“Everything about the place is just right.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Queen Anne

The Queen Anne
You added The Queen Anne to your Saves list
The Queen Anne
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Main Street, Great Hucklow, Peak District National Park SK17 8RF, England   |
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Everything about the place is just right.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

From the welcome by the excellent landlord, to the soft down pillows and duvet, this place was just what I needed for some R&R. The food was fair priced, perfectly cooked and tasted exceptional. A beautiful location and close to an outstanding area of natural beauty. I do not normally write reviews but felt that this had to be done! Totally recommend this place :)

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been coming to this pub on and off since I was about five when my family used to stay at the Unitarian hostel next door but one for their holidays. Anyway, on with the show - rooms immaculate, very comfortable, breakfast out of this world served up by a very friendly landlord, plenty of it and enough to set a hungry walker up till dinnertime (and at the current £69 per night for two B&B pretty unbeatable value). Real ale very good. We ate both nights, good, solid pub grub, plenty of it and well cooked by friendly smiley landlady. Lovely to see a local doing so well, bags of character. Does exactly what it says on the tin - and oh, at £22.50 for *two* 8oz rump steak and chips (with all the trimmings) and a bottle of decent house red, you can't go far wrong with that either! I have paid £17 for a comparable meal without wincing! We'll definitely be going back (again!). By the way they have just fitted new showers which are nice. Only downside that the rooms are fairly small and there is no bath but at this value and with the fabulous welcome you can't really complain at that!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms, we have stayed in the same one (B) each time. Wouldn't imagine that on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just spent the weekend here with my mum & teenage daughter, what a lovely time we had. The rooms were great with free view tv and a different entrance so there was no walking through the pub (unless you wanted to call in for a drink!). The beds were comfy with warm duvets, bathroom a nice size, plenty of hot water for the shower, no issues with water temperature and lovely thick towels. Breakfasts were great, and did us 'til well after lunch! We had evening meals at the Queen Anne both nights and food was excellent.Everyone was very welcoming-nothing was too much trouble and the locals were very friendly.
A great base to get to the local attractions which we didn't have time to see them all ....so with that in mind..we'll be booking in here again!
I'd just like to add that princekie's previous report is spot on

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was looking for something that would make my partners birthday just that little bit more special. I had passed through the Peak District a couple of times before, and had always planned on taking some time out of work just to explore some of the area, and find out a little bit more about an area that intrigues me.
My main boxes to tick before I chose a place to stay were access to attractions, reputation of the hotel and also value for money. After some in-depth searching online, I used Venere (and certain other online booking services) and narrowed it down to the Queen Anne Inn, in Great Hucklow. With an excellent reputation, and at just over £32 a night per person for a double room with ensuite (and full breakfast included), it seemed like the perfect choice. So I parted with half of my cash, and proceeded to pack my bags and get ready for a long drive down the M6. Rhonna and I were ready for the traditional English break, and after a four hour drive following some rough directions from a faded Google maps printout, we found the road for Great Hucklow, and our destination, the Queen Anne Inn.

Check in was a relative breeze. We were shown to our room, even though we were about an hour early. This was a relief to me as we were both shattered after the long drive. The room itself is similar to a private chalet, and is equipped with Freeview tv, brewmaking facilities, and ensuite bathroom. A nice touch was that the landlord/landlady had turned on the central heating, so our room was nice and warm when we entered. The room was very clean, and you could tell that the owners took pride in their pub. Outside of the room are pleasant views of the rural landscape, and there is an air of solitude and peace, even though the main trunk road to Manchester is about a mile away. The car park is visible from the room, so you can keep an eye on your motor.

The pub itself really is the hub of the community. Glynn, the landlord, is a very outgoing, informative and friendly chap, and his family did everything to make us feel welcome on our stay. The Guinness (my favourite tipple) was perfect and reminded me of the Guinness that I drink when I pop over the water to visit family in Ireland, although if you're not a fan of the black stuff then there are a few local brews available (Farmers Ale comes to mind). The locals are a lovely bunch of people, and you can keep warm by the roaring wood fire whilst you mingle with them. Wifi is available within the pub itself. That was a great relief to my partner, who is constantly in touch with her family and friends via her Ipad.
Foodwise, there is a lot of great home cooked food on offer, all served with a smile. The variety on offer is pretty good for a country pub, and calamari, pizzas made to order and quality traditional English fayre is available for a reasonable price. Another good sign is the number of local families who eat here. What was also nice was eating our evening meal and looking out at the beautiful views that surround this village.

Although it may look as if the inn is in a remote location, miles from anywhere, the reality is that the Inn is in the perfect location. Most of the sights and attractions in the Peak District are within a twenty to thirty minute radius. The charming honeypot village of Castleton (and castle) was a mere ten minute drive from the Inn. BlueJohn Caves were possibly even nearer. Chatsworth was around fifteen minutes drive. And if you don't want to drive, there is a decent bus service that will take you to Bakewell, Castleton, Tideswell and even Sheffield or Chesterfield. Regular buses run through the day, Mon-Sun. And what just might set you up for the day is the full English breakfast served at the Queen Anne. Nothing is too much trouble for our hosts: refill of coffee, no problem. More toast, coming up. The service is second to none, and we felt valued.

The full English breakfast, consisting mainly of local produce (Bury black pud, local oatcakes- nice touch) really will set you up until well after 3pm. It is quite possibly the most generous full English that we have ever eaten, and after a climb up Peveril Castle, a long walk down the river, a climb up a mountain, a roam around Chatsworth and a wander around the Derwent dam (close to the Queen Anne by the way), we were still not ready for dinner (or tea).

So all in all I would recommend a stay at the Queen Anne Inn, in Great Hucklow. The village is charming, with character (and characterful locals), and in my opinion is a complete opposite to the charmless and plastic villages that one encounters in the Lake District, where one struggles to find a pub with real locals or people under the age of 70. In essense, Glynn and his family were truly the best hosts that we have ever encountered, and really made our stay complete.The service, food, quality of accommodation and the feeling of being "looked after" really made our stay special. I am in no doubt that we shall return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just spent 2 nights at The Queen Anne, landlord Glynn and his wife are very welcoming and their hospitality made our stay complete. The breakfast was superb and we dinned in both nights the food was lovely washed down with some real ales. The locals are very friendly. Room was adequate and price was about right.The only down side was the shower,the pressure was quite low and at times the temperature would be a bit erratic. Its a good place to go walking, over all would I stay again, a definate YES

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stopped at this pub for a quick lunch, and I really wish that I had more time to stop for a few drinks. This is a lovely pub/inn, which is frequented by locals as well as day trippers. The lunch menu is quite extensive as is the drink selection.

The landlord is a friendly, talkative and gregarious chap and should be a model to all landlords. The same can be said for the decor, which is honest and is not a caricature or a theme, as are so many pubs that I have recently been to.

I reccomend this pub to all people visiting the Peak District.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Queen Anne? Share your experiences!