“Lunch Stop” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Huntingdon
London, United Kingdom
“Lunch Stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Looked a good venue, but average meal.
Had run out of what I ordered, and my second option, so not great on that basis as burgers are fridge/freezer staples.
Also, gin had run out, so had to wait for measure to be delivered.
Waitress forgot to charge for olives, and came with change for lower price, third choice meal, and missing gin, and asked for money for olives. We thought it would have been good customer service to have waive this charge for a few olives.
Food OK (chips good), but hardly huge portions. Adequate for a lunch.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I send my apologies for running out of a key item like Burgers, I have already spoken to the chef and upped our holding stock so that shouldn’t happen again. I am a little confused with your comment about running out of Gin as we sell 4 types of Gin and we always have a good amount in stock. I hope that your visit has not put you off the George and will visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Stotfold, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My daughter was in hospital round the corner, I nipped out for a meal. I ordered Pate and the Hunters Chicken. The pate was literally the smallest portion I had ever seen. Literally it would not have covered a quarter of a slice of bread. The chicken was tough, the bacon on top was pure fat and it was just inedible. It was so bad I just bought a bag of crisps and left! In fairness the waitress noticed I had left the meal and asked was ok, I did say it was awful. The manager came out, he gave me a refund just on the chicken and said no one had complained before. Sorry - it was so bad I simply could not believe it.

To me its a place to avoid like the plague.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
First of all I would like to apologise that your food was not to your liking. The Hunters chicken is a very good selling dish and when you were not happy with your food I was happy to refund you as you explained what the issue was and we like our guest to walk away happy. The pate is a per-portioned item off our menu so I will feed your comments to the relevant person at our head office. As you did not comment I was only dealing with the issue you brought up. Once again I do apologise that the quality of your food was not up to the standards you expected.
Deal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently stayed at the George Inn for a couple of nights over the bank holiday weekend. The room was nice and clean and looked like it had been recently referbished. Although parts of the hotel looked tired, it was still a welcoming environment. We ate in the hotel for one of the evenings, and there was a nice variety of resonably priced food available. The only downside was the attidtude of the waitress serving that evening, although polite, we were made to feel that asking for anything extra was an inconvinience - both at the bar and in the dining room, and felt this was the case for the other customers, which was just a bit disappointing. All in all though this was a pleasant break and we would recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we at the George are glad you enjoyed your visit. I do apologise that my teams attitude let it down. We carry out a lot of team training and have monthly team meeting so I will bring your comments up at the next ones we have. Thank you again for taking the time to put your comments online and we hope to see you again soon.
Nuneaton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Back again to one of our favourite Old English Inns. This time I booked through the central booking line instead of direct with The George. I asked for first floor because my husband suffers from some mobility problems. The lady on the phone said there was a function on that weekend so would put us away from the noise. When we arrived our room 14 involved a further set of stairs and a long walk for my husband and not handy with the dog also. There was no function on so in future I will book direct with hotel. Previously our best two rooms were on the first floor one overlooking the courtyard and one overlooking the road.
Room 14 was very quiet on the Friday night as few guests in our part of hotel, Saturday was a little noisier but not unacceptable. The weather was very hot but our room overlooking the car park stayed cool with the window open. The room was very clean and bed very comfy, bathroom also good and shower fine. Wifi didn't work in room 14 but no problem as we were able to download our newspaper in the lounge.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and in the bar the second, food reasonably priced but not as good as previous visits. Breakfast good.
Staff really helpful, our dog was made welcome. Everyone seemed to be dog lovers last weekend I don't think our dog has ever had so much attention!

Room Tip: Best rooms for convenience are 1-8
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am sorry to hear that the central reservations team did not pass the information about your husband on. I would suggest a call to the hotel even if you book with the head office team. We can them make sure you are allocated to the correct room. I was glad to see that you did not let the room allocation spoil your weekend at the hotel. My team and I are all animal lovers so it’s great to meet them when they stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Fairford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Very convenient place to stay in Huntingdon if what you want is clean comfortable rooms with an excellent breakfast.
The George is in a fairly old building so there are a lot of creaking floorboards which were of concern to me but I found that once in the room external noise was minimal. The bathroom of room 17 was a little cramped and a tall person my find it awkward in contrast my son's room 12 had a much better bathroom , again the nature of the building prevents uniformity which has a certain charm.
This hotel is convenient , good value , helpful staff and excellent breakfasts ,

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms overlooking the hotel car park because of the risk of car alarms being set off.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the George. I know that with the George being a listed building some of our rooms are larger than others. Room 9 is a very nice room as it can be a made as a twin, double or family room and has a good amount of room for you. We hope that you will not wait for another family wedding to visit us again. Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online.
Cape Egmont, Pei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Without reservations, we dropped in by chance in the evening of a busy weekend (Easter). At a very reasonable cost, we were assigned a very nice, large, high ceilinged room overlooking the courtyard. As the pub was full to overflowing I thought we would have problems with noise and with getting dinner but neither happened. We were served an excellent meal in a separate dining room and upon retiring we found that the boisterous party sounds did not carry up to our room. The bed was large and very comfortable. Breakfast also was excellent - lots of fresh fruit, cereals and breads plus free additions of eggs and meats, including the traditional Yorkshire (big) Breakfast. All staff we met throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to up your comments online. It is great to hear that my team looked after you when being so busy over the Easter period. The team and I are very proud of the George and are working hard to improve it, so it is good to know our hard work is paying off. We hope you will drop in again soon.
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stopped here for a meal break on our recent drive south. Food was very reasonably priced but a bit disappointing. The meat portion of the mini grill was overcooked, the apple and fig crumble was burnt, the eggs and ham were satisfactory. The crumble didn't arrive and the staff had to be reminded that we had ordered it. I agree with the other reviewers about the tired decor and carpets, but the toilets were newly refurbished - but why weren't the windows in there painted?! On the plus side, the location was very good in the centre of town, with car parking, which was pay and display, but refundable if you ate at the pub. We did have quite good service too - nothing to complain about there. Maybe more care to be taken with the food and some redecoration would lift this pub/hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
My team and I at the George were disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to the George. We are working hard to improve all aspects of the Hotel & Restaurant. I am sure if you visited us again you would notice the difference from your first visit. I hope this has not put you off either the George Hotel or Old English Inns.

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!