“Pleasant hotel, good service, excellent breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 High Street, Huntingdon PE29 3TQ , England   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Huntingdon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Pleasant hotel, good service, excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Plus points - nicest hotel in Huntingdon, garden is lovely for a drink on a summer evening, handy for the town centre or a pleasant walk along the Ouse. Service was excellent. On premise wine shop.

Our room was smallish but well appointed - Bose speakers and TV, nice products in the bathroom. Air conditioned.

Fried breakfast was first class - really good bacon and sausage.

Minor downsides - little bit of road noise from the garden (you can't hear it from the rooms), and no lift to the upstairs rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Really pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Kind regards
John Hoskins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Last week my husband and I broke our journey from Nottingham to Colchester by staying overnight at The Old Bridge Hotel in Huntingdon. We had travelled to Nottingham the previous day in order to attend an inquest into the death of my brother. We had experienced a most horrendous journey to Nottingham the previous day as there was a problem on the A14 so it had taken 5.5 hours. We were feeling very tired when we arrived at The Old Bridge so it was wonderful to be greeted by the friendly staff at the hotel. We hadn't booked a table for dinner and the Dining Room was extremely busy but the Receptionist went out of her way to ensure we could eat at the time we wished to eat. What a brilliant start! It got even better when we were shown to our beautiful double en suite room. Everything in the room was absolutely wonderfully luxurious - not at all in an over the top way but in the style of a lovely chic, country house. And ooooh the bed - it was the type you just wanted to fall into, with gorgeous huge continental style pillows - lots of them, in beautiful white cotton to match the beautiful white cotton sheets. This was just what we needed. We went down to dine in the superb Terrace Dining Room and our evening was made even more memorable by the delicious food we chose. Super hake, samphire and parsley risotto followed by one of the finest puddings I have ever eaten, a rich chocolate and nut torte served with pistachio Ice cream on a bed of the most heavenly salted caramel sauce -ummmmmmmh! Thank you Chef. We both had a wonderful, much needed night's sleep and woke up fully refreshed and ready to go down for our beautiful breakfast. Such choice - certainly the only time I have ever seen a bowl of fresh cherries on the breakfast bar. This is a truly unique, beautiful, individual hotel. It is not a chain hotel and by golly you sure can tell. The warm management style I suspect reflects the personality of the excellent Manager whose team really do her justice. We just did not want to leave and we will most certainly be back. We always do call here when travelling to and from Colchester to Nottingham because we love their delicious steak sandwiches. Wouldn't it be wonderful if other hotels in this price bracket could meet the standards of The Old Bridge at Huntingdon.

Room Tip: Just go through the rooms shown on the website and talk to the Reception. All rooms are totally indi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Tricia your amazing review is a huge boost for staff morale. We have had a very busy few weeks and of course most guests are happy but we tend to spend most of our time worrying when things go wrong. So it's great to get such a lovely endorsement for everyone's efforts.
Many many thanks
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I had a reservation here for 2 nights on the 24th and 25th July (that is two weeks today) for which I paid £240 for in April. My husband is unwell and I need to cancel. On phoning a few moments ago I was told, in no uncertain terms, that as I had paid in full refunds are not given. They have had my £240 sitting in their bank account for 4 months and they are not prepared to give any refund, I think this is quite outrageous.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
I am sorry Barlinda, but this is a misrepresentation.

You booked 2 rooms on a Paid-in-Advance rate. This gives you a discount for paying in advance. On the website where you made the booking, and on your confirmation (which I have in front of me), it makes it absolutely clear that this special rate is non-refundable.

I should add the in fact you booked, apparently by accident, 3 rooms. The system confirmed to you that you had booked 3 rooms so you rang the hotel and asked for us to allow you to cancel the other 2 as it was so early. We agreed to this straightaway of course.

Now, 2 weeks from arrival, you want to cancel the booking. But you think it is outrageous that we are not refunding a non-refundable rate. You also claim to have rung the hotel. Neither myself nor our General Manager nor our Head Receptionist has had any message from you. I would have thought that if you felt you had a 'special case' you might try and contact us - rather than just try and defame us on Trip Advisor. And the wording of your report is misleading - if a receptionist did indeed confirm you were not entitled to a refund then it was simply because you had booked a non-refundable discounted rate; and of course you already knew this very well.

If you read this I suggest you withdraw this report and contact me directly.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went to the Old Bridge to celebrate mine and friends birthday.

Firstly... the outside of the establishment... WOW! The Ivy covered exterior was absolutely beautiful and the courtyard out back was lovely for such a sunny afternoon.

