“Quirky & with Character ” 4 of 5 stars

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   George Street, Huntingdon PE29 3AB, England   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Huntingdon
“Quirky & with Character ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Spent one night, had a good nights sleep in the comfy four poster bed. Large airy 'Old English' style room. Clean, not modern, but in keeping with the style & age of the building. Staff friendly & helpful. Bustling bar area. Good variety of cooked breakfast with very fresh fruit and pastries. Would return.

Stayed July 2014
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am proud of my team here at the George and glade to hear that they looked after you well.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
egham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Hi .. i stayed at this hotel on the 28th June and what a lovely experience .. Leo the duty manager and all of the staff were so helpful , nothing was a problem .. the hotel had so much character and spoke to a few of the very friendly guests at the bar .
I will be using this hotel again and i recommend this hotel to anyone .

Thank you Leo and the time for a great stay .

Steve ( room 14 )

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had our daughters wedding reception at the George Hotel on 31st May and it was a great success. Teresa a and Richard thank you for making the day amazing. From the time we arrived the service was impeccable and nothing was too much trouble. Even when we had to hold the meal as the bride was unwell Teresa came to the rescue again. I can't thank you enough. Everyone commented on how good the food was, everything was hot and really tasty. The evening buffet went down well too. The bride and groom stayed in the bridal suite which was beautifully furnished. We stayed on the top floor and had a really lovely large room that overlooked the town,
Thanks again to the staff at the George got helping to make my daughters day perfect. Will be back at Christmas for my works party and looking forward to it

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
We are glad that Laura and Wesley enjoyed there day. The team and I really enjoyed working there special day, your guests were so nice. I
am very proud of Therese and how she has grown into her new role at the George.
It will be great to see you at Christmas and we hope you have a lovely summer.

Kind regards
Jason Chappell
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Looked a good venue, but average meal.
Had run out of what I ordered, and my second option, so not great on that basis as burgers are fridge/freezer staples.
Also, gin had run out, so had to wait for measure to be delivered.
Waitress forgot to charge for olives, and came with change for lower price, third choice meal, and missing gin, and asked for money for olives. We thought it would have been good customer service to have waive this charge for a few olives.
Food OK (chips good), but hardly huge portions. Adequate for a lunch.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I send my apologies for running out of a key item like Burgers, I have already spoken to the chef and upped our holding stock so that shouldn’t happen again. I am a little confused with your comment about running out of Gin as we sell 4 types of Gin and we always have a good amount in stock. I hope that your visit has not put you off the George and will visit again soon.
Stotfold, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My daughter was in hospital round the corner, I nipped out for a meal. I ordered Pate and the Hunters Chicken. The pate was literally the smallest portion I had ever seen. Literally it would not have covered a quarter of a slice of bread. The chicken was tough, the bacon on top was pure fat and it was just inedible. It was so bad I just bought a bag of crisps and left! In fairness the waitress noticed I had left the meal and asked was ok, I did say it was awful. The manager came out, he gave me a refund just on the chicken and said no one had complained before. Sorry - it was so bad I simply could not believe it.

To me its a place to avoid like the plague.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
First of all I would like to apologise that your food was not to your liking. The Hunters chicken is a very good selling dish and when you were not happy with your food I was happy to refund you as you explained what the issue was and we like our guest to walk away happy. The pate is a per-portioned item off our menu so I will feed your comments to the relevant person at our head office. As you did not comment I was only dealing with the issue you brought up. Once again I do apologise that the quality of your food was not up to the standards you expected.
Deal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently stayed at the George Inn for a couple of nights over the bank holiday weekend. The room was nice and clean and looked like it had been recently referbished. Although parts of the hotel looked tired, it was still a welcoming environment. We ate in the hotel for one of the evenings, and there was a nice variety of resonably priced food available. The only downside was the attidtude of the waitress serving that evening, although polite, we were made to feel that asking for anything extra was an inconvinience - both at the bar and in the dining room, and felt this was the case for the other customers, which was just a bit disappointing. All in all though this was a pleasant break and we would recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we at the George are glad you enjoyed your visit. I do apologise that my teams attitude let it down. We carry out a lot of team training and have monthly team meeting so I will bring your comments up at the next ones we have. Thank you again for taking the time to put your comments online and we hope to see you again soon.
Nuneaton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Back again to one of our favourite Old English Inns. This time I booked through the central booking line instead of direct with The George. I asked for first floor because my husband suffers from some mobility problems. The lady on the phone said there was a function on that weekend so would put us away from the noise. When we arrived our room 14 involved a further set of stairs and a long walk for my husband and not handy with the dog also. There was no function on so in future I will book direct with hotel. Previously our best two rooms were on the first floor one overlooking the courtyard and one overlooking the road.
Room 14 was very quiet on the Friday night as few guests in our part of hotel, Saturday was a little noisier but not unacceptable. The weather was very hot but our room overlooking the car park stayed cool with the window open. The room was very clean and bed very comfy, bathroom also good and shower fine. Wifi didn't work in room 14 but no problem as we were able to download our newspaper in the lounge.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and in the bar the second, food reasonably priced but not as good as previous visits. Breakfast good.
Staff really helpful, our dog was made welcome. Everyone seemed to be dog lovers last weekend I don't think our dog has ever had so much attention!

Room Tip: Best rooms for convenience are 1-8