing that impressed us was the sound proofing. On the second night we sat in the bar for a drink while there was an event in the function room - with the door closed you could hardly hear it.

Overall a really nice hotel in a goo location

Room Tip: The executive rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On Mothers Day I booked for our family, 17 people including kids to go to the Carvery in the new Loughshore Hotel - we had been to the Clarion multiple times so forsaw no issues.
We were greated with 2 separate tables with only 8 seats each. Forgetting we were 1 seat short the fact that we were shown to 2 tables shocked us so we asked why we weren’t on one table (as we have been the last 3 years in row when we have brought our large family party to your Carvery), to be told “You needed to specify when booking if you all wanted to sit together” – Please tell me why on earth I would make a booking for a party of 17 people and want to sit apart? Not once was I ever told this on 4 different occasions I spoke to staff prior to the day of our booking. The manager and one other member of staff didnt care and we were basically told tough, take it or leave it when we asked if we could get a new table to fit our party!
I have now written to the hotel with a complaint and chased a response 3 times! Clearly Customer Service is not top of their list!
I will not be back and neither will a lot of our family and friends!

Room Tip: Never stayed and would never wish to!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a terrible experience in this hotel, When we checked into the room the bath had something black in it, We phoned reception and asked for a manager we were told they weren't available 1 1/2hrs later a receptionist came up and cleaned it. They weren't able to do this as the bath was worn.
Breakfast the next morning was a disaster the food was cold, we had to ask numerous occasions for tea to be brought, asked for brown wholemeal bread was told they didn't have any. Food was greasy. Very little to choose from. Probably the worst hotel ive ever stayed in. The bedroom aswell wardrobe didn't have any door and the lights in the room were very poor. This is a hotel to be well avoided at all costs

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Now the Loughshore Hotel. Recently refurbished. Fortytwo invited to a belated wedding party
in a private room with bar. Good selection of food and competently served. All overseen by a manager who was in attendance most of the evening. A good, convenient venue. Next conference room to 'ours' hosted the NI championship of Thai boxing which raised the fear of noise. Needn't have worried as the noise insulation is good. All in all, first class.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We travel to a lot of hotels. This one looked good and offered free wifi so we could carry on working when we arrived.
The free wifi lasted 20 minutes, although you could log in twice. £5 for a voucher for the wifi, so in fact - not free.
The next day, the internet didnt work. They reimbursed one voucher but not the other. Also my partner went to a meeting which over run. So I should have checked out by 11. I didn't know this so when I called to complain about the interest the receptionist said I should have checked out or pay an extra £10 per hour. I agreed to the £10 per hour.
Then a cleaner knocked on my door asking me to leave. I informed her I was paying the extra fee, to which she replied you have to leave we need to clean the room.
So regardless if your paying, you have to leave.
So I told her again what I was doing and she said oh are you happy with that? I said yes and she walked off.
I found her very rude.
We visit Ireland monthly but will never stay here again and neither will colleagues.
Staff very unhelpful, what happened to customer service?

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel Carrickfergus? Share your experiences!