When we arrived we went into the wine shop to do the tasting experience. There were four of us and we opted for a £15 taste card each. We had a selection of white and red wines and some ports as well. We sat in the shop and admired the selections they had. The woman serving was really informative and friendly.

After we'd had our fair share of wines its fair to say we needed something to eat so we ventured into the outdoor courtyard where we ordered a bottle of Prosecco (well it was a birthday!) and some food. The Prosecco we ordered was £13.50 in the wine shop yet we paid £27 to eat it less than 30 seconds away from the shop... Expensive corkage in my opinion.

Myself and my partner enjoyed the steak ciabatta and home made chips; the mustard and onions inside the ciabatta suited the dish perfectly. Another of the party had a cheese toast melt and homemade crisps whilst the other had the Ploughmans platter. All the food was lovely however we found that the Ploughmans was rather small and not filling.

Next we had the scones with jam and cream... these were gorgeous... the perfect looking scone. The staff were lovely and offered to provide us with more cream and jam if needed.

After the food we went back to the shop to get a bottle for the train ride home, the assistant in the shop went into the store to get us a chilled bottle rather than one straight off the shelf.

All in all the dining experience was well worth it and the wine tasting was fun and would be highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you Emma - we are so pleased you had such a good time.

If i can just explai the "corkage". All bottles of wine in our wine shop are sold at between £10 and £15 more in the restaurant - depending on the wine. At first sight that might sound a lot. But I can only promise you (honestly!) that it isn't. Every restaurant has to make a reasonable margin on its wines in order to pay the rates, staff, glasses etc etc. Whereas if someone takes a bottle home the costs to us are much lower (and they often buy a case so we don't need much per bottle to cover what it costs to serve them).

By way of comparison I am about to go to a wedding today in Oxford with some friends in a good (but not expensive) brasserie-resturant; and they are paying £15 corkage per bottle of still wine; £20 for sparkling. In fact we are generally praised by the guides for our value-for-money on wine. Where it really works is for the expensive wines. An extreme example might be 1981 Chateau Margaux - £280 in the shop and £295 in the restaurant!

Sorry for the long response but I felt I should try to explain how it works.

Thanks for your positive review and I hope we can see you again.

Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Have eaten here a number of occasions and enjoyed their most excellent wine bar and shop.
The chicken salad is delicious and I've always enjoyed top notch service from staff who know the menu and service with a smile. Wine shop offer an amazing tasting session and have a great selection. The ambience of the hotel is just right with a real fire utilised during dull summer days and then roaring in the winter. A real gem nestled on the outskirts of the town - head there on a sunny day and enjoy alfresco dining which is very comfortable. I haven't stayed in the hotel as it's local to me but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as I myself have been recommended by a work colleague who did.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you Michelle. Really appreciate your enthusiastic support of what we do.
Regards
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited for dinner with a large group.
All staff very friendly and attentive with smiles but not obtrusive.
Food selection broad and interesting.
Food when served was exceptional. 14 meals served simultaneously, all hot abd perfectly presented, and of course the most important thing, absolutely delicious.
I recommend the scallops, and the duck confit, both really special
Thanks for a great occasion

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you ParGolfer72. Small parties are really important for us, so it's great to hear you had such a good time.
Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times in the last month on business. Both times I have been in a large double on the top floor.
The service at the reception is always very efficient and friendly. The rooms have super comfortable beds and top notch linens, so a good night's sleep is always guaranteed, although be warned, even with secondary glazing the room shakes when lorries set off from the junction right below your window, but it wasn't an issue for me, as I am not a light sleeper.
The room was large with air conditioning if required. The bathroom was spotless with a separate, large cubicle. Plenty of Miller and Harris toiletries available and lots of towels.
Fresh milk is delivered when requested to make tea and coffee. The food in the restaurant and bar is top quality and service is efficient and friendly. It is worth having lunch and dinner here, even if you're not staying.
The only reason that the Old Bridge has lost a star is the service at breakfast. It is so cold and even intimidating that it spoils the wonderful food. On my last visit on the first morning, I said I was in a rush but still hadn't had my requested tea after 15 minutes and there was only one other guest present. On the second morning my cooked option arrived so quickly, I was still eating my fruit. When it was brought back out, it was cold. When I explained this to the waiting lady, she very loudly made me feel very stupid and stormed back into the kitchen with my plate. Not what you would expect from this calibre of hotel. But this won't stop me from returning, as it is the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you lisaplaces. We really appreciate your endorsement and all the lovely details you mention. We will have a word with the breakfast team - that is certainly not the attitude we want, or which any of our breakfast team would normally show. Apologies and please consider it sorted by the time of your next visit!
John Hoskins

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!