“Great Experience... Expensive Corkage...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Bridge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Huntingdon
The Old Bridge
You added The Old Bridge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 High Street, Huntingdon PE29 3TQ , England   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Huntingdon
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great Experience... Expensive Corkage...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went to the Old Bridge to celebrate mine and friends birthday.

Firstly... the outside of the establishment... WOW! The Ivy covered exterior was absolutely beautiful and the courtyard out back was lovely for such a sunny afternoon.

When we arrived we went into the wine shop to do the tasting experience. There were four of us and we opted for a £15 taste card each. We had a selection of white and red wines and some ports as well. We sat in the shop and admired the selections they had. The woman serving was really informative and friendly.

After we'd had our fair share of wines its fair to say we needed something to eat so we ventured into the outdoor courtyard where we ordered a bottle of Prosecco (well it was a birthday!) and some food. The Prosecco we ordered was £13.50 in the wine shop yet we paid £27 to eat it less than 30 seconds away from the shop... Expensive corkage in my opinion.

Myself and my partner enjoyed the steak ciabatta and home made chips; the mustard and onions inside the ciabatta suited the dish perfectly. Another of the party had a cheese toast melt and homemade crisps whilst the other had the Ploughmans platter. All the food was lovely however we found that the Ploughmans was rather small and not filling.

Next we had the scones with jam and cream... these were gorgeous... the perfect looking scone. The staff were lovely and offered to provide us with more cream and jam if needed.

After the food we went back to the shop to get a bottle for the train ride home, the assistant in the shop went into the store to get us a chilled bottle rather than one straight off the shelf.

All in all the dining experience was well worth it and the wine tasting was fun and would be highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you Emma - we are so pleased you had such a good time.

If i can just explai the "corkage". All bottles of wine in our wine shop are sold at between £10 and £15 more in the restaurant - depending on the wine. At first sight that might sound a lot. But I can only promise you (honestly!) that it isn't. Every restaurant has to make a reasonable margin on its wines in order to pay the rates, staff, glasses etc etc. Whereas if someone takes a bottle home the costs to us are much lower (and they often buy a case so we don't need much per bottle to cover what it costs to serve them).

By way of comparison I am about to go to a wedding today in Oxford with some friends in a good (but not expensive) brasserie-resturant; and they are paying £15 corkage per bottle of still wine; £20 for sparkling. In fact we are generally praised by the guides for our value-for-money on wine. Where it really works is for the expensive wines. An extreme example might be 1981 Chateau Margaux - £280 in the shop and £295 in the restaurant!

Sorry for the long response but I felt I should try to explain how it works.

Thanks for your positive review and I hope we can see you again.

John Hoskins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Have eaten here a number of occasions and enjoyed their most excellent wine bar and shop.
The chicken salad is delicious and I've always enjoyed top notch service from staff who know the menu and service with a smile. Wine shop offer an amazing tasting session and have a great selection. The ambience of the hotel is just right with a real fire utilised during dull summer days and then roaring in the winter. A real gem nestled on the outskirts of the town - head there on a sunny day and enjoy alfresco dining which is very comfortable. I haven't stayed in the hotel as it's local to me but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as I myself have been recommended by a work colleague who did.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you Michelle. Really appreciate your enthusiastic support of what we do.
Regards
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had a private function here, all my colleagues, many who have eaten in some of the worlds best restaurants, were unanimous in their praise of the quality of the cooking and the efficiency of the front of house staff. Organizing the event was a pleasure, attention was paid to every request and everything went as planned on the night, in my experience most unusual these days. I cannot rate The Old Bridge and it's staff highly enough. I shall return at the earliest opportunity.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you Peter H.
We look forward to seeing you again!
John
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited for dinner with a large group.
All staff very friendly and attentive with smiles but not obtrusive.
Food selection broad and interesting.
Food when served was exceptional. 14 meals served simultaneously, all hot abd perfectly presented, and of course the most important thing, absolutely delicious.
I recommend the scallops, and the duck confit, both really special
Thanks for a great occasion

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you ParGolfer72. Small parties are really important for us, so it's great to hear you had such a good time.
Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times in the last month on business. Both times I have been in a large double on the top floor.
The service at the reception is always very efficient and friendly. The rooms have super comfortable beds and top notch linens, so a good night's sleep is always guaranteed, although be warned, even with secondary glazing the room shakes when lorries set off from the junction right below your window, but it wasn't an issue for me, as I am not a light sleeper.
The room was large with air conditioning if required. The bathroom was spotless with a separate, large cubicle. Plenty of Miller and Harris toiletries available and lots of towels.
Fresh milk is delivered when requested to make tea and coffee. The food in the restaurant and bar is top quality and service is efficient and friendly. It is worth having lunch and dinner here, even if you're not staying.
The only reason that the Old Bridge has lost a star is the service at breakfast. It is so cold and even intimidating that it spoils the wonderful food. On my last visit on the first morning, I said I was in a rush but still hadn't had my requested tea after 15 minutes and there was only one other guest present. On the second morning my cooked option arrived so quickly, I was still eating my fruit. When it was brought back out, it was cold. When I explained this to the waiting lady, she very loudly made me feel very stupid and stormed back into the kitchen with my plate. Not what you would expect from this calibre of hotel. But this won't stop me from returning, as it is the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you lisaplaces. We really appreciate your endorsement and all the lovely details you mention. We will have a word with the breakfast team - that is certainly not the attitude we want, or which any of our breakfast team would normally show. Apologies and please consider it sorted by the time of your next visit!
Stamford UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We spent a Sunday night at the Old Bridge - afternoon tea, wine tasting, dinner etc.

The staff were professional and efficient, although we did wait a fair while for tea and coffee at both afternoon tea and again at breakfast.when Fabulous wine tasting facility, after which we enjoyed a very pleasant dinner in the conservatory. A rather "meaty" menu, although there was one fish dish which was delicious.

Our individually decorated four poster room was very comfortable, but I would recommend rails for hanging clothes on rather than three-way hooks for hangers. We could have had a party in the bathroom, it was so big!!

I asked for scrambled egg at breakfast and got just that - no garnish in the presentation.

We had a lovely walk along the Great Ouse towards Hartford, but there were limited things to do in the immediate area, and the hotel had no real garden in which to relax (as the weather was good).

Room Tip: Try not to get one facing towards the A14 as it can get noisy. We had one overlooking the "gar...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you LouiseC and really glad you enjoyed it.
I wish I'd had a chance to talk to you about things to do - so many recommendations, depending on what you like of course!
Best wishes
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I booked the day before and took my partner to the hotel for Dinner last Friday evening. The bar and restaurant was quite busy and it was suggested we went to the bar for a drink which we did and a waiter came and left us with the Menu and the wine list. There was a full a la carte listed or some items were stared which meant one could have two courses for just £17.00 which was great value. The wine list was very extensive as there is a wine shop as part of the hotel. We chose a very nice Rose which was only £19.95. The total bill was just under £70.00 for a very enjoyable evening.
By the way if you are a boat owner or renter on the River Great Ouse one can moor up right outside - so no driving afterwards!

Room Tip: Sorry we did not stay - we had our own boat outside!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you Gill M - and yes we do welcome boat owners onto our mooring! 50 yards and you are in the bar....
Regards
John Hoskins

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!