“leisure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carmarthen
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“leisure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

my wife and i stayed at this hotel to vist family in the area.
the double room was comfortable and clean with free wifi and tea and coffee.
the thing we were most impressed with was the staff nothing was to much trouble and they were very helpfull and friendly.
we enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: we stayed in an annex at the back of the hotel near the high street and found it very cosy and quite...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Oxfordshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My mother and I stayed over for one night whilst visiting family in the area. We booked a twin room but found we had a room each within one large space with a bathroom in between. The beds and pillows were comfortable and very clean. I had to do a bit of work when we returned in the evening and the internet was easy to connect to and very fast. Breakfast the next morning was also very good. Best poached egg I've had in a long time and the bacon was delicious. The hotel is situated in the middle of town and if staying on a Friday/Saturday night I would ask for a back room as I suspect it could get quite noisy. We stayed on a Sunday so it wasn't a problem with my mother's room backing onto a road. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and when I return to Carmarthen will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't face onto a road on a Friday or Saturday night as I expect it could...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

It was clean and the main building looked nice with the refurbishment; I was stuck in a flat in the car park and it was half tidy and half 1980's. Breakfast was lovely. A definite need to address the entrance to the car park and improve the shower pressure. Lovely staff.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
spilmanhotel, Manager at Spilman Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thanks for your review of our hotel

I understand what you meant by stuck in the 80s, you did mean the hallway to your room i assume? That is on the list to be refurbished once September starts as we have been so busy all summer. Im glad you had a good time with us here at the Spilman and in Carmarthen, If you do decide to visit again we would love to have you back.

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the car park entrance, it is very narrow and we do try to warn all guests before they arrive.

Evan Davies
Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Lovely bedrooms with fridge and cool bottled water, nice ensuite and shower. A nice relaxing nights sleep, close to a good choice of restaurants and good shopping. Just over an hour from the Fishguard ferry, handy stop before travelling or after a long journey.
Very tight entrance into car park.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

wales mid. glam.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

stayed for one night break,having a night out in Carmarthen
Had a room in the courtyard superior room ,large room comfortable bed spacious room
clean.,Breakfast was good. Just outside the courtyard was a wetherspoon pub,ideal for a drink and a meal,would stay in this hotel again.Staff were very good.

Room Tip: choose a superior room well worth the extra money
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We haas a lovely few days at the Spilman Hotel. Comfortable rooms and an excellent breakfast served by friendly and helpful staff. We had a room in the annexe which was generally quiet considering it is so close to the busy Main Street. The entrance to the car park is very tight, but I left this to my husband as we have a large estate car. No mishaps I am glad to say. My only quibble is that there should be more fresh fruit for breakfast rather than little tubs of sweetened fruit. However, the veggie breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Will definitely return. The pub next door serves excellent beer and the Ginger Indian Restaurant is one of the best I have eaten at. Be sure to book though as it gets busy at weekends especially.

wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here last weekend, with my husband for one evening.

Overall it was mostly good for the following reasons:

The room was a good size, very clean with a decent sized bathroom that included a new shower and cabinet unit – very smart.

The room also contained a fridge and a complementary bottle of water – which was a godsend in the current heat.

Another thoughtful and much appreciated touch was the bedroom fan! We were very grateful for that.

There were plenty of sockets all over the room – my normal bug-bare is the fact that most hotels do not have a socket on both sides of the bed (they’re always on my husbands side J)

The bed was very comfortable – we both had an excellent  nights sleep.

Excellent wi-fi signal

Complimentary tea and coffee with full fat milk instead of semi

The not so good.....

The water pressure was very poor resulting in a mediocre shower in the morning.

Breakfast....I was pleased to see that it was a ‘served to table’ breakfast and not a buffet style affair but unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. There was a bit of a wait before being served but that was not a problem as there was a polite notice on the table explaining that when it is busy things can take longer. I didn’t think it was particularly busy but cooked to order food is worth waiting for, or so I thought.

We both had a cooked breakfast but I was disappointed with the quality – the sausage was tough and not very nice and everything else was just ok, apart from the mushrooms which were great.
I’ve definitely had better breakfasts. We ordered toast at the same time as our cooked meal but that never showed up. The teapot was also too small  - after I had poured mine, my husband was left with only enough for half a cup of tea.

So to sum up apart from the breakfast I think this is a cracking little hotel. Other reviews rave about the breakfast so maybe we were just unlucky, it certainly wouldn't deter us from returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Spilman Hotel? Share your experiences!