“:) *****” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Cookstown
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“:) *****”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Lovely welcoming staff, were even going to go out of there way and get me a sandwich made for breakfast as I was leaving before breakfast was served but as I checked in late and the cheff was about to leave I declined there kind offer. Would definitely stay again.
Ben.a.appleby
(Ness furniture)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear BenA

Thank you for taking the time to post your review - we are, needless to say, delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am particularily pleased that staff went that little bit further to ensure you didnt leave on an empty stomach! Sometimes a little gesture like that can mean so much so I thank you for sharing that with us!

Looking forward to wecolming you back

Paula Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on business.

Staff at reception and in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.

Room was average size but well appointed and very comfortable. The bed was a bit too soft for me, but that's a personal preference. Bottled water was available in the room. There didn't seem to be a safe there for use.
The bathroom was a good size but did not have a bath, only a shower (which was very powerful).

I ate dinner in the restaurant and it was very good quality. Service was attentive and quick.
Breakfast is self-service, except for tea/coffee. I ordered poached eggs, instead of the fried available at the buffet service, and found the service to be slow.

I wasn't too keen on the corridors to the bedrooms. They are very narrow and have far too many doors along the way.

I didn't use the spa / leisure facilities during my stay so can't comment on these.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear XShellyx,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments following your stay in the hotel recently. We are delighted with your positive comments regarding the accommodation, food and service received. I have to agree with you about the narrow corridors in the older part of the hotel - the legacy of an architect with not much imagination me thinks!!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope you will have the opportunity then to experience the excellent leisure facilities here.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in a family room, lovely and clean, large bathroom, great power shower, big flat screen tv.
Staff were very friendly and welcoming, breakfast delicious, my wee girl loved the pool and especially the jacuzzi.
All in all a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Tony1968s

Thank you for your very kind comments fololwing your recent stay in the hotel. We are delighted that the accommodation and leisure facilties were to your satisfaction!

We're glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed the Leisure Centre in particular - She has the right idea, relaxing in the jacuzzi!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed there on a special deal - One nights stay and entrance into Sense Nite Club... we had a ball.. great helpful staff on front desk (Roslyn).. couldn't do enough for us. Rooms are grand too, exactly what you need.. Breakfast a bargain at £5pp.. beautiful food.. Bouncers could be a bit better, someone tumbled my friend twice and they put her out :( but what ever the night was near over anyway.. would still highly recommend, club has great atmosphere too..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Jois85

Thank you for your very kind comments following your stay in the Hotel and your visit to Sense. I like your punchline 'Staying makes Sense"!

The staff are always delighted to be recognized for their hard work - its a great bonus!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and Sense and thanks for taking the time to post your review!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had a business event here recently and every one of the staff in this Hotel were friendly accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. I would whole heartedly recommend this Hotel for a business trip or a leisure trip. We had a meal in the hotel restaurant the night before the event and the service again was top notch and the food was beautiful. The leisure facilities are modern and the pool was spotless. The reception staff were very welcoming and a special mention to Ros and Eimear who deserve cake for being so helpful !!

Dear Shaun K

Thank you for your very kind comments and also for sharing your birthday cake with Ros and Eimear!

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and were so happy with the accommodation facilities, the leisure centre, the food and especially the staff!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The spa was a great escape after the pressures of a busy day. We went mid week and were two of only about 10 people staying there. and so had the place to our selves mostly. I can imagine it would get a bit crowded once a lot of guests arrived and they have the capacity of accommodating a great many people. The steam room and sauna would get a bit claustrophic if there were many more folks arriving. The pool is a good size and there is an adjustable temperature shower pool side.

The room we had was spacious as was the ensuite and the shower was an older model but really good power.

We found the overall decor a little dated but the staff were very friendly and accomodating.
There was good signage for the fire exit and procedure and over all we enjoyed our stay.

on the down side the electrical items in our room had not been tested since March 2011 and we were disappointed with the meal we had in the restaurant. The soup was basic and our main meal was dry. We also had a lot of misunderstanding with the waiting staff. on two occassions we were brought the wrong dish and these dishes later appeared on our bill.
On the positive side we did receive the correct dish at the end of the course and the manager did not charge us for that dish

At breakfast the staff were all very friendly, going out of their way to greet us and the self service hot breakfast was basic but cooked and kept well.
I would definately stay at the hotel again for a business stop over however I would eat my evening meal elsewhere.

Room Tip: the rooms overlooking the river were spacious and not over looked.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Tina4009,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay.

I am sorry that there was some confusion about your side orders & that your meal service was not up to our normal high standard - I can assure you that this will addressed during staff training. I hope that the next time you stay you will dine with us and comment favourably afterwards!

I am glad you enjoyed the use of Club Riveira during your stay. It is a super facility, surprisingly often under utilised by our guests!. The staff will be delighted with your positive comments about them!

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Kind regards

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here on business in early February. I spend 4 weeks of the year in Northern Ireland. Cookstown is central and close to my customers so it is a good location. Last time I stayed here there was a problem with the wireless internet (from memory it is serviced by Bitbuzz) and again I was told there was no wireless internet available in the rooms. Whether it is coincidence or an ongoing problem (I have a feeling it is the latter), it needs to be sorted out because if the hotel wants mid-week business trade this is essential. I was very disappointed as I need to catch up with e-mail every night. If I stay here again I will get a cast iron guarantee when I make the booking that the internet is working. It did work in the lobby but I did not want to spend several hours crouched over a coffee table down there.
I ate in the bar and the food is OK. The menu is a little bit bland in my opinion but that is a personal choice. I had steak and baked potato. For some reason they brought 2 baked potatoes. One would have sufficed. For the hotel I think they think customer satisfaction is about putting a large portion in front of someone.
I believe the hotel's main source of revenue is weddings and judging by the other reviews they focus a lot of attention into that and clearly they are very good at it.
The rooms are clean and the bed comfortable so I slept well. I was initially put in the hotel annex 3 floors down and in a family room with 5 beds in it (also a right trek from reception), but it was a bit creepy so I asked to be moved above reception which is closer to reception and the bar, and that was fine.
If they sort out the internet I would stay here again, but I do think they should improve the menu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear PhilExport,

I was very sorry to learn that your overnight stay was marred by the lack of Internet service to the rooms. We have indeed been having some problems with it recently and thankfully Bit Buzz along with their colleagues in BT were able to establish some service for us in the public areas. Whilst we fully accept that this is not ideal, we did feel it was preferable to no service at all!

I can’t really comment on the state of the internet service during your previous overnight stay 6 months ago but as with all technology we do on occasions have difficulties. Having just endured 48 hours of no internet service at home I can fully appreciate your frustration!

I was disappointed to learn that you found the food in the bar bland – it is unfortunate that you did not bring this to our attention at the time when we would have been in a position to offer an alternative. The menu changes regularly including many seasonal offerings – if you like a steak can I recommend McAtamneys Medallions of Beef with Red Onion Marmalade, Blue Cheese Croute and a mini bucket of chips? Very tasty!

Thank you for your kind comments about the accommodation. I am glad the receptionist was able to accommodate your request to be moved to a smaller room.

I trust that any return visit to the hotel will have a more satisfactory outcome. Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life and whilst we can take every step open to us to ensure there is no recurrence with the internet problem – I am sure you will appreciate ultimately we are at the mercy of external agencies over whom we have no control.

Yours faithfully,

Paula Wilson

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!