“Awful room, awful bed, staff poor, decor dated, food disgusting.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Glenavon House Hotel to your Saves list
Glenavon House Hotel
52 Drum Road, Cookstown BT80 8JQ, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Cookstown
“Awful room, awful bed, staff poor, decor dated, food disgusting.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel once, never again, food was rubbish, beds were horrible, staff not much better, they were very unhelpful and lacking in hospitality and the rooms were seriously overpriced. We were told by staff that rooms were recently updated, not sure who they paid but I would be asking for a refund!! Walking through the hallways you can smell a damp smell. I like to pay for a service and enjoy the stay, couldn't wait to get home from this one!!

• Stayed September 2012
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Melodycool1,

I was perturbed to learn of your dissatisfaction following your stay recently.

I was also very surprised as both the Bride and Groom and other wedding guests who stayed were very complimentary about many of the aspects which you have now complained about. As you did not at any time draw our attention to these matters when you were in- house, there is unfortunately very little I can do now other than to offer our apologies for the shortcomings, perceived or otherwise.

Yours faithfully,

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our kids love these large hotels whose main business is on their venue hire. Not displaced by the guests at weddings, there are all the bonuses that come from a large hotel: a good pool, decent food etc.

Cookstown hasn't got much going for it, but for us it was a usefull stopping off point on our way to the North West using the scenic Sperins route.

• Stayed August 2012
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Mike_registrar,

We were delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us recently - the pool is a big favourite with all our guests but the little ones in particular!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here on two occasions, both for a nightclub break! The offer that runs with the nightclub was extremely good value for money, (67.50 dinner, bed and breakfast) so I would find it hard to justify complaining! The dinner was just ok, (again at such value I can hardly complain) although the staff in the restaurant where very welcoming and obliging! I attended both times with friends and where always put next to people there for the same reason ( the nightclub attached) which is a brilliant idea as we might have made a tad but of noise getting ready! All In all I think this hotel is spot on! I see a lot of bad reviews about noise, staff etc and don't think they are justified, it's obvious the hotel is doing all they can to separate the leisure guests from the quiet break ones! I will b back very soon :)

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Laurenshaw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it's great to have our efforts to meet the needs of "quiet and not so quiet guests" acknowledged!

We are delighted to hear that both your visits have been enjoyable experiences and look forward to welcoming you back!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Attented a wedding on 16th Aug 2012 in the Glenavon House Hotel, upon entering the hotel it was very hard to make out where to go, staff did not even say Hello, They kind of look you up an down and continue to chat amongst themselves! Sitting down to the meal, the plates were literally just set there, again staff were sour faced. Not even finished the starter an there was 2 staff members standing right behind our table watching us to see when we were going to finish, very off putting! The dinner I cannot fault apart from the plates, with just the potatoes and meat the plate was full and then they come round an decide to just throw the veg on top which makes you unable to cut anything on your plate, very small! Also they are slightly outdated looking reminds me off something my grandmother would use. The rest of the meal service was average. The room was boiling and we asked for air conditioning to be turned on and were told it was, the windows didn't open, and the air con was def not on! That evening upon going to the toilets out in reception at bottom of the stairs there was a load off girls no more than 20 taking up the toilets before heading into the attached night club known as sense! Not very classy. There was a guy sleeping up by the hotel rooms, drunk, who has quite simply strolled in from the nightclub. By this stage the air con had been turned on. Outside the hotel there was sports cars parked all over the place with young guys watching people go into the nightclub, a girl arguing with her partner, 2 guys arguing, drunks, noise. I must say I did not feel one bit safe trying to get into my vehicle. I had not booked a room to stay as I had been made aware they were quite noisy when the nightclub was on. Upon leaving the hotel my wife an I had still not been spoken to by a member off staff since arriving that day. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is far from classy, elegant, it is over priced an dated!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Liketo T

I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction following your attendance at a wedding last Thursday. I was also very surprised as both the Bride and Groom and other wedding guests who stayed were very complimentary about many of the aspects which you complained about in particular the food and the friendly staff!

The staff stand at various locations around the Banqueting Suite to ensure they are close at hand for any customer who has a request during courses / service. The air conditioning was on and working but as you know one entire wall of the Adair Suite is made up of windows which face the sun at that time of the day which can make the room very warm – although not a common complaint in Ireland this summer! Please accept my apologies if the meal portion size was too big for your own personal requirements – we could certainly have provided a smaller portion had this been requested.

This is a very busy hotel and Sense nightclub does enjoy a large patronage. The nightclub customers are not permitted entry into the hotel unless they are checking in or dining first. Therefore the people whom you saw in the toilets were either dining prior to or staying overnight in the hotel, to attend the nightclub and as such are perfectly entitled to use the facilities.

I am amazed that you managed to spend the day here at a wedding without one member of staff speaking to you at either reception, during meal service or at the bar – but I will certainly raise this with the various heads of department concerned.

Yours faithfully,

Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Decided to spend a few days in tyrone as a treat to myself and booked this hotel as it seemed central to everywhere. Check In was good and the receptionsist was lovely but I arrived at 3 o'clock and upon trying to get to my room had to overcome the obstacles of dirty laundry in corridors and housemaids who simply would not move to ley me thorugh. Dined that night in the restaurant and the food was ok but a bit sloppy looking but the staff stole the show as they where lovely. Would stay agagin but think that a little work behind the scenes would greatly improve this generally good hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear William I

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay.

I will certainly have a word with the housekeepers about keeping the corridors clearer - we have had a lot of requests lately for late check outs and have had to change staff to a later finish time which explains why they are still about the corridors at 3pm!

Thank you for your very kind compliments about the staff - they do work very hard to meet all our guests needs and it's always nice when that is acknowledged!

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Attended a wedding reception in this hotel. We booked a room for 2 nights to attend. The reception went very well. The accommodation and food was very good. The area where the hotel scored highest however was the staff. They were very helpful and charming throughout our stay- especially the reception staff

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Angusbaxter,

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and the receptionists are well pleased with your very kind compliments!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some time in the future.

Limavady
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Massive room overlooking the river and very cheap package,free entry to the nighclub too,excellent room service food,recommended if you are visiting the area,staff were great and really couldn't find a fault with it for the price

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Halun,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post your very kind comments!

We look forward to welcoming you back to hotel.

Paula Wilson

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!